Hi there,
First off my name is Joe.. I recently moved here and live in Lafayette and am looking for some people to ride with..

That being said.. help me fix this biotch!

oK, when I got it, it would stumble at 7k rpm and stop spinning.. Any gear. After a bunch of screwing around I found that with no air filter it will take the tach needle and try to wrap it around the indicator several times .. I was VERY happy.. however, after taking the stock mikuni jet of 120 all the way down to a 90 I cannot get it to stop running rich with the filter in place.. I can't even have just the airbox cap on with no filter it STILL runs rich. I tried a K&N. I cleaned the carbs. I replaced the carbs with a used set I bought and it did virtually the same thing.. (they were really ratty carbs though). These are the Mikuni BS34 carbs btw.

I have heard of this problem when going to 4 into 1 exhaust.. I hear its almost impossible in the GPZ 750 to do this. Mine are stock but probably worn out.. So I am wondering if its a similar problem?

There are 2 jets in the BS34.. the "pilot" and main. I have not touched the pilot.. I read it only effect 1/4 throttle.. I have adjusted the idle adjusters per the manual.. 2.5 turns I think.. the carbs were recently synched. This thing runs awesome with no air filter.. I use a window screen over the airbox to stop rocks from entering.

The only other issue is it smokes badly when started.. but then it goes away.. tried straight weight oil and it seems worse.. go figure.

Looking at the carbs.. seems like the mains have much less of an effect than the needles themselves.. mine are not adjustable.. I dunno.. I'm getting tired of pulling the carbs out and messign with this thing.. frustration has set in. Compression is a little low at 120 with 5 psi diff in all 4.. but its within specs!

Help!
Joe