Thread: $82 an hour for labor

Board Newbie

$82 an hour for labor

Is it just inflation or have i been out of the loop. I quit going to shops years ago (other than mike's in boulder cause he's a good dude) Unfortunatly i have a wr426 thats turned out to be a complete lemon and after having 3 guys work on it. i'm in the hole $800 bucks and every guy who looks at it finds something different wrong with it. So i call the local Yamaha dealership and they quoted me $82 an hour. I feel my asshole getting streched!!!

Re: $82 an hour for labor

Sign that used to hang in my buddies shop in colorado springs:

Labor rate - $50/hour
    If you watch - $60/hour
    If you help - $80/hour
    If you worked on it already - $100/hour
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Glenn,

I had one of those signs at a bicycle shop where I used to wrench.....even applied the rates a few times to repeat "offenders"

S

Yes, it's completely retarded... The FAA certified shop that works on my clubs planes don't even charge that much. The dealerships are just plain stupid when it come to their labor costs.

So, let me get this straight---
    You want to take your bike to a place were a professional, licensed, certified technician can repair your ride and ensure the work is done correctly and ensure its ready to take you out on your favorite ride.........BUT then question how much they charge?
    Being in the automotive industry for over 33 years and now with a dealership that past 2 years there are few things to keep in mind.

The labor charge is not just to cover the actual "labor" that is spent on your bike, car, etc.....No different from the telephone guy, electrician, etc....
    1) EQUIPMENT--in order to repair correctly and efficiently take the correct equipment. Updates, improvements, and additions are needed all the time. I can attest more from the automotive side that this amount would make you !!!! The amount that "we" and other establishments spend on equipment and updating current equipment is far more than you could possilby know. I won't tell you how much I just spend this past WEEK at Stan's Automotive on equipment and such....you wouldn't believe me anyway. This is not only to be able to repair your stuff correctly, but also to ensure our technicians have the right tools to do their job....the right way and SAFELY.

2) Training--do you think once you are a "technician" that you know everything? NOPE. Ongoing training is at least required at "our" establishments. If you want the best technicians you have to keep them at the top of the information highway. This means sending them to classes that are not CHEAP. Many times flying them somewhere to gain this needed knowledge to continue to know more about your stuff than you do.....thus, why you bring it to us rather than wrench it yourself in the garage. A certification is only as good as the piece of paper its written on. Any technician can say they are are a "master tech", but what he/she is capable of and the information they hold is what truly makes them what they are. I have seen numberous ASE master techs that only hold this title due to the paper they have in their file.

3) The trust/customer service/"feel good" factor-- Knowing you are taking your machine somewhere it will be taken care of...honestly and with integrity. I guess you could say "You get what you pay for".....i.e. Billy Bob's backyard garage or (enter your dealership of professional facility here). Are you taken care of before, during, and after the repairs? Are you able to ask questions and get answers you want and help you? If there is a problem is someone willing to help you and explain what might be going on or is going on? Do they stand by their work if something happens and ensure you again are taken care of?

I am sure I have not covered everything, but just trying to help some of you understand what goes into the "labor cost" you are referring to. If we or any establishment just charged what we pay a technician per hour....we would be out of business! Yes, just like any other place we are in business to make money, grow, be successful, and help people solve problems along the way.
    I guess if you are questioning labor charges try asking the facility some questions......are they certified, what equipment are they using, what is their warranty coverage, etc...........
    Just keep in mind....not "all" of us out their charge HIGH rates to "screw" the consumer over. Being in these businesses and a consumer myself I see both sides of the fence daily. Yea, I too complain sometimes when I call the Comcast Man to the house and see what they charge just for coming through my door, but then the "business" side of me starts thinking of other things and I can understand a little better. Sure does it still sometimes suck what I have to pay...YES, but I also know if there is a problem they will be right back out to help me....and if not I ENSURE they hear about it.

Sorry so long winded....if I helped great, if not oh well.

That's still doesn't explain why when I get my bike back from a stealership, half the shit I've paid them for is done wrong. Am I qualified or licensed? Hell no, but I can read the service manual. It's pathetic that when I get a bike bike, washers are on the wrong side, nuts are missing, and my turn signals are wired up wrong. That's what I pay $80/hour for? I'm so glad that they have all the equipment/training they do so that it makes screwing up my bike that much easier.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Gonna jump in here for a couple of reasons:

1. As a customer of Stans I have to say that everything Curtis said above is true of their shop. I do a lot of the preventive for my machines myself, but when the job gets too big or too time consuming for me I'll take it there anytime. Their technicians are top notch, the customer service is nothing short of awesome and the work is done right the first time.

That being said, it is the only shop in the denver area that I'm aware of that has it right. It certainly is the exception rather than the rule.

2. I've not had any work done at Twin Peaks, so I cannot speak to the quality of their service department. I have had work done at some of the other shops in the area and can report that I've been disappointed more than pleased. Most experiences resulted in multiple trips because of scheduling errors, mistakes or poor workmanship. Sometimes these experiences came on the heels of larger than expected bills when I picked the bike up, leading to even greater dissapointment.

Curtis, I agree with you that you SHOULD get what you pay for, but in order for me to feel good about paying someone $80 an hour to work on my bike (regardless of what their overhead is) they need to do quality work the first time. This is to say that rookie mistakes like using incorrect fasteners to re-attach my fairings shouldn't happen. Things like after a tune-up the spark plugs should actually be tighened to the proper torque ( a couple of my dealership service experiences) My Stans experience had been outstanding in terms of quality and workmanship and your philosophy would be well applied in most of the local powersports dealers service departments.

Scott

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

+1 for Stans.

Their money is well-earned w/out exception, so far as I can tell.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by warrenjrose
    That's still doesn't explain why when I get my bike back from a stealership, half the shit I've paid them for is done wrong. Am I qualified or licensed? Hell no, but I can read the service manual. It's pathetic that when I get a bike bike, washers are on the wrong side, nuts are missing, and my turn signals are wired up wrong. That's what I pay $80/hour for? I'm so glad that they have all the equipment/training they do so that it makes screwing up my bike that much easier.
    Then you as a consumer and customer need to take that up with the facility....I would recommend the GM or service manager. At the larger dealership trying to talk to the "owner" will NEVER happen. At Twin Peaks you will see the owner mopping floors, washing bikes, etc.....my brother is the GM at Twin Peaks, I myself the GM at Stan's, and my father is the "owner" of both facilities. Yes we are a true family business and there is a difference. If the current place you are referring to is doing this stuff on a CONSTISTANT basis....then why return? I would still recommend giving them the feedback so hopefully they will learn and do a better job for the industry.

Rybo and Barn......thanks for the kind words! I always like looking up front and seeing some motorcycle friends coming in for repairs on their vehicles. Barn where you been?? Haven't seen you in forever!!
    Scott--as for the philosphy at Stan's....you are exactly right. Our goal is to create and grow that same philosphy and culture in the powersports industry....which is currently...oh....about 10 years behind the automotive side of things. It won't happen overnight, but we are working long and hard to do it!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wahooman
    Barn where you been?? Haven't seen you in forever!!
    I'm around here and there. Been laying low for a bit.
    However!.. As soon as I get my new car sometime next year, I'll make sure and come do my routine oil changes with ya'll.

(10,000 miles or 10 months, whichever comes first!)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

So what is wrong with your WR? I have a YZ 426F and am looking for a WR
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Clever Custom User Title Lifetime Supporter Jaydoc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warrenjrose
    Yes, it's completely retarded... The FAA certified shop that works on my clubs planes don't even charge that much. The dealerships are just plain stupid when it come to their labor costs.
    This is kind of like buying a mountain bike that costs as much as a 600cc repliracer and then believe it's because the mountain bike is so technologically advanced. Really? A mountain bike with as much tech. as a motorcycle?
    Just because people can charge a certain price and people will pay it doesn't mean it's actually worth it. People out there can be convinced to pay money for anything. Is it the shops' fault that people are suckers?
    Last edited by Jaydoc; Thu Oct 26th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9
    Not a slam, but I am curious if you've been on the board for 3 years, even if you've just been reading the board, why does this thread surprise you? I mean it's pretty much par for the course on here.