Thread: Newb Launching ?'s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Newbie

Newb Launching ?'s

I've been working on launching on my 650r. I've searched online about the subject but I still have a couple of questions.

I've been holding the rpm's at about 5000 and then letting the clutch out. Everything I've read says to "dump the clutch" or let it out fast. It seems like when I let it out fast, the engine bogs down and doesn't shoot all that fast. Dumping the clutch at 6000 rpm's, I'll do a wheelie and have to let off the throttle to put the front down so I don't crap myself when I open the throttle wide open in first gear.

When I don't let the clutch out fast, I let the clutch out past the friction zone but don't let it out all the way and "ride the clutch" while cranking open the throttle. I'll simultaneously open the throttle wide open and completely let the clutch out at this point. Riding the clutch doesn't "shoot" me off the line though.

What rpm's do you guys launch at? Should I be holding the rpm's higher than 5000? What's your clutch technique for launching? How do you not do a wheelie when "dumping" the clutch at high rpm's? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Domino; Thu May 24th, 2007 at 11:21 PM.