Thread: Leading a Ride and Going On a Ride

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Leading a Ride and Going On a Ride

We've had what seems like a large number of accidents this year (I can't compare to last year because of the server crash). So, I have some suggestions.

If you post a ride:
    1. Realize you are responsible for the group. Don't just take off and go nuts. You need to lead the group and make decisions that are smart for the group. If you want to have a fun ride and do what ever you want, go with one or two of your buddies. Group rides have very different dynamics and responsibilities.
    2. Put the date in the title of the thread
    3. Put what type of ride you're going to have in the thread whether it be a nice easy ride or a spirited ride through the canyons.
    4. When you meet up with the people, have a discussion about expectations about passing, speed, skill level etc.
    5. Let people know that you will wait for them at stopping points and they don't need to keep up. If you are not planning on waiting for folks at stopping points, please put that in the thread.
    6. Have a safety talk before you go
    7. If it's a larger group, assign a sweeper so that no one gets left really far behind.

If you go on a posted ride:
    1. Ask questions about the style of ride when you get to the meet up. If it's not the ride for you, PM me and I'll happily go riding with you.
    2. Know your limits!

For everyone...I'll say it once and I'll keep saying it forever...RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE. The road is not the track and and not riding to your level and above a certain level of ego in this sport will probably get you injured or killed (If not, you are very very lucky). If you feel like you are going too fast, you are. SLOW DOWN. Speed does not mean skill. You can not build skill riding at 100%. You can only build skill riding at 70 or 80%. Speed will come, but you will never be able to go as fast on the open road as you do on the track. If you feel like you are running at 100% just to keep up, you don't have the skills to keep up and that's when accidents happen.
    Last edited by bornwildnfree; Mon Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."