View Poll Results: Would you resto-mod it?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Sounds like a cool plan and will be a sweet bike!

4 33.33%
  • No. Old pile of junk and not worth putting the coin into.

2 16.67%
  • Nah. Leave it alone. Stock is the only cool way.

6 50.00%
  • Other. (post below)

0 0%

Thread: Retro sportbike project! Thoughts?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Retro sportbike project! Thoughts?

So I picked up this old FZ600 for someone to learn on. They were great little bikes. 54hp, narrow, practically turn themselves.

This was Yamaha's first racer replica that hit the streets.

What I have discovered owning it is that there are so many people out there that were in love with these things. They drempt of owning one when they were in high school etc. We have had guys come over and rant and rave about how cool it is and totally ignore my 2007 R1.

So here is my thoughts on it.

I think with a few tweaks we can make this a really cool retro bike with modern handling. I want to make it handle better and "enhance" the looks but keep most of the classic style.

Here were my thoughts.

-Update the front forks to GSXR adjustable upside down sliders. Actually want to update the whole front end. (switches, brakes etc). Want gold forks since currently the brakes are gold on this thing.

-Wider wheels. Something lighter and wide enough to run radials. I would paint them the factory red so they keep the classic look. I have already figured out that you can run a 150ish in the rear.

-Powdercoat the frame factory red. Repaint the motor to look original and clean, etc

-I want to repaint all the plastics to a bright metalic white and put fresh decals on it. (it would look just like it does now, just fresh and crisp).

Thoughts? Would you do it? Cool enough?

Almost as it sits now. (has new tires)

Last edited by Xtremjeepn; Mon Nov 19th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com