Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speed limit for bikes

speed limit for bikes

I think the speed limit for cars shouldn't apply to bikes. Just as the speed limit on the freeway is 65mph in areas for trucks and 75 for cars on the same stretch. I believe the same aspects of cars vs. trucks should be applied to bikes abilities. Not to say that there shouldn't be a speed limit for bikes whatsoever, but that it should be within the compounds of the operation limits for bikes. E.g. trucks stop slower hence lower speed...bikes stop fast ergo...

any suggestions?
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Re: speed limit for bikes

interesting thought. hell, i would like it if we could just get "lane splitting" passed. o'course, most people don't ride bikes so they'd vote against it. as the energy crunch and global warming hit--things will change in our favour.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

The stopping power of a bike is greater for sure, but the ability of the rider to use that stopping power (ie "pucker factor") is much lower.

If you start digging through the data you'll find that the average person can stop a modern car (especially one with antilock brakes) much faster than they can stop a bike.

Now, can Kevin Schwantz stop a bike faster? Probably, but last I checked no one I was riding with was that good, and it's certainly not the "average" rider who the speed limit has to be tailored to.

S

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Bad idea for several reasons, lets say this is yoru scenario Bassil

65 MPH for trucks
    75 MPH for cars
    85 MPH for bikes

Youi already have a 20+ MPH difference between vehicles, greater if people are speeding or not going the speed limit so its probably more like 30+

Also how could law enforcement, enforce the speed limit with so many differences in speed?

There's a thing called a "track" they do "track days" go figure
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Thus far, some interesting points have been raised. I fully agree with the lane splitting thing! That is something that should be voted on or something with elections and the likes coming up.

With regards to the stopping capabilities of bikes and the weakest link is the rider true. However, perhaps a mandatory riding class to obtain a license would alleviate any problem(s) the rider(s) may encounter? There is already a stoppie tests for bikes and the cones.

As for cops being able to monitor said speeds...they got every do dat and gizmo available to them to do their job. I'm sure they can make the distinction between car, truck, and microscopic bike.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

So what your saying is, if I go to a Barber Racing School for road racing a car, I should be granted the right to speed because I have the skill? I could put an orange strip on my vehicle to designate that I'm special and therefore qualified to operate my vehicle?

Second, Harley's can't go over 75 so now what?
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Not quite, the difference between a car and your race car isn't anywhere near as substancual as a car to a truck or a truck to a bike or a bike to a car.

AKA "Devaclis"

I do not think that a variable speed limit based on vehicle is a good idea. I DO think that exclusionary roadways for bikes is a good idea. Car pool lanes that are separate from the rest of traffic where speeds can be increased safely is a great way to start.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

speed doesnt cause accidents. difference in speed causes accidents. having more difference is just stupid.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Lane splitting is a good idea and a great plus point to getting a bike. However, if the traffic is moving at 10mph and you are lane splitting at 45 - 50mph then you'll be asking for trouble.

Lane splitting at a max of 10mph faster than the traffic is good and achievable although it is very tiring. You have to look where you are going, look in other peoples mirrors to see where they are looking, look at front wheel angles to see if someone is about to burst into your lane, and check for signals. You can make progress; you just have to be very, very defensive.

It is common practice in Europe where I have spent most of my riding life. In the US, it is frustrating not to be able to lane split but because it is not legal, along with being less anticipated by drivers it is an even more dangerous concept.

IMO!
    I'm the English guy - you can call me Basil (Baazul not Bayzil - that's a herb)

I don't think I would split even if it was legalized. At least not for a long time while cagers get used to the idea. I already have too many people trying to run me over with a whole lane to myself.

Shit I don't even commute on my bike since driving my 20yr old VW is cheaper and safer. I save those precious 6000mi between valve adj for the canyons and fun stuff.
    My name is Karl, ich bin expert

Quote Originally Posted by Dub
    I don't think I would split even if it was legalized. At least not for a long time while cagers get used to the idea. I already have too many people trying to run me over with a whole lane to myself.
    Right, and that is a key point - that car drivers aren't tuned into checking, especially the blind spot. In England there is an element of this but alot of drivers will move out of the way to let you through. In France cars move out of your way automatically - sometimes to the point where they put themselves in danger. Now in Italy - you take your chances!!!

When I lived in England my 1 hour commute turned into 2 hours on a Friday because of traffic, one of the reasons I got a bike. It cut my commute right down until I found all the twisties to take on the way home which doubled my commute in a good way

The first time I drove in California and had a pack of harleys split by me on the freeway (I was in traffic doing 10-15, they were easily doing 50-60mph) it scared the shit out of me.

They definitely got where they were gong a lot quicker than the cars sitting gridlocked.

Splitting would ease conjestion, but in our climate it would only have a great impact during the warmer months when more people ride. I don't see a problem with passing laws allowing it though, it really can't hurt anything IMO.

I do not think that a variable speed limit based on vehicle is a good idea. I DO think that exclusionary roadways for bikes is a good idea.
    I agree. I want to go faster and I can but increasing closing speeds between vehicles of different types is a recipe for dead bikers.

Why can't some forward thinking mountain towns or county embrace the motorcycle culture and convert existing loops of road to one-way motorcycle only toll roads without speed enforcement. Throw up some restraunts and hotels and create jobs. We are an economic god-send for a lot of the mom-and-pop shops along our favorite routes.

Badhabit

Current bikes: 2005 KTM 625 SMC, 1998 Honda Superhawk

Past bikes: 2004 Yamaha R1, 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone,
    1999 Yamaha R6, 1996 Kawasaki EX500

it's time to bring back 'chips'. i'm in need of a good mc show. no drama-just lots of fast bike chases-and lane splitting.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by Dub

Shit I don't even commute on my bike since driving my 20yr old VW is cheaper and safer. I save those precious 6000mi between valve adj for the canyons and fun stuff.
    Wuss!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eklew
    Wuss!!!!!
    Slowski!!!!!

What about instead of a bicycle lane... they have a bike lane? Just add an extra stripe! Problem solved!
    Hey! I'm unique... just like everybody else

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Black
    speed doesnt cause accidents. difference in speed causes accidents. having more difference is just stupid.
    They seem to be doing just fine on the autoban. Actually we (Americans) with our speed limits have more accidents per person than Germans do on the autoban and their unlimited speed in many areas. Then again that just goes to show how much people pay attention to driving here and all the more reason why it should stay what it is.

Splitting lanes is something I think would be the first step to making any step that is, matter of fact how would someone go about changing the law so that lane splitting would be legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    They seem to be doing just fine on the autoban. Actually we (Americans) with our speed limits have more accidents per person than Germans do on the autoban and their unlimited speed in many areas. Then again that just goes to show how much people pay attention to driving here and all the more reason why it should stay what it is.
    dont want to step on your toes here, but somethings to look at, germany pop-around 90 mil, us is over 300 mil, so basically 3 times as many, also does anyone know how old you have to be to get a drivers license in germany, i know a lot of countries in asia you have to be 18 to get a license, if its the same in germany, then there are more mature drivers on the road, just things to look at.

imo, i think the speed limits are to low to begin with and would raise them another 10mph, in appropriate areas of course, but then thats just means i would be doing 100 down i-25 instead of my norm which is 90, maybe put a speed limit on age groups, i know it would be hard to "police" but maybe it would get some of the scared people off the road.
    THE HIGHER...... THE FEWER

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams,
    I have spread my dreams under your feet,
    tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    -Yeats

"HOW IS IT POSSIBLE...... I STILL HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN ???"

Well congratulations to those of you that are blessed with enough empty freeway space to even contemplate high speeds. Everytime I'm on the gd highway it is packed to the brim and only a handful of those drivers are actually devoting their full attention to the road. I'm lucky if we even get close to the damn speed limit let alone beyond. And no f*cking way I'd lane split with those idiots. Riders are forced into paying complete attention to the road due to the nature of riding - not so for other drivers.
    ...you're one of them, aren't you? No, I'm something else...

It's a trick. Get an axe.
    ~~~ ~~~

"I say let the sky continue to fall on those that expect nothing else, and let the sky continue to be limitless, for those of us who will settle for nothing less." Barn in a sublime moment (well-done!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    They seem to be doing just fine on the autoban. Actually we (Americans) with our speed limits have more accidents per person than Germans do on the autoban and their unlimited speed in many areas.
    A contribution to that may also be a better standard of driving perhaps helped by more stringent testing. That and some sensible laws - ie it is illegal to use your cell phone whilst driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Black
    its not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end.

Rider Workshop-USA