Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

Re: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

I like to fish tail, helps with my lean, so i slam on my back brakes all the time.
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Suki
    I like to fish tail, helps with my lean, so i slam on my back brakes all the time.
    Friggin' Asian women drivers....no wonder.

Last edited by *GSXR~SNAIL*; Thu Oct 5th, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

shoulder lean?

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

werd em up dog.

i'm gangsta.
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

AKA "Devaclis"

I use the rear brake 90% of the time I break. I lock it up every now and then while practicing my "riding skill of the day" to remember how to control it. It has saved me from my own stupid mistakes a number of times.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man
    I would never call myself an expert rider but...I think it is a bad idea to quit using the rear brake all together. It is said that 70% of your braking power is with the front brake but you may need the other 30% in an emergency braking situation.
    Also, using the rear brake helps keep the bike more evenly weighted from front wheel to rear. If you only hard brake on the front, an extreme amount of weight is distributed to the front and if you don't have good contact with dry pavement, you risk having the front skate out from under you.
    I last reason I think you continue use with your rear brake... to scrub speed if you come too hot into a corner. It is much easier, while in a good lean, to knock down some speed with your rear than your front brake. At least it is for me.
    I would suggest, just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it.
    Hope I have helped some D-Man
    ^+1 and use just the front in gravel and you will be in trouble quick

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Just use the rears....pads are cheaper!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by d3spair
    Thanks for those tips, I have wanted to check some of those books out anyways.

And per above, I was paying attention, fully expecting someone to yank out which is why I full braked immediately as he was pulling out or I would have had no chance.

I'll look and see if it's easily adjustable, I'm hopefully selling it soon for a newer model anyways though. Thanks again.
    Not that I know what the exact situation was, but I'm suprised nobody mentioned not using the brakes at all and escaping with the throttle. At a certain point in my brief motorcycling career, I figured out that I have more control while accellerating than while panic braking. When something bad happens in front of me, my first instinct is to use the throttle and my backup plan is to brake once I've changed direction. Consider this option, but don't ignore the fact that if you choose wrong you can end up in the backseat of the car in front of you in a hurry.

If you've come to grips with the fact that you haven't become proficient in riding the bike you're on now, why are you considering a newer model?
    Last edited by Dysco; Thu Oct 5th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

When in doubt --- GIVE IT GAS!
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL*
    Friggin' Asian women drivers....no wonder.

Suki is just trying to practice Drifting on a motorcycle.....
    "“Don’t have good ideas if you arent willing to be responsible for them” - Alan J. Perlis"

Keep in mind that the more pressure you apply to your front brakes the lighter the rear gets hence the easier it is to lock up. I've come to notice this over time. True, 90% of your stopping ability is in the front brake; however in the event you try braking without using the front you’ll notice that instead of the miniscule 10% braking you have for the rear it will jump up to some 25%.

I can get the back brake down to screeching without locking to a science but every time I introduce the front break into the equation it varies on how light my rear gets. Moreover, you got to factor in your suspensión.

GL
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Bassil,

I've owned a couple of different ducati superbikes over the years and have never had one with a rear brake that was worth anything, much less able to easily lock the rear wheel. It's really amazing if yours is that good.

S

CSC co-founder

Rear brake is Great on a Sportbike....

1) At a stoplight on a Hill
    2) Riding on the gravel road going to the "Bucksnort"!!!
    PHX, AZ

I got jacked up one time with my rear brake fiasco,,, not fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich_R1

Actually number 1 is more correct than you realize.

The amount of braking available from the rear brake is variable depending on traction and slope.

Take this test, head down a street that is going downhill. Try using the rear brake all by itself. You will have less braking power because as you brake the bike is being slowed thus unloads the rear suspension and gravity pulls you down the hill. This is magnified if you use the front brake because you are already nose down, rear tire up in stoppie mode.

Try the same test on a steep incline, gravity and slowing pulls the bike and the rear wheel into the inclined road compressing the suspension thus increasing the amount of pressure on the rear tire allowing you to brake harder with increased effect.

This works on the front tire as well, using both brakes you can stop much faster up an incline and even skid both wheels easily on a down hill. You can apply the front brake even harder with less worry of the back end lifting off the ground or the front tire skidding.
    Last edited by R1chie; Thu Oct 5th, 2006 at 08:00 PM.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO
    Bassil,

I've owned a couple of different ducati superbikes over the years and have never had one with a rear brake that was worth anything, much less able to easily lock the rear wheel. It's really amazing if yours is that good.

S
    yeah mine locks up easy compared to some other bikes I've ridden. I think that the reason many ducs got light rear brakes is because of the way it's bled. In order to bleed the brakes you must take the caliper off of the rotor and flip it upside down (air goes up).

Doing so will thoroughly get the air out of the system. Don't understand why they would put the bleeder value inverted.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

I don't think that is it. The rear master cylinder on the Ducati's is not sensitive to pressure. In otherwords, the stock Brembo rear master is not able to push a higher psi than other (higher end), Brembo models. My '06 has a very soft feel to the rear since new. If there was an air bubble(s) in the line, then I would say that there would be allot of rear break lockage issues with them, when the line heat's up. Or at the very least, be more sensitive in the heat
    Last edited by Canuck; Fri Oct 6th, 2006 at 10:22 PM.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Most Ducati(as well as other italian bikes that shall remain nameless)have the rear brake issue due to how close the master is to the pipe... what with the undertail and all.

Relocate and your good
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Those Fucking I-teye's!
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Lets give them a fucking good kicking!!!
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

All that need be done (with nameless pasta rockets) = Castrol SRF route , wet boiling point 500 degrees.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Breaker
    Most Ducati(as well as other italian bikes that shall remain nameless)have the rear brake issue due to how close the master is to the pipe... what with the undertail and all.

Relocate and your good

and... The disk is only about 8" in diameter.
    Last edited by Mac020; Sat Oct 7th, 2006 at 08:51 AM.

That's funny.

In terms of the basic physics of it all. 100% front brake usage that picks up the rear tire about 2" off the deck is the fastest way to stop in a straight line.

However, the more front brake that gets used, the less steering response and chassis stability the bike will have.

More rear brake = greater control but longer stopping distances
    More front brake = shorter stopping distance at the loss of control

Most people never master proper rear brake control in their entire lives. They finally admit to this fact and buy something with a linked braking system.