Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

Leroy Brown

Re: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    I cut the power to the rear wheel at the beginning of the turn and watch my line till I can gauge the turn. After which (midway) I'll match the rpms and engage the desired gear and power out of the turn.
    "Finally had my 'one' accident"

Is how the post will read.....
    SPEED SAFELY!!

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

n
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR_Nichi
    HUH? I thought when you pull in the clutch it cuts the power to the wheel.....why would you cut the power to the wheel while in a turn.....

or am I wrong here? I'm with Beotch... I sometimes downshift to slow down..but then again I also keep an eye on what gear I am in and where my RPM's are at... I never downshift if I know the gear down is way to low....

I sometimes use the back brake in a turn to calm the bike down a bit.....so far it has worked well.... I think I read this in the "Total Control" Book......
    For some reason, a lot of inexperienced riders have a panic reaction/fear to turns and think cutting all power will somehow slow them down faster (though this is way wrong). Downshifting properly, smoothly, and matching rpms will make for very cleans turns, lean angle and acceleration because you are not fighting the torque of the bike. I have been working on breaking my husband of this tendenacy (he has about 1-2 months of experience now).

For reference Bassil, there are several reasons I was breaking the rear end loose on downshifts: 1) it was cold as hell and slightly wet out, and 2) (the main reason) I was out for a spin on the 600 and was messing around with it (the bike now feels like a toy to ride compared to the beast). Though the 6 has like 1/3 the torque of my TLR, if you wrap it up in rpms, you slide into corners and trail braking while sliding can be fun when you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by Mel; Tue Oct 10th, 2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Totally agree with ya.

...... I have been working on trying to get my turns smoother, I come into the turn well but cant get the timing of applying the throttle at the right time on exit...sometimes I get it right and sometimes its choppy....Miyagi-san says mo practice Daniel-san.
    "“Don’t have good ideas if you arent willing to be responsible for them” - Alan J. Perlis"

I agree with Mel... sliding through a curve is FUN!!
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Black
    I agree with Mel... sliding through a curve is FUN!!
    Indeed!
    Last edited by Bueller; Wed Aug 1st, 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Member macktastic brake grabber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    soo.....I am going to add my experience of useless bike stuff to this thread.
    I got in like a couple months of experience this summer (like maybe 2K miles), and during that time, I have felt the rear of my bike slide numerous times when decelerating. After thinking about the situations a little more, I realized that all were while slowing and downshifting.
    I have therefore concluded that since downshifting can cause the rear to slide, it is dangerous and therefore useless as well.
    when the back tire is breaking loose a little too often it is wise to check the rear tire pressure ... if this is correct you might want to let a little out to adjust for your weight... if this does not help the way your bike handles then dont get on the back brake so heavy. if this does not help , dont get on the front brake so heavy, if this all fails just stand on the back brake as hard as you can and low side your bike into something really hard , and you WILL stop very well
    btw the tires i have seen on the back of the bikes in this club , it does not surprise me that the back brake does not work
    mack
    I would rather die on my feet then to live on my knees ZAPATA ( but i am pretty sure he stole it from a scotsman)
    81 900CBF , 77 750 auto, 73 Elsinore 50 , 2005 fat boy limited edition screaming eagle. 103 cu. in. stroker

actually i think she meant she enjoys sliding. there's a reason i run my tires at 40/42 (f/r)
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Lots of good replys. Just find a paking lot, start locking it up and adjust the rbrakes to where you like it. You need your front and back brakes. I use the back more then I should (get too hot and wears down since it so small). It keeps passangers off your back, and helps with other stunts. You just have to get use to using it.

Even though it's not possible to ALWAYS do this, but you might want to leave even more space between you and the vehicle in front of you. Of coarse, we all know that you can stop quicker by applying both front (about 70%) and the rear (30%) at the same time. If you are skidding the back tire, use less rear and more front. But if you get in the habbit of never using your rear brake, and only the front, then you will flip your bike, just as a friend of mine did. She was following too close, and was only using her front brake. A fire truck had to stop I-25 while they cleaned up the wreck.