Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

Re: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

I agree with No-coast. There are many variables to consider and apply when riding. That is why I like to do as much work on my bike as I can. Even if I'm not the one who's going to be doing the work on it I'll read about it in the manual just to ensure I know the in's-&-outs on it all e.i. suspension, HH pads, damper and everything in between, so that when it comes time to make a split second critical decision I've already integrated the bike's performances to second nature decision(s) I'd make. Of course nothing comes without practice.

On yeah on a side note, has anyone tried riding one of those bike with antilock brakes. I rode a BMW with one and those things make the bike feel "weird". I tried locking up the brake several times on it but all to no avail.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

both front and back break as close to impending lockup as possible will stop you fastest.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Black
    both front and back break as close to impending lockup as possible will stop you fastest.
    Wrong!

A heavy, stationary object will stop you the fastest!
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

like a guardrail

Have I ever told you about that one time on Monarch Pass....??
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

soo.....I am going to add my experience of useless bike stuff to this thread.
    I got in like a couple months of experience this summer (like maybe 2K miles), and during that time, I have felt the rear of my bike slide numerous times when decelerating. After thinking about the situations a little more, I realized that all were while slowing and downshifting.
    I have therefore concluded that since downshifting can cause the rear to slide, it is dangerous and therefore useless as well.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    soo.....I am going to add my experience of useless bike stuff to this thread.
    I got in like a couple months of experience this summer (like maybe 2K miles), and during that time, I have felt the rear of my bike slide numerous times when decelerating. After thinking about the situations a little more, I realized that all were while slowing and downshifting.
    I have therefore concluded that since downshifting can cause the rear to slide, it is dangerous and therefore useless as well.
    Downshifting isn't what I suppose could be called a uniform stopping pattern. As the rpms drop so too does the braking power. Downshifting woudl work well with lower speeds. But when your going 100 and want to drop down fast I drop the bike in the gear I think I'll want coming out of the turn all the while holding the clutch in and using the brakes.

Now being able to match your rpms by downshifting and taking up the slack with your rear brake as the rpms drop is what I would consider a very experienced rider.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

well since you should be accelerating through the curve, i'd have to say holding your clutch in as you say here is bad. i usually have the rear brake on most of the way through a curve (even a very high speed one). on the bemmer at least it seems to keep the back end of the bike calm. and i rarely feel the back in slide when down shifting at high speed, so i guess i'm a very experienced rider... thanks.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

So, what I am getting out of this thread is my rear brake is useless and downshifting is useless.

By listening to the advice of the group, I should just accelerate as fast as I can and use heavy stationary objects to stop myself.

I don't know how I survived this long on two wheels with out you guys!!

Thanks!!!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'm with Dallas.

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    Downshifting isn't what I suppose could be called a uniform stopping pattern. As the rpms drop so too does the braking power. Downshifting woudl work well with lower speeds. But when your going 100 and want to drop down fast I drop the bike in the gear I think I'll want coming out of the turn all the while holding the clutch in and using the brakes.

Now being able to match your rpms by downshifting and taking up the slack with your rear brake as the rpms drop is what I would consider a very experienced rider.
    Whatever happened to matching RPMs with the throttle?

Going fast>brakes>clutch>downshift>release rear brake (or don't)>yank the throttle>release clutch>release front brake (or both)>going slower

or motard style:

Going fast>brakes>clutch>stomp down the gears>feather throttle>release/dump clutch>yank on the front brake>feather rear brake (opt)>lean>slide>think about direction>wonder why you haven't before>bring tires into line>release brake(s)>yank the throttle>go again

Quote Originally Posted by dallas
    So, what I am getting out of this thread is my rear brake is useless and downshifting is useless.

By listening to the advice of the group, I should just accelerate as fast as I can and use heavy stationary objects to stop myself.

Thanks!!!
    No problem. That method totally works in every motorcycle game I've ever played.

Thanks!!!
    Personally, I don't like using the heavy stationary objects, I like the heavy portable ones. When I get going fast, to slow down I throw out a boat anchor, that way I don't have to use engine braking, front or the rear brake.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by R1chie
    Personally, I don't like using the heavy stationary objects, I like the heavy portable ones. When I get going fast, to slow down I throw out a boat anchor, that way I don't have to use engine braking, front or the rear brake.
    Your R1 IS a boat anchor......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dysco

Going fast>brakes>clutch>downshift>release rear brake (or don't)>yank the throttle>release clutch>1release front brake (or both)>going slower
    If you don't do this,(the rear brake aspect is debatable) one is asking for trouble,and it would be only a matter of time before you go wide and/or lowside.

Learn the simple art of Trail-braking
    Last edited by Canuck; Mon Oct 9th, 2006 at 07:43 AM.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Leroy Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    After thinking about the situations a little more, I realized that all were while slowing and downshifting.
    Finally the sarcastic wit that this thread deserves.

To the original poster...
    Your conclusions are erroneous.
    Learn to use the rear brake and it'll save your hide.
    SPEED SAFELY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dysco
    Seriously, isn't this common practice? At least for the canyon carvers out here? Like heel-toe downshifting in a car?

Holding the clutch through a corner? That's a joke, right? No one honestly does this, do they???

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik

<snip>
    God --- I can't believe that you said this.
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Mon Oct 9th, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY
    Your R1 IS a boat anchor......
    LOL... I suppose I deserve that for all the ugly Suzuki comments I have been throwing out lately.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Thanks!!!
    Well, duh!
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Cycle Monkeys signature is killing me! I can't see the white letters too well so it looks like:

I TAN by heritage.

A MAN by choice.

Sorry, please continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Black
    well since you should be accelerating through the curve, i'd have to say holding your clutch in as you say here is bad. i usually have the rear brake on most of the way through a curve (even a very high speed one). on the bemmer at least it seems to keep the back end of the bike calm. and i rarely feel the back in slide when down shifting at high speed, so i guess i'm a very experienced rider... thanks.
    OK, now the clutch is bad and therefore useless. Soon we shall find that the whole motorcycle is useless.

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

Hot Wheels now has better traction and cup holders.
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!