Thread: Power Commander for the R1

Power Commander for the R1

Does anyone have any good maps for a Power Commander on a '02 R1 with an Akro can? I've checked out some other sites including the R1 message board and found nothing. Someone recommended that I get a Yosh EMS system, but I don't feel like ponying up the $$$ for the system and the subsequent dyno's to get it tuned.

Thanks!
    JOE
    02' R1

start with one of these http://borg20011.tripod.com/service_sectioni.htm then modify it as you see fit
    it has two wheels, a flux capacitor, and has the ability to tear a hole in the space/time continuum.

Best thing you can do is haunt the race tracks and hang outs, looking for people w/ ur same bike w/a modified exhaust and a powercommander. Doesn't matter what brand exhaust it is. And mooch a map from them IF it's working good for them, and have them email it to you. If no one here can help out of course.

usb or r ???

greetings joe,

>>>first thing, which power commander model do ya have ?

the choices are:

1. 405-411 the PCIII/IIIusb version
    2. 405-311 the PCIIIr version

note: the usb version of the map has another file extention....

>>>second thing, is it a full system exhaust or a slip-on ?

here is the URL for all of the company's 02 R1 maps....

http://www.powercommander.com/405-211.shtml

enjoy,
    henry (got one on the Busa with BMC/MUZZY)
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

And remember that it does not hurt to use different maps. You can download all those maps, and go out and ride it for 5 minutes and come back and do the next map, until you find the best one. I still think it is best if you get a custom map done, but be prepared to drop at least $300 for it.
    Let's Ride!!

the maps from the website SUCK up here. Remember, they were created in Las Vegas......

Quote Originally Posted by KooLaid
    the maps from the website SUCK up here. Remember, they were created in Las Vegas......
    you are *absolutely* correct about that !!! the first map i pulled down was unbelievably lean in the 2k to 6k band. but it was something to start with; tweaking is very easy... it is like playing with an Excel spreadsheet!
    later,
    henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.

I had an AWESOME scary fast map for my F4i back at 200ft elevation back at home. When I pulled my bike off the trailer and got on it for the first time here in Colorado springs, I wanted to kick it over and piss on it. It was HORRIBLE. It bogged everywhere I went. After a few months, and over 30 maps and who knows how many tweaks, I finally got one that worked ok, and I've adjusted myself to learning how to ride w/ the hp loss. It's just the scary fast sensation I used to get disappeared instantly.

if the weather, etc. co-operates i hope to be in the Galveston bay area (for a very short time...) late next week. i am wondering what it will be like; probably too rich on the low rpm range. i won't feel like draggin' the laptop so i'll probably end up tweaking via the buttons on the PC.
    --hoping for the best--
    henry

btw CrazyJ... have you pulled down and studied the characteristics of the maps with your combo yet ???
    "its boxy, its fast..."

use the palm pilot and carry your cable with you. Or just bring the cable and software cd with all the maps and software burned on it. That way you can plug the bike in, stick in the cd and reprogram the Power commander w/o installing any software. Oh yeah, keep a copy of ur current map at home.

greetings Koolaide,
    I was hoping to be able to do that with the Palm but they haven't made a version to protocol with the PCIIIusb unit yet.
    --oh well, travel light!
    henry

like the software world; back up often!
    "its boxy, its fast..."

oooh lucky you! You got the USB, I was considering upgrading to the USB but haven't found it worth it to drop the cash to get one to replace my PC3. The quickshift is nice but still is an added $200+ to add it.

Quote Originally Posted by towneh
    you are *absolutely* correct about that !!! the first map i pulled down was unbelievably lean in the 2k to 6k band. but it was something to start with; tweaking is very easy... it is like playing with an Excel spreadsheet!
    later,
    henry
    Strange... you'd think it would be running rich, since there's more air at lower elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    Quote Originally Posted by towneh
    later,
    henry
    Strange... you'd think it would be running rich, since there's more air at lower elevation.
    nope, not strange.... outa the box (ie. stock system w/o pc) it is too rich at lower elevatons. throw on a low backpressure exhaust sytem with a high-flow air filter and you'll need to lean-out a major portion of the rpm band.... therefore, the PC map has a field of negative entries to lean out the "too rich" system.... so, up at this altitude that map is *really* too lean. to correct the situation, you've got to make entries to enrich the mix; decrease the negative entries and/or increase the positive fields.

--an art form --
    henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

More air = more fuel that can be burned
    less aie = less fuel that can be burned

I spoke with one of the engineers from Power Commander and here is what he had to say...
    "the bike, by using its barometric pressure sensor, offsets the fuel curve for altitude. An O2 sensor is not required for this adjustment. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done about the power loss from the lack of air pressure."

so stock v stock, sea level vs. high altitude, the F.I, bike should compensate by reducing the amount of fuel being sprayed by the injectors. Carburated bikes, set up for running at sea level where there is more air and hence more fuel can be burned, WILL RUN RICH in the mountains. If you want proof, take a carbed bike, set to run at sea level and ride it up Mt. Evans. By the time you get to the top, the tip of your exhaust will be damp with unburnt fuel. Hence, to much fuel, not enough air results in a rich mixture. This isn't as bad as when a bike set to run at altitude is taken to sea level. This leans out the mixture, which causes the EGT's to increase. If this is gone unchecked, you can burn a hole in a piston or worse.
    it has two wheels, a flux capacitor, and has the ability to tear a hole in the space/time continuum.

you (and the engineer) are talking about the conditions themselves and i'm talking about the map settings that are compensating for those conditions you are talking about.

did you talk to the engineer regarding the effects of high-flow air filters and low backpressure exhaust systems (slip-ons or full systems) ? these modifications press the boundaries of barimetric compensator unit for the FI family and cause a real jump in jetting for the carb guys
    "its boxy, its fast..."

I agree, at the same altitude, if you change the filter and exhaust, you may need to add more fuel at certain rpms (other factors such as exhaust valves, and ram air not included). My point was with F.I. bikes, a map that works at sea level will work at higher elevations because of the MAP sensor. The same is not true of the carbed bike because it does not compensate for the change in atmospheric pressure.