Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd annual CSC Vegas trip!!!

Hey Harry-
    Since the LV trip will be my first long journey, I'm planning as many "trainning" rides as I can. Did abour 175mi this weekend. Got any cool routes 'round the state you might suggest that might be good for a newcomer?
    Thanks-
    FF
    PS any one wanting to come on any warm up rides let me know.

Well FF, if you're up for 1000 miles we're heading to Kansas and back on Sunday to "train"...

Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    Lastly, I'd recommend being able to drink water while riding with some type of bladder, ibuprophen or similar and possibly bicycle type shorts w/ the pad for yer arse. Music is also VERY NICE to have along.
    Actually, I forgot to mention my backpack is a camelback one, so it has a ~2 liter pouch. I have a tiny Mp3 player which I haven't really had a use for, so that should be nice. I tried earplugs on my last long trip and didn't like them.

Ass padding. Good call.. I still have the stock F4i seat (ouch!). I don't know that I want to buy a Corbin before then.

I'll have to check in to getting a throttle lock. I have a gift certificate I won at the CO Powersports track day, so maybe they carry them. Otherwise I'd assume its something I could pick-up at Performance?

If I could pick-up some adjustable pegs before then that would be a big help too I'm sure... last time the big problems I had were with my wrists and knees getting tired/sore.

Sounds like I should be able to stay warm with my 'warm weather' gear + rain gear (it helps to break those cold evening winds).

- Brandon
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    2003 VW GTI 1.8T
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    http://devnulled.com
    http://spooled.net

Hey FF- borrow the boy's SV and come with us to Topeka! It'll rule and you'll get your SS1000 cert before he does!
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Hey FF,
    glad to hear your thinking of training. Ain't nothin better than time in the saddle.

I'd highly recommend you not play with those silly boys in their chase for the entrance into the Iron Butt Assoc. just yet!

Here's my suggestion/s.........
    Now I'm not sure how many miles you can currently comfortably sit in the saddle, so your "training runs" should be designed to:
    1)develop the muscles you'll use while riding long days.

2)test out your comfort level on your particular bike. Make your GS fit you, by identifying your 3 points of contact,(seat, bars, pegs) and change prn.

3)test out your riding gear,(electric gear just fricking works!)

4)time yourself from start to finish of your ride. Pay particular attention to your gas station stops. You should do this even if you have no desire to become an endurance bike rider-IBA. This will help lesson anxiety.
    Example- I know that my normal solo pace,(which is fastest) has me riding 800 miles in 12 hours. That's 100 miles in 90 minutes. you do not have to be that fast, but you should know how long it takes you to ride say 250 miles. 15 minute fuel stops max should be good when you are timing yourself,(@ other times stay until the cows come home)

I think a nice ride is doing a rectangle from Denver to Limon and then take 86 homeward into Kiowa/ Franktown area then Parker road home. Now this is not the most scenic ride, but hwy 86 is pretty nice and it's not congested. It'll be approx a 200 mile ride and that's a nice starting point for learning and training your range. Stay hydrated. Some long distance riders take ibuprophen prophylactically

I'm up for a ride almost anytime, so just put up a post with details.
    Have fun.

Harry Biker

Thanks Harry-
    Don't worry, I know I'm not up for a ride with the big kids just yet. This weekend helped though. My T-rex-on-a-bike experience and 75mi on sat with a 100+mi ride past Selida and down 105 to monument was a sweeeet ride Feeling much better in the twisties.
    If you guys plan a ride closer to home and don't mind a newbe along let me know, I've got most weekends off and some weekdays!
    Thanks for the advise and encouragement
    FF
    ps I think I may out grow my gs sooner than expected.

Interesting point

Harry,

I am glad you mentioned the "Triangle", however I have been starting from Parker to Franktown. Take 86 out to Limon and then cut West on 24 back to the Springs. From there 25N to home, this run is 236 miles. 86 is awesome out there, you are usually all alone, however two weekends ago "Black Ice" was a major issue for about 15 miles before you hit 70. But that is obviously weather determined and not all of the time.
    If anyone wants to start running this with me, please let me know.

Chris

i'd be interested

I don't think I'll make the Vegas jaunt, but I'd definitely be interested in tagging along on some "training" rides. I'm planning about a 1000 mile trip (in one day but not timed) late spring or summer to Texas, and I've never done more than a 400-mile day on my bike.

triangles.rectangles...I was never very good @ geometry
    You're right though, your triangle you mentioned is a nice ride.

FF,
    Perhaps the time to increase your displacement is now! We both know which model you want. The current deal @ BMW has never been better-ever! Assuming you'd finance, 1.9% interest for up to 60 months and, 90 days no payments and BMW then pays your 1st 5 payments!!!!!! this deal lasts until the end of Feb. You would not even make your 1st pyment until Dec.,(assuming you waited til the end of Feb.) and you'd have plenty of time to sell your Zookie.

Harry- Maybe now would be a good time to upgrade, how the hell can anyone pass up the killer deal the BMW is offering? I'll check it out, not sure my credit will handle it, but it's worth a shot -thanks

Chris, Jessica ect... I'm totally up for the "triangle" ride. This weekend is no good for me but what does the sat the 1st or sunday the 2ed look like for ya'll? Weather providing.
    Let me know
    FF

WOULD BE GREAT!

FF, this weekend is shot for me too. However that weekend would be great either Sat or Sun, matter of fact I am off next Friday as well. So lets plan for it, and we can ride as fast as we want with lunch in the Springs.

Chris

Chris-
    Cool.. lets plan for this weekend, what is good for you, sat or sun? Friday is no good for me. Also, where do ya wanna meet?
    Anyone else, Jessica, disco, Harry. Disco, I'm sure I can get Chaos to go. Let me know
    FF

FF,

Sunday would be great, Sat just got filled up. You live downtown? We can meet at Arapahoe Xing at Borders for some coffee then head South through Parker and on. Say 10ish?

Chris

WHOOPS....

FF,

My bag, this Sat or Sun is fine with me as well. I was on the wrong weekend. I would prefer this Sat....... you?

Chris

TIME OUT...

Ok, I just saw the calender of events....I did not realize that two groups were heading out to Vegas. How many people are in each group so far? If this is the case I will be in the Friday afternoon group sleeping in a 7/11 at GJ.

Chris

FF,
    I would love to join in this weekend, but my bike is out of commission for a while since someone ran into it while it was parked. I'm not sure how long it will be before it's ridable. I will keep an eye on the boards and join in once it's fixed.
    Have fun!

Chris- Sunday would work best... If thats cool. Arapaho crossing works for me. I may post this in the daily ride section to see if I can drum up intrest, if that cool. So are you planning the 50cc with the rest of the crazies or are staying in vegas? Have you got a room yet..

Jessica- That really SUCKS.. If you need help I've know two people that have put soooo many bikes back together, let me know. :P

FF

FF

Sunday works for me as well, I keep my bike at my dealership (nice and warm from the cold during the winter). So, lets plan on Sunday, around 1100 or 1130, give it some time to warm up. Arapahoe Crossing, Boarders bookstore. Any questions please call me at 720-220-4079..it is my cell. Again the trip is 235 miles give or take and it is hassle free. Lunch in the Springs, a good ride home.
    I already have a room reserved at the Amerisuites for Sat and Sun in Vegas. As I have said, if a group is leaving Friday afternoon I would probably hook up with them and spend the night in GJ. Are you going?

Chris

Chris-
    Sunday it is, see you at 1100am at arapahoe crossing. If the weather turns on us I'll get in touch.

Anyone else up for a training ride?

I'm planning on the Vegas trip. I may ride with y'all Sunday just to see how uncomfortable my bike is on a long trip. My bike may not be Vegas trip material

Of course it can be Kip......would be awesome to have you along. This ride on Sunday is a "Training Ride" for the highways and keeps the "Churchass" from appearing....

Chris

Hey Kip-
    What do ya ride, 'cuz I got a little bike that tracks with every bump in the road. But I'm getting better with it because I have been going on progressively longer rides in preperation for the LV trip. Are you planning on going?
    FF

FF

Kip has one of those beautiful, sweet, and sexy long distance tourers....otherwise known as a GXR-1000. She is a little intimidating as well, but an awesome ride. Well Kip, would you be able to leave Friday for LV?

Chris

I did it last year on my R1 - the Gixxer can't be that much worse!

HINT: Change your riding position frequently - I alternated between:
    - sitting almost upright (with just enough weight on the right hand to maintain speed)
    - normal riding position
    - laying down on the tank bag with feet hooked over rear pegs (no pressure on the wrists at all this way!)