Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

Thread: Supermoto section

Re: Supermoto section

Hell yea I GOT BRAKES and in need to make up for sunday. Looking forward to Junction. I think #15 needs a ass whippin.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

probably gonna go practice Sat. maybe mountain street ride Sun. gonna be hot

I might be up for saturday around 3:00(should be thinned out by then). Street ride on sunday sound good 2.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet

I should be there around noon, less traffic on Sat.
    Got there @2:00 last Sun. and waited around 'till 3 to ride with the karts out there.

Hey- need new tires on my DRZ. Was going to order distanzias. How easy is it to change tires yourself? I have a couple of irons, was going to use C-clamps to break the bead (ghetto I know, but I'm in college). I'm worried about pinching the tubes, but after all my searching I have yet to find a site that even warns you about the danger. I guess most people replace the tubes every time? I've changed lots of car tires, even tubed tires, but on a skinnier rim I would think it might be hard. Any hints?

I have yet to pay someone to change a tard tire, way easier than MX wheels. I have the Harbor Freight manual changer, it has more than paid for itself. If you can break the bead it shouldn't be bad. Use some dish soap and water or windex for lube. Windex evaporates quickly so you can ride immediately after the change.

nice to hear. any opinion of the avons? I would love some more dirt traction...

Don't get your hopes up too high, the only really good thing I can say about the 'stanzias is they will last forever. You can back 'em in all day long and never wear them out. They are a "durable" compound and therefore not very sticky, no matter how many people on TT and SMJ say they stick like glue. They are down right scary on the track, ask anyone who rode my DRZ with them.
    We just rode rampart range trails (not dirt roads, but actual trails) with Pilot Powers and a worn out set of Metzler M1's and did fine. The Avons wouldn't give any better traction, if you run a 120 front on loose dirt/gravel/sand it is going to float on top no matter, and wash on you. You need to adapt our riding style. We race dirt sections on slicks and do fine. If you want good dirt traction you have to go with a knobby, it's that simple.

Better than the 208s at least, right? Now you have me thinking PPs again. That was the original plan... I have changed my mind hundreds of times since...

No

Rampart was a little much for the stock suspension on the DRZ my worn out M1's worked just fine . I wonder if the State boys caught up with the asshole in the F250
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet

Hopefully he spent some time in the hole.

Do tell. You tackled Rampart in SM trim? Hmmm... I'd like to give it a go. I see you have a 470... hows that workin out for ya?

Yea (it did ok) like I said the stock suspension sucks. The 470 kit rips but it still is way to heavy and my KTM will smoke it without even trying.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet

Meh... the DRZ is what it is. I like it. I haven't really had a problem with the suspension... although I've never really ridden a bike with a sweet set up.

Quote Originally Posted by tarded400 View Post
    I haven't really had a problem with the suspension...
    Ride it through a few miles of deep whoops and get back to us on that one

I can hear ya on that. I had a hard time setting up the suspension the way I liked it for a while, but now I think I have a decent set up. I had it tuned really hard and it worked great for canyons, but there is one particular section of road that I always seemed to hit and its a rip in the pavement and it would come damn close to bucking me off every time I went over it. So I softened it up- perfect for the bumps, but now it was totally unsteady in corners. So I sofened up the rear high speed and tightened down the low speed in the rear, and tightened up the front 1 click. Worked really well! While we're on the subject of my riding incompotency, how the heck do you ride a tard in the dirt? I see guys doing sharp U's with the rear spinning dirt everywhere. I haven't ridden a dirt bike much at all, and I don't know how I feel about sliding the tire in dirt- seems to be there and then its just gone. I know when in doubt, throttle out, but its easier said than done.