Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another downed rider....

Another downed rider....

*****EDIT*****
    This is not a thread to get everyone to hate these 2 people, hopefully it'll educate others and possibly avoid something very bad in the future.
    *****end of edit*****

Alright, seriously dissapointed here in a couple of newer members of this board, you both know who you are so we will keep it "nameless". I suggest you don't reply to this thread and possibly take it as a costly learning point at the expense of a girl that I know.

I have a female friend in Boulder that is new to bikes, already been down a couple of times and needs help with riding from competent experienced riders. So she has been looking for others to help her ride. She obviously found the wrong people.

Sunday, she decides to go riding from Boulder with these 2 people and they end up stopping somewhere, have a little bit (not sure how little) to drink and take off to go riding. She said she was doing 80+ and still couldn't keep up. Accident occurred which was deemed as her fault but these two guys were far enough ahead of her that they didn't know she went down and ended up coming back a little later while she was waiting for the ambulance.

All this stuff with wheelies, or stoppies out in traffic, doing 80+ down broadway has got to stop. If you want to ride spirited, choose the right time and place.....along with the right people. Don't take a newbie and endanger them trying to show off you "skills". Theres a reason why I don't ride with these people in the street any longer, but now after this, obviously I won't be associating with them either.

Injuries were not life threatening, road rash on her leg(s).

And I have people asking me why I don't ride in the street anymore?
    Last edited by Slo; Mon May 21st, 2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added more comments

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Re: Another downed rider....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Alright, seriously dissapointed here in a couple of newer members of this board, you both know who you are so we will keep it "nameless". I suggest you don't reply to this thread and possibly take it as a costly learning point at the expense of a girl that I know.

I have a female friend in Boulder that is new to bikes, already been down a couple of times and needs help with riding from competent experienced riders. So she has been looking for others to help her ride. She obviously found the wrong people.

Sunday, she decides to go riding from Boulder with these 2 people and they end up stopping somewhere, have a little bit (not sure how little) to drink and take off to go riding. She said she was doing 80+ and still couldn't keep up. Accident occurred which was deemed as her fault but these two guys were far enough ahead of her that they didn't know she went down and ended up coming back a little later while she was waiting for the ambulance.

All this stuff with wheelies, or stoppies out in traffic, doing 80+ down broadway has got to stop. If you want to ride spirited, choose the right time and place.....along with the right people. Don't take a newbie and endanger them trying to show off you "skills". Theres a reason why I don't ride with these people in the street any longer, but now after this, obviously I won't be associating with them either.

Injuries were not life threatening, road rash on her leg(s).

And I have people asking me why I don't ride in the street anymore?

Umm or not at all?!?
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Call'em out J!

There's a time and place for everything, I ride "spirited" through the canyons, big fuckin' deal. But when you owe it to other's in your group to not ride above thier skill level, then its a different story.

Has anyone else noticed there's been more crashes in the past 2 months than in the previous 2 years here?
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

You said it, we all take chances just being on the bike but when riding in a group, the leaders take on responsibilities for "setting the pace" since some newbies and even veterans will try to keep up.

But yeah, I will still keep it nameless. I am just severely disapointed in one of them, the other, I expected it, but after talking with one of them last week, I expected more from them.

Call'em out J!

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Heres a little chat between me and one of the guys, I will delete his name off of it just too keep a little peace around here, check out the end where he says "I" could have made a difference?!?!?!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I feel sorry for your friend. I hope that she can find a willing experienced tutor to assist her through her cycling learning curve.

I will say this though ----- she had enough control over two issues contributing to the situation:

a) not twist the throttle to make the needle go to the 80 mark

and

b) refrain from putting any ETOH in her system (I assume she did from your account).

These two items on her rider checklist could have been instigated by her and her alone. More experienced riders should lead by example.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

slo1299 (2:30:12 PM):hey man, for july, your welcome to take pat and her group with whatever group you get for a ride, but I wont be joining you guys
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:09:38 PM): why not?
    slo1299 (3:10:29 PM):cuz of the dumb things you all did yesterday drinking and going riding with a newbie, you all are not invited on any rides that im on in the street.
    slo1299 (3:10:37 PM):that was plain stupid
    slo1299 (3:10:42 PM):haulin ass, she coudnt even keep up
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:10:38 PM): i'm mad about it
    slo1299 (3:12:17 PM):well have fun riding with your boulder group, i will not be joining any or you guys rides, and you all wont be joining none of my rides
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:12:38 PM): do you know what happened?
    slo1299 (3:13:18 PM):i know enough to know that you all were doing your usual hauling as
    slo1299 (3:13:19 PM):ass
    slo1299 (3:13:27 PM):you guys couldnt even see her when she went down
    slo1299 (3:13:29 PM):and drinkking?>
    slo1299 (3:13:34 PM):she is a newbie
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:13:19 PM): yes she is.
    slo1299 (3:13:46 PM):dumb mistakes and choices, on her part too
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:14:05 PM): yes last weekend was a bad weekend.
    slo1299 (3:14:57 PM):well have fun man, i had just talked to you last week about riding stupid. I will make sure none of my other friends end up in mishaps around you guys
    slo1299 (3:15:12 PM):one of these days hopefully you guys will learn
    slo1299 (3:15:19 PM):riding with others is different from riding alone
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:15:13 PM): Xname deletedX doesn't have much to lose
    slo1299 (3:15:59 PM):well he can go lose it with his own friends now
    slo1299 (3:16:04 PM):he doesnt belong on a bike
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:15:45 PM): i saw your post about the 3 r6's
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:15:55 PM): stop hating, mistakes happen
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:17:17 PM): not everyone starts off as good as you
    slo1299 (3:18:53 PM):stop hating, mistakes happen?
    slo1299 (3:18:56 PM):take care man
    slo1299 (3:19:05 PM):its not about being good
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:18:44 PM): o i have to now
    slo1299 (3:19:09 PM):i dont consider myself good
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:19:11 PM): and you've never gone on a ride with us anyway. always at IMI
    slo1299 (3:19:48 PM):theres a reason why
    slo1299 (3:20:00 PM):ive already heard about you all riding
    slo1299 (3:20:05 PM):anyways, later man....

Red face Re: Another downed rider....

So she has been looking for others to help her ride.
    i ride fast but with a new rider, its slowville so they get a feel for the bike, roads etc. thats a damn shame, ive told people i ride with in the turns i haul ass but do not ride beyond your capabilities, i will slow down and wait for you to catch up. hell just this sunday i was doing 35mph wating, going to deckers waiting for a new rider to catch up. i want them not to feel like they have to try to keep up, more importantly be comfortable riding.
    She said she was doing 80+ and still couldn't keep up
    a new rider should never feel like they "have" to keep up, imo. Sorry to hear you have a friend down, and a new rider. i hope it hasnt deterred her from continuing to ride when she gets better, from her injuries. plus i have a katana it goes slow as a matter of missing powa.

Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Call'em out J!

There's a time and place for everything, I ride "spirited" through the canyons, big fuckin' deal. But when you owe it to other's in your group to not ride above thier skill level, then its a different story.

Has anyone else noticed there's been more crashes in the past 2 months than in the previous 2 years here?
    David you really drink and ride and think its not a big fuckin' deal?
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

AKA "Devaclis"

^^ Don't think that is what he implied at all Ash
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by AshliRider44 View Post
    No, I know David is very concerned about others safety, I have seen it myself on past rides.

um - i think he meant fast?

Anyways - as a rookie - there have been a few amazing pieces of advice people keep pounding into my head.

1) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ride your own ride. If the people you're with don't ride with you, find new people.

2) Never drink and ride. This should be common sense - it's your life and the pavement.

Bummer about your friend man, hopefully she'll get back up sooner than later!
    First, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. Second, you can watch life with your nose pressed up against the glass. Or you can swing the doors open and step inside.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

J - I am sorry to hear about your friend.. but I hope she does take some responsibility in this as well. Trying to keep up when you know that you're in WAY over your head is definitely the wrong thing to do..... we see what happens. I wish her speedy recovery and hope she learns from this... as well as the other riders who left her behind.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Some of it could be she's a "new rider" and perhaps felt if she "didn't keep up" she would get lost and stuck wherever she was. She hardly has any experience and needs a tutor that will do the things Brat said.

Call'em out J!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    ^^ Don't think that is what he implied at all Ash

Good! I thought you were using the term "spirited" as tipsy or drinking.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Quote Originally Posted by AshliRider44 View Post
    No Ash, there is no place for drinking and riding, I was refering to a "spirited pace", meaning speeding.

So Ash and Dani please give me my balls back!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post

I will say this though ----- she had enough control over two issues contributing to the situation:

a) not twist the throttle to make the needle go to the 80 mark

and

b) refrain from putting any ETOH in her system (I assume she did from your account).

These two items on her rider checklist could have been instigated by her and her alone. More experienced riders should lead by example.
    She is an adult so you are correct, but we all know how "sometimes" no matter what you tell a newbie, they can make bad choices. However in this case, theres no way the mini group leader should just left her behind like that, and the drinking bit, I don't even know what to say for any of the 3 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    No, I know David is very concerned about others safety, I have seen it myself on past rides.

Which is exactly the David I know. Just didnt know what you guys meant by spirited. Doing 80 and wheelies or stopping and getting drinks.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

AKA "Devaclis"

I am sure he did not mean "Spirited" as in drunk. Calm down guys. Read slower. Fuck!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    No Ash, there is no place for drinking and riding, I was refering to a "spirited pace", meaning speeding.

So Ash and Dani please give me my balls back!
    Okay :Returns Balls:
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Way to stand up to those guys. Do you still consider them your friends even though you don't want to ride with them?
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I am sure he did not mean "Spirited" as in drunk. Calm down guys. Read slower. Fuck!

Nobodys excited. Jeez!!

Not that I really think speeding through the canyons and doing wheelies is that smart either
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Call'em out J!