Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMI Track Days

Re: IMI Track Days

What a blast.

It was great to be able to run the track in both directions. I now prefer counter clock wise, but coming over the hill before the straight going clock wise set up for some sweet power wheelies, and big slides while down shifting.

Drawing a blank on his name, but dude on the ZX-10 was wicked fast!!!

I'm grabbing a quick dinner, then it's time to dump my video to YouTube and upload the pics...

Fast bikes, fast cars, some wicked headshake while missing gears, and of corse... crashes!

=p

- Pixel -
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

Ooh yeah, and if anyone wants to read up on track riding technique, check out this link:

Clicky:
    http://foreven.com/trackdod/NoviceGuide/

It's quite a long read, but has tons of info that has helped me on the track.

- Pixel -

Hmm. I want to quote part of this guide... man... I need more practice:

Shifting down
    One difference between shifting down on the racetrack and shifting down on the street is that on the track you only downshift when you're braking. You downshift to get into the right gear for a corner, and since you're accelerating all the way up to the moment you brake, you'll be braking when you downshift.

A downshift must be done properly to be smooth. This is a point where you really don't want to lock the rear, and so you must match the rpms properly.

Ok, after reviewing my tank videos today, I absolutely need to work on this.

When I shift down from second into first at the end of the straights, I see on the video that I'm braking, revs start to drop... then the revs drop a lot as I shift, and come way back up as I let the clutch out.

Anyone who's seen me on the track can tell you that I slide too much lol.

This one is definately on the top of my list of things to work on. I think our parking lot sessions might be a good place to practice this. Nice long straight line.

Other than that, I think I got lucky on a mis-shift. I'm coming up on the blind hill, and you have to lean early to avoid going off the track... I'm in first, and I go to click into second... and find neutral. I couldn't believe how hard it was to keep the lean angle just coasting...

About half a second later, I find second and get a nasty headshake as the revs pick back up. So, there's another reason for me to work on rev matching.

Lol, I can't wait until you see the video of that. This above text will make a bunch more sence.

- Pixel -
    Last edited by pixel 6; Mon Sep 18th, 2006 at 11:19 PM.
    The below sentence is true.
    The above sentence is false.

very nice post pixel 6. I'm sure it will be of value to everyone. ty
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

WOW What a great day yesterday was for the track - sunny and mid 60s. We had about 16 people show up. It was great to meet some new people. And thanks to the experienced riders who were helping me out with my techniques (RYBO and Cycle_Monkey in particular). It is sooo frustrating being so out there compared to you guys but I will work on everything that you guys taught me yesterday. I was excited that you guys were so willing to help a newbie. Thanks

1oftheBoys - No problem loaning you the pants. Will get them next time we go out for drinks. And the encouragement is greatly appreciated.

That would be Terra on the ZX10R. A lot of guys "talk" fast... He just is. Not much of a "poster" on the CSC site-- he has however admitted to surfing through the posts now and again.

Yep, that was a lot of fun. I gotta figure out how to upload video to the net. I also think some of the photos turned out pretty good. I'll try and download them from my camera later and then post up a few.

Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by pixel 6
    What a blast.

It was great to be able to run the track in both directions. I now prefer counter clock wise, but coming over the hill before the straight going clock wise set up for some sweet power wheelies, and big slides while down shifting.

Drawing a blank on his name, but dude on the ZX-10 was wicked fast!!!

I'm grabbing a quick dinner, then it's time to dump my video to YouTube and upload the pics...

Fast bikes, fast cars, some wicked headshake while missing gears, and of corse... crashes!

=p

- Pixel -

Yup, great time and great people.
    03 GSXR 750

It was a great time. It's good to be a part of a club with so many fast yet smart and predictable riders who just happen to be really nice people too.
    And after watching Terra, man...so much to learn! Although I think a lot of his smoothness and speed are probably due to things that cannot be learned - talent and stuff. If I was that quick I'd probably be a jackass - but he's a really nice guy.
    "Ask me about my weiner!"

aka "Ponch"
    '07 gsxr 750
    '05 crf250

Yeah, what a great first day on a track. Thanks to everyone out there for your knowledge. Colorado sport bike club is definetly filled with some top notch people. Thanks again!

post of the pics!!!!!!!!!!

I had this same thing happen to me. I made a lazy shift (and hit nuetral) going into a downhill left-hand turn that tightened up along the way. Brakes didn't help, they only wanted to stand the bike up. The only thing I could do was keep leaning the bike over with countersteer. Man, that's like taking a roller coaster ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel 6

Other than that, I think I got lucky on a mis-shift. I'm coming up on the blind hill, and you have to lean early to avoid going off the track... I'm in first, and I go to click into second... and find neutral. I couldn't believe how hard it was to keep the lean angle just coasting...
    - Pixel -

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMike
    post of the pics!!!!!!!!!!
    I won't be able to do that until I come back from Vegas (family stuff ) Perhaps one of the other riders has some shots? I've got at least 35 to choose from. But it'll have to wait-sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot
    That would be Terra on the ZX10R. A lot of guys "talk" fast... He just is. Not much of a "poster" on the CSC site-- he has however admitted to surfing through the posts now and again.

Yep, that was a lot of fun. I gotta figure out how to upload video to the net. I also think some of the photos turned out pretty good. I'll try and download them from my camera later and then post up a few.

Pilot
    yeah I had the pleasure of riding with Terra and he is indeed fast. I liked riding with him very much...always something new to learn
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Brad at IMI is a very good machinist/welder if you need anything fixed.
    Jeff in Littleton
    '02 Blackbird
    '98 Sports racer

When is the next IMI group day going to be planned?

The Duc is feeling kind of neglected since I got the Busa back on the road. Would like to try out IMI while the Duc is still in track dress from the PMP day I did. It sounds like you have a good time out there.

Terra is a great rider and good guy. I know what my signature says but when he passed me heading down Squaw Pass with his girl on the back it really put the humility into second gear.
    The older I get the faster I was!

were's these vids and pics?
    So imi is worth going to huh ?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I think it is. It's really short, you probably won't make it out of second gear, but there are 10 turns in 1 mile and it's cheap.

Some pics from the last time I was there are here.

eklew, she-devil, IRdave, bueller and some others were there.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en

i still want to see the video of my crash

i still want to see the video of my crash
    Pixle6 has that.

are you in contact with him? cause i would love to see it. i dont remeber much of it cept getting up wondering why i was on the ground lol.

Taking the 6rr out there this weekend if the weather holds. Got new rubber trying to get into the 1 min lap times.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

are you in contact with him? cause i would love to see it. i dont remeber much of it cept getting up wondering why i was on the ground lol.
    No. I pm'd him before but never got back to me. Oh yeah, you fell cuz you were riding a yammie! Just kidding man, good to see another Bay Area rider.