Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3rd annual CSC Vegas trip!!!

FF, like Chris said....I have the baddest bike on the planet , no wait a minute.....I'm saying that. Chris is correct, GSXR1000. Do they make a touring edition Yes, I'm planning on going to Vegas....I want to see how many people I know, who are going, so I can alternate bikes if I need to.
    Spidey, thanks for the suggestion. I'm also thinking about putting a cruise control on it just for the Vegas trip.
    Chris, I can probably leave any day. Oh! by the way, I met someone with a bike exactly like yours last weekend.

Hasta.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

HELI BARS

Here is a link for bar mods:

http://www.helibars.com/suzuki.html

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Well, if you're going to go down the path of handlebar mods.. maybe you could attach these to your GSX-R1000:

Sorry, I couldn't resist

WOW Spidey, it would kinda give it a <Retro> look...........

Chris

Ok, back to this Vegas thang.... For the riders leaving on Friday afternoon we need some carpet to shag on in Grand Junction, 250 miles away. <I promise you can make it Kip>
    Anyone with suggestions or ideas besides the Conoco bathroom I am all ears. that night I would be more than happy to share a room with as many as we can pack in there, however, if need be I get dibbs on the bathtub! :P
    But we need to make some reservations ASAP.

Chris

thanks nick....I'm probably going to make that modification too(helibars).
    I just wonder how it effects the handling, etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kip
    thanks nick....I'm probably going to make that modification too(helibars).
    I just wonder how it effects the handling, etc. ?
    It doesn't affect handling, as it makes no geometry changes to the bike. It'll just make you sit up more.

I put genmar risers on mine, and like it a lot better for my usual commute stuff, and I'm sure distance riding will be a lot better. I put in about 100 miles this weekend and definitely noticed a difference (also the sargent seat was a BIG, GOOD change!).

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    It doesn't change the geometry of your suspension, but it does put less weight on the front tire which would change handling characteristics, right?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopty
    It doesn't change the geometry of your suspension, but it does put less weight on the front tire which would change handling characteristics, right?
    Define handling. Less weight on the bars will mean you transfer less road influence to the rest of the bike and braking won't dive as much, but turn speed is mainly influenced by the rake and trail of the front end, and length of wheelbase. However in a "correct" riding position, your arms would not be supporting your body weight anyway so mainly the risers are for upper body comfort. You won't really see an impact on the bike itself. The only place I can think where you might notice a difference is the track, just because your body position won't be quite as aggressive with your hands up higher.

To all the friday crew:
    What time are you planning on leaving???

FF, between 12 - 2 in the afternoon, pull into GJ for the night. Not really pushing that much. The next day will be the longest part.

Chris

Pretty good bullshit on the handle bars Spidey, gotta give you that one

Yeah, I was referring to track handling. It's gotta feel different

Hey peeps

Looks like the INS may put my bella Italia/Ducati plans on hold until '04

So while Las Vegas on an SV doesn't quite have the same ring as Paso di Campolongo on an ST4s here's my tentative "If I'm in the country, I'm in" for the trip. I'll call Amerisuites later today to book a crash pad.
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R

I look forward to having you with us!!

Chris

Very Cool Hanna. Now will you be surfing with the day crew or the night crew? I'll assume,(I know I shouldn't) that you'll be rolling with the Friday afternoon crew.

For anyone thinking about leaving with the night crew let me assure you we have several bikes that'll turn the night into day thanks to our good friends @ PIAA and similar. The night crew as a reminder will be rolling all the way into Vegas and should arrive no later than 4pm.

Is there anyone going to Vegas that is planning on leaving @ 1am @ Morrison,(not counting the 50CC crew-I know where you'll be)?

Also, who all's staying @ Amerisuites?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    Very Cool Hanna. Now will you be surfing with the day crew or the night crew? I'll assume,(I know I shouldn't) that you'll be rolling with the Friday afternoon crew.
    <snip>
    Also, who all's staying @ Amerisuites?
    I will be rolling with the Friday crew, as assumed. However, based on last year's experience, I'd like to throw this in for discussion by that crew :

Instead of leaving Fri luncthime, riding to GJ & staying there for the night, then having a huge day (700 miles? ) Sat to get to Vegas, consider:

Leave around 0800 Fri morning, lunch in GJ, then on to Blanding for the night. 500 miles, arrive NLT 5pm.
    Leave 0800 Sat morning, go through Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument to Torrey, over Escalante, through Zion and on to Vegas. 500 miles, arrive NLT 5pm.

Sound good? We did this route last year and it worked very well. It also gives margin should anything (fingers crossed) go wrong, and allows newer riders to get used to long-distance (ahem, I know it's not a SS1K or 50cc) riding gradually. Oh and it makes the whole thing a little less of an ordeal for those long-distance touring machines, the Gixxers

Just a suggestion... I'm not attached to the above, but thought you may want to mull it over..
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-

Hmm, mulling...... It has merit! I can be game, Mid after noon would be preferable arriving in Vegas if we can. But it sounds like fun...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coston
    Hmm, mulling...... It has merit! I can be game, Mid after noon would be preferable arriving in Vegas if we can. But it sounds like fun... Chris
    The 5pm is a no later than estimate...I'd guess we'd arrive in Vegas around 3pm.

-

If I go, I wasn't planning on stopping in Grand Junction for the night. I didn't check how many miles to Torrey, but that was the original thought.

Morrison to Torrey is about 450 miles, leaving another 350 (appx) miles to Vegas.

I don't know which group I will be riding with. I would prefer to leave Friday, but it will depend on what time that groups leaves. It will be hard for me to get off much before 2pm. I would prefer to make more miles on Friday also - stopping in Torrey as opposed to Grand Junction.

As we get closer, and departure times (and gas stops) get finalized, I may head out by myself later on Friday and hook up with the 1am crew along the way after I get a good nights sleep.

Do we have a tally so far as to who and how many for the Friday departure?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    If I go, I wasn't planning on stopping in Grand Junction for the night. I didn't check how many miles to Torrey, but that was the original thought.

Morrison to Torrey is about 450 miles, leaving another 350 (appx) miles to Vegas.
    Yup, my distances were approximate, but you get my drift

And I've just remembered that Blanding is dry so Torrey sounds like a better option for the first night!

-

I'm with Hanna on this one, that sounds like a killer ride. I have wanted to see the Esclante, and by bike would be way too cool. I bet I can get it off and leave friday am. So for the time being, count me in with the friday am crew.
    FF :P

Board Newbie

MOAB

I will most likley be joining all of you. I am new to the group so I hope to do a few rides before this one. I won't be going all the way to vegas, I am only 20 so I can't gamble. I will be stopping in Moab for a night and then turning around and coming back if anyone is interested in splitting a hotel room with me please let me know.
    Mike