Thread: Durango 2011 - September 10th and 11th

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Durango 2011 - September 10th and 11th

** RESCHEDULED **

I was just informed that I'm already booked for this Sunday 9/11. I'm sorry, I completely forgot about it.

I think it was just going to be Cornfed and me. Depending on the weather I'm looking at the following weekend as an option (Sept 17/1. My only concern is its getting pretty cold in the early mornings and this trip calls for leaving at 6am and riding at elevation.

Original feeler thread here:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=41018

http://mapq.st/pKbT0F

When and where

Saturday and Sunday, September 10th/11th.

Meet up for breakfast and pep talk at Jan's Restaurant in Buena Vista, CO

304 US Highway 24 South
    Buena Vista, CO 81211
    (719) 395-6940

Arrive at Jan's @ 8:00 AM -- eat some food, maps handed out and pep talk.
    KSU at 9:00 AM

Southies should meet at the Acorn Gas station at 8/24 and be prepared to leave at 6:00 AM

Northies should meet at MOCO and also be prepared to leave at 6:00 AM

It's about 100 miles to Buena Vista from both locations.

The route

From Buena Vista we'll head to Gunnison, Lake City, South Fork, Pagosa Springs and then finally Durango.

Return trip goes through the incredible San Juan mountains and Black Canyon.

The total mileage for this trip is between 900 and 1000 miles. We're doing roughly 500 miles per day, expect each day to be up to 12 hours.

Estimated Cost
    We'll be getting a hotel in Durango. I don't foresee having a problem getting a place for us ad-hoc given that this is the weekend after labor day weekend.

Between fuel, food and lodging I'm budgeting $200.

Want to go?

We did this as a club in 2007. 25,000 miles and 3 states later Durango 2007 still ranks as one of my all-time most memorable motorcycle rides. If you're interested in going, please reply here.

Make sure that you and your bike are up for the trip. I recommend changing out your oil and coolant before hand and taking care of any problems or service items. You don't want to find yourself stranded hundreds of miles from home.

-Clovis
    Last edited by Clovis; Tue Sep 6th, 2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Updated the map photo