Thread: Pikes Peak Motorsports/HD

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pikes Peak Motorsports/HD

Wtf? I bought a brand new BMW S1000RR from them last week, new 2012 model. I do my negotiating, etc, get the price to a decent point, then I mention BMWs 2012 military discount. They'd never heard of it. I show them the BMW USA website, they make a few phone calls, and figure out my $1000 military incentive discount. An hour or two later they figure out the paperwork, training a new guy to do it on paper. (rebate isn't in their system, had to hand write the paperwork, but whatever I still saved a ton of cash).

Anyway, the whole dealer experience might have thrown me off, I won't go into details but I was less than impressed by their sales tactics, but I did end up with a good price on the new bike so I tolerated it, but today, barely a week later, I bring the bike in for the 600 mile break in service. Everything is supposed to be routine, but I call them about an hour before they close, and after a few minutes on hold I'm told "the 'service' is complete, but there's problem with the ECU and it won't 'reboot' and they can't reprogram it and remove the break-in rev limiter, etc." I'm told the bike 'runs' and I can come get it if I absolutely need it, but it's not running as it should, and they cant get in touch with BMW technical support because it's after hours on a weekend, etc.

So, to me it sounds like they bricked my ECU and can't get my bike out of "limp home" mode, all on a 600 mile break in service. Probably didn't research the fact that the primary change from the '10-'11 S1000RR and the '12 IS the ECU, and it probably doesn't respond the same way with existing equipment, but thats just my own speculation. Being a graduate level IT tech, the first thing that comes to mind is something as simple as a bus speed issue, but I can't confirm this, it's only my own speculation. When you call a "certified' dealer checking on he status of a very much routine service and they tell you "Oh, the service is done but we can't figure out the ECU" it really makes you question things.

Anyway, anybody know a dealer e perienced with '12 BMWs that might be able to do a follow-up inspection for "warranty" purposes or something? Th bike came stock with a 36 mo, 36,000 mi factory warranty, and the fact that a "certified" dealer can't handle a scheduled brek in service really has me worried...
    Last edited by Sarge; Sat Apr 7th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*