So i dont post on this board much...but i cannot think of a better place to ask my questions, all feedback is welcome.

I ride an aprilia futura, mostly commute to work and ride 2 up with my girl all over the state. I grew up on endless outdoor property with a kawi enduro, learned in the dirt and wrecked everyday playing around. I cannot stop thinking about how incredible an enduro would be here in Denver. I moved here almost 5 years ago, and im ready to commit to some dirt riding.
As a tester, i borrowed my buddies kawi 650 enduro he uses and took it up to idaho springs, then about 5 miles in towards mt. Evans, hung a right and went up some dirt roads. This bike was HORRIBLE, it bogged down, had no nuts, stalled out unless above 3grand, and generally felt like a turd. It was carburated, and maybe that was the problem. This led me to think that i need fuel injection, but i hardly think thats the case cause people around here had to ride carbs long ago around here.

I have the opprotunity to buy a Honda cfr 230cc dual sport, its pretty cheap it seems for being an 09 but its carbed and i hesitate.
I want a bike that i wont have to trailer, (but i have one if i need to) ride to where i can get to trails up in the mts. beat the dog snot out of it, and get home at the end of the day, torque and range is good, suspension will be tested and i bet i will lay it down 3 times a day on the trail so it needs to take a slight beating..
What are some good makes and models for my needs? Any feedback is welcome and encouraged for anyone with experience in this matter.
Thank you for your time and reply. My regards. Max