Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PMP Track Day Rules?

Re: PMP Track Day Rules?

I'd work corners for track time no problem

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

So if I'm a card carrying NESBA member I'm good?
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

For those that R going to PMP...do you guys perhaps have room for another bike and rider. Or if your bikes R going in a trailer I can haul it with my car. Please let me know or I will have to ride out there.

JP
    - 04 CBR 1KRR--***SOLD***
    - 08 Ducati 1098--Termi exhaust
    - 03 R6 (Track Bike)
    MRA #286

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO
    Twinspeed-

Are the events usually on weekdays or weekends? This is a critical question as to cost. PMP is booked most weekends during the sunny months, so it becomes tough for the track to offer such a thing during that time.

Here in Colorado we've been spoiled for a long time. "Test and Tune" days have historically been plentiful with tracks like Second Creek, CDR, PMP and La Junta all offering them. One reason they worked well was that MOST of the people who showed up had reasonable track experience and the process was essentially self-regulating. In recent years there have been two trends that are making this arrangement less possible.

1. The number of tracks in Colorado offering the arrangement have gone from 4 to 1.

2. The number of people wanting to do trackdays has gone up, many of them new to the idea.

So we are concentrating more people in a smaller place. This has led to more accidents at the tracks during "test and tune" events and increased the risk that a track takes by offering them.

I fully support PMP's decision to require some level of rider education before cutting a person loose on a track, especially a track like PMP where a showroom stock liter bike could easily achieve 160 MPH.

Scott
    The track days in Arizona are almost always held on a weekend. Once in a while they would have a Friday event, but those days are few and usually reserved for club events like the local Ducati, BMW, and\or Phoenix sportbike club.

Don't get me wrong ... I am not against education of riders, I just cannot understand why an insurance company for a track would require a class over other safety measures like an ambulance and other staff members for track control. From my past experience, you can have people on the track with track experience\education and they can still have accidents and ride like ass-hats. The ambulance and corner worker staff are there to help with both scenarios. Logic would tell me that an insurance company would have thought of these recommendations before asking for a rider education class for track access. In either case ... as long as there is a track that is relatively close for me to ride on then I will support the organization in charge.

Like I said before ... Ene, feel free to shoot me a PM if I can help in any way.

Earlene,
    Since your "previous instruction" requirement will be enforced next year and with what I would consider only informal track day training and of course my "School of Hard Knocks" which I assume you wont accept, have you set up a date for your first training class?

I'll keep an eye out in this section for the class. I know of many people that would be very interested in this type of class / day at the track. Every time I have gone to the track I have enjoyed myself immensely and look forward to spending more time there in the future and would hate to be unable to attend when my schedule allows but haven't taken your training day yet.

Thanks,
    The older I get the faster I was!

how it it decided who is elligible to instruct?

I have a ton of people emailing me that want me to coach them (both street riders, trackday junkies and racers), i have a group of street riders that contacted me and want to do an event early next year and would like to know how this would work?

I agree with Twin-Speed as i am used to trackdays being $150-$200 for an 'organised' event, dont get me wrong i would rather pay less for a test n tune day, but i know where he is coming from.
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    how it it decided who is elligible to instruct?

I have a ton of people emailing me that want me to coach them (both street riders, trackday junkies and racers), i have a group of street riders that contacted me and want to do an event early next year and would like to know how this would work?

I agree with Twin-Speed as i am used to trackdays being $150-$200 for an 'organised' event, dont get me wrong i would rather pay less for a test n tune day, but i know where he is coming from.
    Hey there Clarkie! If you are in the business of coaching riders, tell me where to sign up! You and I have spoken to each other before in the past through e-mail about my 2001 Aprilia RSVR ... well it is now a dedicated track tool and I am seriously considering racing in the MRA next season. I could always use some help. I have not been on a track in over 6 months because of us planning our move from Phoenix to Erie, so I will probably need some assistance getting back up to speed and learning a new track (or few). If you get an event going, please let me know.

Ciao',
    Karl

Update:

We held a board meeting last night and discussed this issue. We are still waiting for the insurance company to send us exactly what they consider acceptable as far as credentials for the class.

The moment we hear I will post their requirements.

Thanks so much to everyone for the input. Until we know for sure I don't want to give out any "we think" comments. Yep, we are pushing them for an answer ASAP.

Thanks to all,
    Ene

On the subject of personal instruction, I'm more than willing to offer my services as well. As a former expert-level racer (who even dabbled in an AMA 750 Superstock race back in the day!), Loudon Rookie of the Year, and all-around decent guy I will work with you at a track day for only the cost of track time; i.e. if you want a half-day you pay my $50 track fee, a full day you pay my $75 track fee.

Earlene, if newbies took advantage of this sort of thing can you say if that would constitute "previous instruction"?
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider
    On the subject of personal instruction, I'm more than willing to offer my services as well. As a former expert-level racer (who even dabbled in an AMA 750 Superstock race back in the day!), Loudon Rookie of the Year, and all-around decent guy I will work with you at a track day for only the cost of track time; i.e. if you want a half-day you pay my $50 track fee, a full day you pay my $75 track fee.

Earlene, if newbies took advantage of this sort of thing can you say if that would constitute "previous instruction"?
    Paul....my instruction bitch!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz