Thread: R1 Project almost done

R1 Project almost done

Some of you may or may not know, but I lost the chain on my prized 2000 R1 about 3 weeks ago and it punched a hole in the cases. I've always hated the carbs on it and wanted to convert it to FI so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to do it, only it would mean swapping the entire motor. It wasn't terribly difficult and went pretty smoothly, though I had a couple delays waiting for parts to arrive, etc. Here's a breakdown of what I did:

replaced the ruined motor with a fuel injected 2002 motor and wiring harness/airbox and other components
    new chain
    full muzzy system
    PCIIIr
    Graves slide stops
    finished polishing the wheels
    new windscreen
    new dunlops
    new wheel and swingarm bearings

I had to replace a few other components like the ignition switch and I had to hard wire a few other things where the connectors didn't match up but with the help of the wiring diagrams for both bikes I was able to get things hooked up properly.

I am missing one piece, a rear wheel spacer, so I haven't ridden it yet (and that's why the rear caliper is hanging of the footpeg in the pics). The bike is now down at TK Motorsports in Denver, once the spacer comes in Bart is gonna put in the slide stops and PCIIIr and then set it up on the dyno. Should have it back Wednesday or Thursday.

Here's some pics....

Before:

Old Motor (notice the large hole providing a nice view of the #1 connecting rod)

During:

After:

The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    HOLY HELL! that sucks!!!

WOW! lets us know how it is..
    Newton

swisher!

how much did it cost for polishing your wheels and frame...most impotantly did you do it yourself?

GOOD THING YOUR CHAIN BROKE HUH......
    "Without nipples, breasts would be pointless."

Quote Originally Posted by WillLiveForSpeed
    how much did it cost for polishing your wheels and frame...most impotantly did you do it yourself?
    cost me a lot of elbow grease and one set of fingerprints. I did the entire frame myself a couple years ago along with the edges of the wheels (you can see the black centers in the pics of the frame on the floor). This time around I had Denver Bumper do the sanding of the centers and the spokes on the wheels to get rid of the textured aluminum, I don't have the tools for it, then I did all the final wet sanding and the polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by WillLiveForSpeed
    GOOD THING YOUR CHAIN BROKE HUH......
    yup, best thing that ever happened to that bike! gave me the perfect excuse to get rid of those POS carbs...
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I WANNA DO MY UPPER TRIPLE CLAMP polish that is...

it has a clear laqur on it i think...it has turned a ugly oxodized color what tools would you recomend for a small part like that ?

MRA racer?

Dude bike looks sweet but I gotta say down to the Muzzy an Akra would make that bike tits
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, a best friend will be in the cell with you saying "that was fun".

If you have access to a wire wheel on a bench grinder that would be the best way to get it down to bare aluminum. If not, try some aircraft paint stripper....if all else fails just start wet sanding with 200 grit and it will come right off. From there go to 400 wet, then 600 wet, then 1000 wet. From there polish with white "No. 7" polishing compund (in the little green tubs at any autoparts store). Here you will see any flaws left over (swirls left over from the rougher grits) and you can go back after them with the 600 then the 1000. Keep repeating the 1000 grit then polishing until the flaws are gone, then hit it with some Mothers or Eagle1 aluminum polish and you're golden.

or you could just send it to me
    The GECCO

Quote Originally Posted by MRARacer157
    If you have access to a wire wheel on a bench grinder that would be the best way to get it down to bare aluminum. If not, try some aircraft paint stripper....if all else fails just start wet sanding with 200 grit and it will come right off. From there go to 400 wet, then 600 wet, then 1000 wet. From there polish with white "No. 7" polishing compund (in the little green tubs and any autoparts store). Here you will see any flaws left over (swirls left over from the rougher grits) and you can go back after them with the 600 then the 1000. Keep repeating the 1000 grit then polishing until the flaws are gone, then hit it with some Mothers or Eagle1 aluminum polish and you're golden.

or you could just send it to me
    how much would you charge me for it ? small part

what bike is it on? is the top flat and smooth or does it have any kind of a pattern in it?
    The GECCO

it has a light cotnuor to it ..

its for a triupmph daytona 98

nothin crazy

what are you doing on Sunday? I am hosting a "tech day" for the CFRSR group here in fort collins. you could ride up and I'll help/show you how to do it and you can use all my stuff. no charge.

lemme know if you can make it and I'll post directions
    The GECCO

sweet ill get back to you on that if i can make it..

Looks sweet Glenn, quite a project! I'm sure you can't wait to ride it and see how it feels.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Good work Glenn.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    Looks sweet Glenn, quite a project! I'm sure you can't wait to ride it and see how it feels.
    you know it! I was pretty peeved saturday night when I realized the mooks at denver bumper hadn't returned that missing spacer a $3 item kept me from riding all day sunday like I had planned.

should be nice, though, Bart is confident he'll be able to get at least 140HP out of it.
    The GECCO

Re: R1 Project almost done

Quote Originally Posted by MRARacer157
    Old Motor (notice the large hole providing a nice view of the #1 connecting rod)
    TC??

(his GSXR motor looks suspiciously similar to that, I'll toss up a pic later - though his con rod bent in half and put it's own hole in the case.)

shwing...thats a good come back
    Knee2Ground Racing