Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is IMI open?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: is IMI open?

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller
    I think Sunday is the day people are going, at least I am, and a few others.
    My brother in law and I will probably come out there. The Gixxer will be overkill but I've got the 500 torn apart for restoration at the moment.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I may show up as well… hope to see some of you guys there.

Want my tires worn out before I go to Pueblo so I can put on the pilot powers, maybe the 2CTs….

Does anyone know the conditions of the dirt road stretch over there? I would be riding there, no trailer.

Last edited by Vehicle 1; Sat Feb 17th, 2007 at 06:37 PM.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Yep, I just picked up some "new" take-offs to mount up... I'll see you guys there.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

Looks like it might be a good turnout

Jim you get that KTM put back together?

Quote Originally Posted by irdave
    Yep, I just picked up some "new" take-offs to mount up... I'll see you guys there.
    rad my suspension guy will be there!

Need suspension work? www.fixmybike.com

Quote Originally Posted by motobum
    rad my suspension guy will be there!
    Dude.

You know the suspension on an NSR50 is NONadjustable, right?!

And I just mounted up the "new" shoes.

WooHoo! (I sure hope it's warm.)
    dave.
    www.STMSuspension.com

Quote Originally Posted by irdave
    Dude.

You know the suspension on an NSR50 is NONadjustable, right?!

And I just mounted up the "new" shoes.

WooHoo! (I sure hope it's warm.)
    no way... it has adjustable preload and dampening front and rear

check out all the cool stuff for it- http://www.hondaminitrail.com/NSR50.htm
    Last edited by motobum; Sat Feb 17th, 2007 at 08:46 PM.

I was hoping that I would be over this cold/flu/?? and would be able to make it today, but I'm not. Hope everyone has a good time.
    2003 GSX-R750 Angry Marmot Motorsports #256
    Voted "Best Smelling Exhaust" May 2006

Looks like it might be a good turnout

Jim you get that KTM put back together?

Not yet Started building the engine yesterday almost finished and I broke the fricken autodecomp cam lever. So it looks like I will be on the wife's bike.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

That sucks, you assemble those engines with a hammer don't you?

I'm leaving now, looks to be a nice day!

See ya out there
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet

Good to see everybody, and meet a few newies.
    That was a heck of a nice highside toward the end of the day, anyone on here? Can't lock that rear brake coming into a corner.

And the day I have long feared arrived when Filo passed me and I had to fight my way back by him as we traded positions repeatedly for a couple laps (Does that work for you Adam?).

Who all got stuck in that traffic SB I-25? I pulled of at 136th and took Washington down to 104th and got back on. Could see a 1/4 mi. up the highway a bad rollover had all lanes blocked.
    Last edited by Bueller; Sun Feb 18th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

Great day riding- for the first day of the season...

NB traffic was nada- especially as I drove slow as hell on the way home; I love riding on the track.
    dave.
    www.STMSuspension.com

Nice to meet you guys out there today…. feels good to get out and play

The track was a little slick, but overall a good day. The kid at the office said that the $10 increase (on the asphalt fee) is to raise money for new pavement over the summer, nice…

Take care,

Diego.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Who all got stuck in that traffic SB I-25? I pulled of at 136th and took Washington down to 104th and got back on. Could see a 1/4 mi. up the highway a bad rollover had all lanes blocked.

We got stuck in that hella traffic, that sucked.

That was a great time today! Thanks irdave for helping me out, that made the last time around soo much better.

It was nice to meet everyone out there, hope to run into you all out there again real soon.

Tanya
    '00 Ducati Monster 900
    '03 Ducati Monster 620 (sold)
    '00 Mercedes Benz C280 Sport
    '91 VW Jetta GLi 2.0 16v on it's nutz (sold)

Anonymous: "Ok...so I had sex with Grimace..."

Good to see everybody, and meet a few newies.
    That was a heck of a nice highside toward the end of the day, anyone on here? Can't lock that rear brake coming into a corner.
    Yeah, that was my brother in law unfortunately. He's a relatively new rider (started last summer) and this was his first time on a track. We were going to do one last set of laps and I had just gotten the tires warmed up when he went down. He had started out ahead of me and when I was coming through turn 9 I saw him exiting 10. When I came through 11, I looked where I expected to see him (turn 2) and he wasn't there. Then I saw his bike and him in the mud past the entrance to turn 1. Since I didn't see the wreck, I could only guess that he came in too hot, the brain stem took over and he locked it up. If any of you guys saw it and have some feedback I can pass along to him, let me know. He's a little banged up but he'll be ok.

Great to meet a few of you guys. You guys on the 'tards were ripping it up pretty good! As Diego noted, the track felt a little slippery in places. I was definitely walking the rear end out a little on turn 7. I think it's more the sucky stock Dunlops they put on the Gixxer. Looking forward to putting some Pilot Powers on it.

It'll be fun to see how it does when they resurface it. Turn 5 is a bit bumpy and slippery so I was taking it easy through there. I think my favorite stretch is 8 through 9 over the little hill. It took a little while to get the line right through there but once I did, it felt great. I really had a good time out there. Hope I didn't slow you guys down too much! Definitely looking forward to getting out there again!

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

And the day I have long feared arrived when Filo passed me and I had to fight my way back by him as we traded positions repeatedly for a couple laps (Does that work for you Adam?).
    Thanks Dave, that looks real good. I'll give you the $5 for that plug later.

I had a ton of fun, but I don't think I am going to be able to move tomorrow. Too bad so many people crashed - some because they were running over others who just crashed. Oh well.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell
    If any of you guys saw it and have some feedback I can pass along to him, let me know. He's a little banged up but he'll be ok.
    I heard the skid and looked over to see his rear locked up and the bike sliding sideways, it looked like he was trying to back it in then he let off the brake and the tire hooked up and catapulted him off, there wasn't much of a chance for him to save that one. Advice would be, stay off the rear brake, and if he gets in a situation were he can't make the corner, stand the bike up straight and ride it off into the run off, scrub as much speed off as possible with the front brake until he hits the dirt, at that time let off the front brake and then go to the back brake and try to keep it from skidding to much. Although he probably would have laid it down in that mud it probably wouldn't have been that violent. Practice some emergency braking techniques, in some empty parking lots to get a feel for the stopping power of the brakes. And remember if you do get into the mud make sure you don't track it back onto the racing line on the track, stay to the very edge of the pavement, the next riders will appreciate it.

Advice would be, stay off the rear brake, and if he gets in a situation were he can't make the corner, stand the bike up straight and ride it off into the run off, ... Practice some emergency braking techniques, in some empty parking lots to get a feel for the stopping power of the brakes. And remember if you do get into the mud make sure you don't track it back onto the racing line on the track, stay to the very edge of the pavement, the next riders will appreciate it.
    Ok, thanks. Now that I know better what happened, I'll talk to him about it. I didn't realize the mud was as bad as it was when I pulled off to see how he was doing. Good for him that it was so soft.

--Thomas Jefferson

Had fun on the DRZ. Hopefully the kaboom will be up and running for the next time. I left a little soon my back was killing me.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

Man, it sounds like you guys had a nice time. I was gonna join you, but I am too chicken to ride on a track just yet (heh, but I will take on I25, go figure?). Also, my "new-ish" knobby tires aren't exactly what I would want to ride on the track, and the 450+lb beast is too much for the "dirt" stuff

~tommy
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

good day!

thanks everyone for not running me over on the 50

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTheKid
    but I am too chicken to ride on a track just yet (heh, but I will take on I25, go figure?). Also, my "new-ish" knobby tires aren't exactly what I would want to ride on the track
    No better place to build riding skills, every new(ish) rider should do some track days, it is a great place to get some good turns in. IMI is good because it is not a high speed track and there are a lot of street riders there. Good time to get riding pointers if you ask for 'em.
    Knobbies would not be a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTheKid
    Man, it sounds like you guys had a nice time. I was gonna join you, but I am too chicken to ride on a track just yet (heh, but I will take on I25, go figure?). Also, my "new-ish" knobby tires aren't exactly what I would want to ride on the track, and the 450+lb beast is too much for the "dirt" stuff
    What Bueller said. This is a great track for newcomers because you don't really get going too fast. I was hitting ~80 on the back straight on the Gixxer but I wasn't really pushing it since I don't get a big thrill out of going fast in a straight line anyway and I didn't see the point in thrashing the brakes to dive into that hairpin lefthander at the end of it. You'll get some really good practice with low speed turns and transitions on this track.

I'll take the track over street roads any day. At one point as I was heading down the back straight, it occurred to me how relaxed I felt on the track compared to on the street since I didn't have to worry about cell-phone intoxicated cagers and all the other unknowns that are thrown at you there. Yesterday was nice too because it wasn't too busy, so you could pretty much ride your own pace and not have to worry about getting into a lot of traffic. I can easily imagine that weekends there during the summer could get pretty busy. I'm already aware that I'm going to be getting Track Withdrawal Syndrome a few times on weekdays during the summer and going there for the cure. I understand that CSC members are highly susceptible to this illness.

--Thomas Jefferson