Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conoco/Morrison-Fairplay-Hartsel-Guffey-Cripple Creek-Canyon City run: Sat, 10-14-06

Conoco/Morrison-Deckers-Woodland-CrippleCreek-Guffey-Canyon City run: Sat, 10-14-06

Updated, Friday, Octobet 13, 2006, 10:00 a.m.

Several riders have been asking for a nice End-of-Season run. We'll be leaving from the Morrison Conoco at around 9:15 a.m. Saturday, October 14, 2006. The weather looks to be sunny and in the 60's. But hey, always be prepared. Don' forget to let your tire get up to cornering temperature before you try to look like "knee dragger". Cold tire, asphalt= not a good combo.

We'll plan on going up CO 74 to Kittredge and then over to Indian Hills along Myers Gulch and Parmalee Gulch. Next south on Hwy 287 to Pine Junction (gas up here) and then Rd 126 down Horsepower Hill to Deckers. From there we will go south on Hwy 67 through Westcreek and on to Woodland Park (Gas here). A short ride on US 24 over to Ute Pass, elevation 9,165, and we shall get back on Hwy 67 to Cripple Creek for lunch. Rd. 1 (gas here) will take us out of Cripple Creek to High Park Road and Rds 59/102/112. We'll loop some of these scenic roads around to Guffey and then take Hwy 9 south to US 50.

Cripple Creek:

It'll be a short run over to Canyon City (gas here)where we will take a run up and over Skyline Drive. For those of you that have not ridden on Skyline, this is one of the more interesting rides on the Front-Range. The road is a one-way that runs along the top of a mountain-like walking a high wire.

Skyline Drive:

Photo from Sky Valley Motel
    From Canyon City we'll take US 50 east to State 115. 115 will take us along the backside of Ft. Carson. After a short jaunt up I-25 through Co Springs (gas here) we'll hook up with CO 83 via MM 153/Interquest Parkway and then ride through Black Forest up to Russellville Road.

We've got a nice little jaunt off of Russellville that you'll want to remember for your winter "twistie" runs. For those of you that live on the east side of town near Parker this will be a good place to break off and head home. The rest of us will keep heading north/west and call it a damn good day's ride. We'll be getting home around dinner time.

Updated: I have contacted the Colorado State Patrol and they say that it is ok for us to travel through from Deckers to Woodland park. A Pilot Car is in use and runs are made every 30 minutes or so. This will mean that we will have a roadside delay but it is a much better route . Hwy 67 allows us through Westcreek. This route would take us from US 285 at Pine to Horsepower Hill/Deckers then Hwy 67 to Woodland Park. This is the area that was washed out from a heavy rain on July 6th.

Please note: If, for some reason, the highway dept or State Patrol won't let us through (emergency,etc)... then we'll go back up to Pine Junction and head over to Fairplay and take Hwy 9 the back way into Guffey.

This is a good run and several of us have done it a time or two this year. Not much traffic/bicycles to contend with.

See you there.
    Last edited by pilot; Fri Oct 13th, 2006 at 10:10 AM. Reason: route updated

Re: Conoco/Morrison-Fairplay-Hartsel-Guffey-Cripple Creek-Canyon City run: Sat, 10-14-06

Looks like fun. Wish it were sunday though, gotta work sat.

Re: Conoco/Morrison-Fairplay-Hartsel-Guffey-Cripple Creek-Canyon City run: Sat, 10-14-06

I'll be there.
    Patrick

Sounds great Pilot, thanks for the reco & we'll see you there.

N-

Re: Conoco/Morrison-Fairplay-Hartsel-Guffey-Cripple Creek-Canyon City run: Sat, 10-1

Yes, it should be a good ride. Looking forward to seeing all those that can make it out.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I'm in!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Re: Conoco/Morrison-Fairplay-Hartsel-Guffey-Cripple Creek-Canyon City run: Sat, 10-1

Quote Originally Posted by konichd
    I'm in!
    I thought you were going to PMP?

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I'll be back by Sat. if I go! PMP is Friday
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

I was thinking that PMP was running through the weekend. Race safely. See you Saturday.

you KNOW I'm in!!!!! Thanks for putting this together Pilot! I got my arse reemed by one of the realtors showing my house that my property needs work. I am going to be spending this beautiful day mending fences, fixing the electric fence, w-eating weeds, picking up horse shit, etc, etc.... At least this gives me something to look forward to!
    Hey! I'm unique... just like everybody else

What sort of mileage are we talking here and what sort of time do you think you'll be back at Morrison? I have to get permission from SWMBO .
    I'm the English guy - you can call me Basil (Baazul not Bayzil - that's a herb)

Quote Originally Posted by suzinpink
    you KNOW I'm in!!!!! Thanks for putting this together Pilot! I got my arse reemed by one of the realtors showing my house that my property needs work. I am going to be spending this beautiful day mending fences, fixing the electric fence, w-eating weeds, picking up horse shit, etc, etc.... At least this gives me something to look forward to!
    Have fun Farmer Fanny. See U Saturday.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by schnorbitz
    What sort of mileage are we talking here and what sort of time do you think you'll be back at Morrison? I have to get permission from SWMBO .
    Back to Morrison NLT 6 p.m. Around 300 miles.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

PILOT - I got your email but I have to work all day on Saturday. Send me pictures

Quote Originally Posted by SheDevil
    PILOT - I got your email but I have to work all day on Saturday. Send me pictures
    I think we should all quit our jobs and be bums. Wait, on second thought, it don't work to well, LOL. Back to my hash-browns.

Rider Workshop-USA

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

hmmmm.. I have been requested in Colorado Springs this weekend, I said probably can, didn't say how I was gonna get there

So, *if* I can ride, I will be dropping off just before 83.

w000t!

We gotta figure out how to make like GoogleMaps of our planned routes (when they are pre-planed as such) with like little pin marks for stopping points / fueling points.

~tommy
    Last edited by TommyTheKid; Thu Oct 12th, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

I should be able to make it.
    2003 GSX-R750 Angry Marmot Motorsports #256
    Voted "Best Smelling Exhaust" May 2006

I am in, YAY!

I may have to break off at Cripple Creek if we are running late, otherwise I will break off in Colorado Springs. Skyline (stolen image, haha) sounds like it might be scary

~tommy

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTheKid
    hmmmm.. I have been requested in Colorado Springs this weekend, I said probably can, didn't say how I was gonna get there

So, *if* I can ride, I will be dropping off just before 83.

w000t!

We gotta figure out how to make like GoogleMaps of our planned routes (when they are pre-planed as such) with like little pin marks for stopping points / fueling points.

~tommy
    ~~TommyTheKid~~

Farmer fanny? I understand the whole fanny part.... but farmer? C'mon! Ya Pilot... see you there bright and early Saturday... there goes my big plans of getting trashed friday night....

Friday night... no problem..

I think this is more of what Susaninpink needs to drink. OOOOOO!

Rider Workshop-USA

hay, that grape pedialyte is GOOOD!

.. but it sure makes you PEE a lot

Quote Originally Posted by InlineSIX24
    Friday night... no problem..
    Last edited by TommyTheKid; Fri Oct 13th, 2006 at 10:20 AM.
    ~~TommyTheKid~~

Sounds like a great ride. Wish I could make but previous commitments won't allow.

Ride careful and have fun.
    The older I get the faster I was!

.... hey... got breakfast, lunch and dinner here boys......