Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Go4it Racing School

Go4it Racing School

I wasn't quite sure which category this thread should be in, but seeing as it kinda has to do with racing, I figured I would drop it here.

Anyone have any experiences with Go4It Racing School? Good, Bad, Other?

I want to learn to ride better, faster - are there other schools I should check out?

(no cracks about the Trumpet, I know some of you would consider me mechanically challenged )

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
    2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)
    1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

save $5 on your SmugMug subscription - use coupon code RzTdQ4pMyqEuU - www.smugmug.com

Good question… I have wanted to take some classes also… interested to see what others have to say.

I think another school I was looking into was Ricky Orlando’s motorcycle school http://www.rickyorlando.com/

I wonder if there were enough CSC'ers interested, if we could get one of the schools to give us a CSC group discount?

Its always worth asking, right?

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

save $5 on your SmugMug subscription - use coupon code RzTdQ4pMyqEuU - www.smugmug.com

Re: Go4it Racing School

I have taken one of Ricky Orlando's classes and highly recommend it.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy4Rider";p="210915
    I wonder if there were enough CSC'ers interested, if we could get one of the schools to give us a CSC group discount?Its always worth asking, right?
    Yeap... i think we can get a nice size group of people to do this..

You should get a group together and look at renting SCR. I'm sure you get a few racers from the MRA including myself to come out and give some instruction. Not sure what the schools cost but I would help anyone out for free if I have the time.

There is a long break between CDR and La Junta so we could look at something in that time frame.

Lurch
    MRA #retired

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch";p="210925
    You should get a group together and look at renting SCR. I'm sure you get a few racers from the MRA including myself to come out and give some instruction. Not sure what the schools cost but I would help anyone out for free if I have the time.

There is a long break between CDR and La Junta so we could look at something in that time frame.

Lurch
    That would work for me - Lets see who else is interested.

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

i'm interested.
    Cleveland

I would be if I wasn't running away to Canada
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Princess";p="210933
    I would be if I wasn't running away to Canada

Canadians are funny...
    Cleveland

'eh?
    Jon

Leroy Brown

I met the head dude (Mike Pettiford) down at PMI during a track day. Pretty quick around the circuit, smooth.

He spent an inordinate amount of time talking about himself and I've learned over the years that the fast guys are usually the ones who do the least amount of talking about themselves. I don't know about his teaching/race credentials.

Having said that... I know NOTHING of his school or ability to teach. If you can get some good track time on a good track (NOT PMI) for a reasonable price it'd probably be worth it.

Mike is definitely a very smooth rider, and rather quick. I've also heard similar to what RAGrote wrote above. I know 2 people who have done schools with him, one on bikes and another in a car. I think he can teach some good skills, but his prices seem rather high for what you get.

I don't have any experience with Ricky's school, though I believe Greg Greenwood did schooling with Ricky, and he's turned out fast as hell.

I'd also suggest contacting Mark Schellinger of Vanmar, my understanding is that he does rider training at SCR upon request for very reasonable prices.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

I've met one, possibly two (can't remember for sure) people who have taken his (Go4it) classes. Mike's a nice guy, and he has a business to run, but from my limited exposure to the results of his work, I wasn't impressed. Of course, the students may have played some factor into the limited success, but I've developed the opinion that he is overpriced, and not very effective for somebody who wants to go faster. I think he may be a good instructor for somebody who's never been on a track before, or for the avereage Joe who wants a once-in-a-lifetime-type of thrill (Go4it teaches cars too). One of his MC students praised him up & down, but her riding sucked (and she probably spent $600 with him).

Ricky Orlando is a former #1 ROR plate holder, but I don't know what his classes are like. I believe both Jenny & Canuck are going to be attending one of Orlandos classes later this month, but that is also so they can qualify to get their MRA license.

As Lurch mentioned, there are many racers that would be more than happy to help out people wanting to go faster on the track.

I definatley appreciate all the input. Ricky's school is alot more reasonably priced than Mike's and so far I have not heard anything negative about either one. Guess it will come down to a financial decision. I will have to figure out what it breaks down to per hour for each.

I am still definately up for Lurch's offer if we can find enough people to go in on renting out SCR.

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

I would be interested in bucking up for some SCR time with qualified instructors as well.

I would highly recommend the www.starmotorcycleschool.com I have take 2 of there 2 day classes and that was the best $1200 I've spent on my race program yet.

I have also taken he keith Code SBk school and it was decent he has some rally good basic things he teaches.

Also I have worked with Mark Schellinger a few times and he is very good aswell.

I have learned they all teach a little different and have some different Ideas on how you should ride. I like to soak up all the info and pick and choose little things from each of them to suit my riding style.

Just remember just becuase one person says thats how its done .. doesnt mean it cant be done another way just as fast.

I have taken classes with Schellinger and Orlando. Both are awsome at what they do, however I think Schellinger is a little better and possibly cheaper. However, he is a little hard to get a hold off (especialy if you are running around trying to convert people to other tire brands... you know who you are).

Orlando is also very very good, and I would also recomend him. And I am preaty sure he offers group discounts.

As for Petiford, he is a cool guy to talk to, but his best time at PPIR was a 1:02.600 and his best at SCR was 1:12.471 on a DUCATI 999! Sounds to me like you are better of paying some of the novices running 1:10s!

Just my $0.02
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    I can't speak for Mike's classes as I have not taken one, but I have heard mixed results about it. He seems to be more suited for the begginer riders/track people from what I've heard.

I've taught "classes" on everything from basic track riding, to racing, to stunts (wheelies, stoppies, burouts etc). I've also taken a few riding schools and picked up all kinds of stuff along the way. I too would be willing to help instruct if we got a class together. I'm also available for private instruction if anyone is interested.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!
    I'm interested in private instruction ... no, really I am...
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

Loopty

Quote Originally Posted by ebazyl";p="210982
    As for Petiford, he is a cool guy to talk to, but his best time at PPIR was a 1:02.600 and his best at SCR was 1:12.471 on a DUCATI 999! Sounds to me like you are better of paying some of the novices running 1:10s!

Just my $0.02
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Quote Originally Posted by ebazyl";p="210982

Just my $0.02
    Just becuase someone can go fast doesnt mean they can explain what they are doing.

Loopty
    True, but if you know how to go fast, you generally do.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

This is great.. I think we can get a lot of CSC members together for a class and some BBQ. I have been to PMI and I think they also rent the track out, I know it’s a shitty track but it’s worth a try or option from SCR.
    I think we have a great resource pool in CSC and we should utilize it. I’m glad some of you season riders are volunteering your knowledge, hopeful we can get a list of “instructors” and we can all chip in and cover your part of the track fee.

Lets make this happen…