Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

Re: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

anyone know if they have that high octane gas at that gas station? above 91octane?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

negative
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    anyone know if they have that high octane gas at that gas station? above 91octane?
    Why do you need it? Most stock or lightly modified bikes would only need 91 at most at this elevation. I usually run 89 in mine.

s

Suppose he could always toss in some octane booster. Or might that be bad?

Talking Re: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

eh, i run octane enhancer in mine and it does help, especially at altitude, i really dont know if its bad for it though. my bikes old i need to give it all the help i can. well aboot to head out to the spot springs people are meeting at. l8r
    Brat

Altitude has the opposite effect on the need for higher octane. An old Katana motor (or any age) has no need of higher than mid grade and would probably do fine on regular, it is a relativly low compression engine. Higher octane does nothing for performance, it is to keep the motor from detonatng, if anything you are hurting performance. Do a search on octane, and you will see what I am talking about. You are just throwing $ away.

+1

I used to put "Premium" in my 'busa but when the prices got outragous, someone posted a similar thought. I checked my owners manual and found the 'busa only needs 87 octane. In the high country, I can put 85 in (subtract one octane for each half mile of altitude). Just check your owners manual and do the math.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Pretty much any stock bike at Denver or higher elevation can run the lowest octane at the pump, regardless of what the owner's manual says - those are written for sea level, where the increased air density requires additional octane.

Unless you have higher compression from engine modification or forced induction (supercharger, turbocharger), high octane gas is just you helping oil execs get richer while you lose power on your bike.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Well, see yall there. Has it been determined whether or not you can get to morrison road from 470 yet?

wow ya learn something new everyday... good to know to save $$$ treefitty a gal almost..
    oh btw good seeing all the bikes, springs crew went and ended up seeing the group with the TLR in it, at woodland park, we got snowed on at horsepower hill. other than that good ride, pics will be up in a min.
    Brat

Got back a little while ago, good ride but its unfortunate that we had the crash, those back to back 20 mph turns on 105 were really surprising. But the guy was back on his bike and riding when we saw him at the arby's so thats good.

CanyonCarver, e-mail me some of the better pictures when ya get a chance. bluedog66@gmail.com
    Last edited by BlueDog; Sun May 13th, 2007 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Got back a little while ago, good ride but its unfortunate that we had the crash, those back to back 20 mph turns on 105 were really surprising...
    Crash, eh? Eveyone ok?

'06 SV650S

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lightning126zp View Post
    Crash, eh? Eveyone ok?
    Yeah, just a minor tip-over from running a bit wide in a slow corner. Broke the turn signal, some scratched plastic, and his face had a small cut, but he almost saved it. We think he just grabbed a bunch of front brake out of instinct and that put him over.

Good ride though!
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

yeah we had a bike go down grabbed too much front brake and went down, stopped nye two feet from behind me and the honda. i was watching him slide towards us going, oh no.... he was fine plastics scrapped minorly, nothing a bit o paint wont fix.
    looking forward to another, in the mtns the way the springs crew went.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Yeah, that was Joel (kcchiefs) on a VStrom. I was sweeping the group and saw it from beginning to end. He got a little wide and went into the dirt. He was giving it a hell of a ride and I thought he was going to save it. I kept thinking "stay off that front brake, stay off that front brake" but it looked like he grabbed the front brake and it went down. He got a pretty good bump on the head but the helmet did the job. He seemed to be doing ok after the adrenalin settled down but with a potential head injury we played it safe and called the paramedics out. The paramedics gave him a thumbs up so after getting a ride from a sheriff's deputy to the next stop, he got back on the horse and rode on. I rode back home with him and he was doing fine.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Nice ride gents.

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

It was really nice to meet so many good people today. It was also good putting a "screen name" with a real name and face.

Had a blast fellas...and gals. That ride from Deckers to Pine Junction was pretty "spirited". Thanks Bob for leading the charge. Had tons of fun.

Take care everyone.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    It was really nice to meet so many good people today. It was also good putting a "screen name" with a real name and face.
    Very true, now if only my memory was good enough to actually remember who was what screen name, there were loads of people.

WOW!! that was fun. thanks for all the help i got from the veterans. very well put together meet. thanks CSC

btw. i was the guy with the #3 on my jacket
    2008 CBR600RR

AKA "Devaclis"

The wife and I had a great time. She will most certainly ride with you guys again
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Hey everyone! Great riding with you all and getting to meet some new people. We came back in through Woodland Park, briefly stopped in Deckers and up to 285. I can't remember the names of the leaders, but I know one was Scott. One of the board Admins took a faster crew on the Deckers/285 stretch.

As for Joel's wreck, I sincerely hope I didn't have anything to do with it. I was on his back left coming around that corner, and I breaked it a little late. I hope he didn't feel "pressured" coming around that turn because I came up on him. If so... I need to know, because I know what it's like to feel "rushed" in a corner, and I would never want some one else to feel that way.

Glad he's ok - and overall, a great ride! Now I'm gonna throw on some crappy TNT flicks, sip my Amstel, and crash for a few hours.

Sorry i couldn't ride back with the main group. I had to get back, it was very nice meeting ya'll. Had a blast, hope everyone got back ok!

Sorry we missed it. I had plans on leaving at 8:30ish so we could be there for a meet and greet but with getting everything together and making sure Rita had everything she needed, we didn't get out the door until about 9. I didn't think we had enough time to get to Morrison to say "hi" so we bailed at 72 and went up Coal Creek to Peak to Peak, down to Estes Park and down 34.

I got video of 72, Peak to Peak and 34. I'm retrieving it now and will post it for anyone interested in the video section.

Sorry to hear someone went down. Good that he's ok though.

Until next time.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Newbie...Again!!! Lifetime Supporter ZX Rider's Avatar

Great ride today !
    Especially last part (Woodland Park to 285).
    Thanks DK for organizing this.
    Thanks Bob for leading.
    2010 ZX-10R