Thread: Track Bike and Contingency Money

Track Bike and Contingency Money

After reviewing the rules for the MRA as well as MoM, it looks like it only makes sense to have a track only bike. Putting your brand preferences aside, what bike has the most contingency money available for a novice racer? I've heard that Honda doesn't provide much, but Suzuki does. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to make this as affordable as possible.
    Last edited by Archangel; Fri Nov 10th, 2006 at 12:46 PM.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Track Bike and Contingency Money

Suzuki and Kawasaki probably have the largest contingency programs, but I don't know of any manufacturers that are paying out in the Novice or Am. classes, so the most money you can make on a motorcycle contingency as a novice is $0. Also to be eligible for contingency you usually have to be riding a pretty new motorcycle, usually a current model.

The most affordable way to go racing that I can see right now is to find a 1999 or 2000 R6. There are a couple around right now already race prepped for $2500-3000 and go racing. The first year is going to be really expensive, you're going to have to buy things that you didn't initally consider, and while many of the purchases are small they really do add up. If you are thinking of racing a full season you can count on $1500-$2500 in entry fees, about that again in tires and probably about that again in gas and such getting to the races.

There is contingency money available for tires, oil, stands, gas and the such. They will help to defer the cost of racing, but it's still uber expensive.

If you want to know more about my novice year (2006) feel free to PM me. I'm more than happy to share what I've learned.

S

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

There is no "affordable" way to race, especially starting out. Prepare for lots of little things (as RYBO said) and disappointment.

In the eloquent words of Eugene Bazyl "There is something you can do to prepare yourself for racing. Get a nice 100 deg. day, Build a roaring fire in the fireplace, Put on your full race leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, Sit in front of the fireplace and throw money at it. This will give you a good feel for a day at the races."
    Last edited by Mel; Fri Nov 10th, 2006 at 08:53 PM.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Here is one way to get started...

The holiday season is approaching and Colorado Mills is known for displaying all makes and models.
    Last edited by Spothis; Fri Nov 10th, 2006 at 04:35 PM.
    BJ
    AKA THE THERAPIST
    04' YZF R1

Quote Originally Posted by Spothis
    Here is one way to get started...
    hmmm.....if you only knew just how hard it is to ride a pocketbike FAST you wouldn't think it was gay......
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    hmmm.....if you only knew just how hard it is to ride a pocketbike FAST you wouldn't think it was gay......
    He's not kidding.

Or how much it hurts when you fuck up.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I was just thinking the same thing....
    Damn that looks fun as hell too.

EX-MRA #719

- 502 - RIP Gene, you will always be an inspiration.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstien

I'm a newbie to the forum scene and didn't realize the gay smilie ended up where it did. And yes I do know how hard it is to go fast and it is fun as hell. Thanks GECCO
    BJ
    AKA THE THERAPIST
    04' YZF R1

Rule #1 about contingency....Don't plan on winning anything unless your name is Turpin,Turner, etc. If you budget your racing on contingency you will run half the races. The money is not handed to you at the end of the day and some won't show till after the season. Plan on floating the whole bill and if you win $$$$ use it for the next season. Because every season will cost you more and more. It's not called an addiction for nothing.

Oh and what some of you refer to as pocketbikes I call GSXR 1000's

Lurch
    MRA #retired