Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another downed rider....

Re: Another downed rider....

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    You'll still ride with me though right?
    I'll still ride with you Big Daddy, just a bit less "spirited."
    The art of Zen is a spiritual journey - why not make it on two wheels.

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Is the female rider who went down active on this board?
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

Not to my knowledge. I got a buddy of hers and talking others into it, since her bike is done, I doubt she is getting back on one.

Not knowing any of the people involved, I have to say I don't believe it was the "two other riders'" fault. That said though, it has nothing to do with who is the newb or who has been riding longer. Every rider has thier own level of abilities and when riding with people of lesser abilities, you kinda take a little responsibility, even if we are all adults. There is ABSOLUTELY no place for drinking and riding, we have enough to keep up with while sober. Leave the drinking to the Harley guys. If I'm on a ride and guys (or girls) start having drinks, I leave. That simple, because I am responsible for me.
    B-King- no longer

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Too many poor choices (yes definitely by her too) in this, all affecting the outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by UpOn1 View Post
    and i can see how you would be pissed and defensive when one of your friends goes down.

I do take my harsh words back, but at the same time i had to retaliate
    Despite Ashli's earlier prediction of a locked topic, it looks like something positive can come out of this thread. It's clear that many poor choices were made by all involved. I'm glad to see that people are making an attempt to see the points of view of the others. Blame is not what's important. What's important is that we can review and learn from mistakes and improve our chances of surviving this risky activity we all love.

Mike, you said that you ride for yourself and I know what you are saying. But we all have to remember that none of us sails through life alone. We are all inextricably intertwined with the lives of others and we have to recognize that. Riding wheelies, doing stoppies, hauling ass are all fun but we owe it to others to do these things at the appropriate time and place and as safely as we can. We are all brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends of others and we owe it to them to reduce the risks of riding as much as possible by constantly learning, practicing, and making smart decisions about how we ride.

I think we can all agree that drinking and driving a vehicle of any kind is just a bad idea. I made a decision a long time ago that my limit was zero drinks when I would be driving or riding. It's just too complex an activity to have even the slightest impairment of my limited CPU power. Yeah, I miss out on some fun on occasion but that bit of fun pales in comparison to the pain I would cause others if I got killed (or killed someone) doing something that could easily have been avoided.

I have come to know Jay by spending time with him at the track. I know that he is a thoughtful, considerate person and a methodical, careful rider (and his quick lap times at IMI show that). I don't believe that he intended to slander anyone (keeping your identities a secret shows that) but he wanted to make a point about overly risky riding. It's not about having balls or not. It's about riding smart and he (and myself among many others on this board) really just wants people to ride smart. None of us want to see our CSC sisters and brothers be the topic of a "rider killed" thread. Have fun but be smart about it. There isn't one single ride that's worth trading all your future rides for.

Dirk
    Last edited by dirkterrell; Tue May 22nd, 2007 at 11:03 AM.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

very well said Dirk
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

AKA "Devaclis"

^^ Yeah! Honda riders kick ass!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Last edited by UpOn1; Thu May 24th, 2007 at 02:05 AM.

damn, this is all around a shitty situation, i have ridden with your friend before. she does need help from competent safe people, maybe she can come back out on the track with us again after she heels
    Knee2Ground Racing

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

When Tobi and i ride, were not as conservetive, which we both agree on and know both of our's limits and capabilities.
    I don't want to sound like a nanny but let me just point out that the "limits" on the street often have more do to with external factors than with one's personal skills limits. Like I said before, have fun but be smart about it. Make sure you leave enough room to deal with that patch of sand or oil that suddenly appears, or the cager that indicates a turn but suddenly decides to change their mind (happened to me yesterday), or a wreck around that blind turn that suddenly presents itself, etc. Don't take this as preaching but as well-intentioned advice from someone who has seen first-hand the destruction that overly aggressive riding can lead to. I don't want to lose any of my IMI riding buddies.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

in a trailer park, wearing a dirty wife beater.

How are they responsible for her getting hit by a car? If there was a sweeper would she have gotten hit? I see your whole be a responsible rider message here but your blaming the wrong person. It's like you blaming me for her going down and I'm in NJ! A little over dramatic.

About 2 months ago I met this girl who lives in Boulder and rides an R6. She was having alot of difficulty with her riding and needed help. I had offered my help with her street riding and also to take her to the track to work on her skills. She agreed to it but then turned it down a few days later, explaining to me that her friend, Jay, told her to not listen to me or anyone else and that she should go to IMI with him. I believe she crashed at IMI that following week. I don't believe that it was a mistake for her to ride with the two riders in question here. However it is her responsibility to ride within her limits, whether alone or in a group. She, nor Jay, should not be blaming anyone for this accident. Just my 2 cents.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Actually I did tell her to come out to IMI many times, even before you met her. But seeing that you have plenty of track experience, I never told her not to listen to you, or not goto the track with you in Peublo or IMI. My last converstation with her was that she was going to Pueblo with you, I also had a buddy there in person that's a member on this board too. You were misinformed.

Even for myself, I am always brain picking for more knowledge from more experienced riders, even from less exxperienced riders. There is no way I would tell anyone not to gain more knowledge from someone who rides far better than me and has been around.

I am not that type of person, and probably almost irritating people always asking for advice.

As her friend, you should recommend that she does not get on a bike again until she straightens out some of her personal issues. Riding takes a huge amount of focus and concentration, which everyone here should realize. I don't believe she can currently focus on her riding and be safe.
    Last edited by UglyDogRacing; Tue May 22nd, 2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: left a word out
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Newbies should try and choose groups of people that they know will wait on them and not exceed their riding abilities... I for one am more than happy to cruise with the newbies! Gives me the chance to enjoy the scenery a little more and I know I won't go down doing 40 in the corners! I am sorry to hear about the crash! Glad noone is seriously injured

I agree Dirk, but as tempting as it is, i really don't ride crazy, with a larger group. The few rides we've been on, i've kept my line and distance. When Tobi and i ride, were not as conservetive, which we both agree on and know both of our's limits and capabilities.
    ARE you forreal with this shit brah you and tobin and that other asshat on the honda right.
    Dawg you guys had me embarressed with you guys I had 4 differant people ask me if you guys where with me and How I knew you. I made a stop in my ride to meet up with you fuck heads. You wont be gettin any invites from me forsure.
    Crowdin me and that guy that wanst even with us in while passin all the jags was bullshit and then all the crazy and unsafe passin shit you guys did is all good if you wanna ride that way by yourself I dont care its your life but damn you makin all rest of us look like shit when you ridin with that many bikes. I got so many of those jags owners lookinat me efed off and flipping me off cause of you fools. AND WTF good lookin out BRAH and waitin for me right after I told I wasnt gonna lead you cause that didnt matter in the first section and you were ridin a little crazy for me and that I would come around you at the bottom to show you where the place was. We wernt even 4 turns in and I went to flip my visor down and it came undone and I had to stop and take off my gloves, my lid,fix the shit and roll. All of the slow group stopped and waited for me so I gave umm a thumbs up and there lead rider lead them off. Did you even wonder what happend to me? Seeing how over half of the way down was raining. Not one of you asked me what happend once we got down there either again good lookin out, You guys seem like you would be real good friends.
    Anyways sorry for the rant. I had a bad feeling something bad was gonna happen with her being with you guys. Thats sucks for her. I learned what I needed to learn from ya. I wouldnt worry about getting any help from me and any of my people.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Everyone deserves a second chance. But, only once.

Last year I had had my Zed for only 2 months. I had put about 3800 miles on it during the summer and was really enjoying riding with small groups and large groups. One ride I took included some really fast riders and some cruisers. I was about in the middle. Actually quite literally, in the middle, cuz the fast guys were a ways ahead of me and I was at least 3 minutes ahead of the fastest cruiser. Then I had my little incident. I target fixated on a ditch and ended up in said ditch.

I was angry with myself, cuz my Zed was brand new, cuz I knew better than to target fixate and I wasn't even going fast. I could have corrected. Lots of things bugged me about that spill, including the fact that no one from the fast group even tried to come back. The first cruiser who saw me down stopped and helped to get the Zed out of the ditch. He then gave it a test ride. Worst part about the dents and dings on the Zed was a cracked pulse cover. I limped home with a guy who had his own spill in another group that day and was on his way back as well. He kept an eye on me.

I had a very hard time forgiving the ride leader...very hard. Just ask him. Funny thing, though, is that now I ride with him and we plan rides together. Yeah, funny. He spent the past several months since my spill being nice, making sure I was ok, telling me he wanted to ride with me at different places (IMI, etc.). He was patient with me, but I finally rode with him again, cuz it really wasn't his fault. I was just not very happy that he didn't send anyone back. Turned out that one of the guys in his fast group also had had a spill further up the road. Now, when I ride alone and he knows about it, he tells me to let him know when I get home.

I certainly hope this thread is a teaching experience and that the guys who had ridden stupid will come back and ride more responsibly in the future. Like I said, everyone deserves a second chance, but only once.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N1KSS1KS1x View Post
    ARE you forreal with this shit brah you and tobin and that other asshat on the honda right.
    Dawg you guys had me embarressed with you guys I had 4 differant people ask me if you guys where with me and How I knew you. I made a stop in my ride to meet up with you fuck heads. You wont be gettin any invites from me forsure.
    Crowdin me and that guy that wanst even with us in while passin all the jags was bullshit and then all the crazy and unsafe passin shit you guys did is all good if you wanna ride that way by yourself I dont care its your life but damn you makin all rest of us look like shit when you ridin with that many bikes. I got so many of those jags owners lookinat me efed off and flipping me off cause of you fools. AND WTF good lookin out BRAH and waitin for me right after I told I wasnt gonna lead you cause that didnt matter in the first section and you were ridin a little crazy for me and that I would come around you at the bottom to show you where the place was. We wernt even 4 turns in and I went to flip my visor down and it came undone and I had to stop and take off my gloves, my lid,fix the shit and roll. All of the slow group stopped and waited for me so I gave umm a thumbs up and there lead rider lead them off. Did you even wonder what happend to me? Seeing how over half of the way down was raining. Not one of you asked me what happend once we got down there either again good lookin out, You guys seem like you would be real good friends.
    Anyways sorry for the rant. I had a bad feeling something bad was gonna happen with her being with you guys. Thats sucks for her. I learned what I needed to learn from ya. I wouldnt worry about getting any help from me and any of my people.
    I've been reading this thread and after digesting this documentation I have to draw the line in the sand and say I will NOT ride with these 's.

What a crew of inconsiderate ass-hats
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Wow that is a shame. I was also with N1KSS1KS1x on this ride and led a group with the female in question. (no names) She was very nice and I'm sad to hear her 6 is done. (is it?)

when you are from wyoming like konichd is, spirited is like watch cows.... welllll you know....

Well i just got done reading this thread and what can i say. Im new to this site so i dont really know anyone on here, but i have been riding for a year or so, so i am still kinda a newb. As alot of the people have said it sucks and i hope she has a speedy recovery, glade it wasnt worse. As a rider ive got to say that u and only u know what u can handle no one has control over u so make better choices. I personaly have decided to never drink while im out riden i think its a no brainer but hey thats just me. So i say make your choices carefully and have fun and hopefully we wont have to hear about any more accidents like this one.

I personaly have decided to never drink while im out riden i think its a no brainer but hey thats just me. So i say make your choices carefully and have fun and hopefully we wont have to hear about any more accidents like this one.[/quote]

I drink when I'm ridin' dirty... is that ok?

I want to take space on this thread to thank JustSomeDUde for slowing down on the ride last weekend to make sure I was still upright. I was going at my own pace on a road that I havent been on (up by squaw pass). Road was pretty bumpy and I'm still a little nervous with the new bike. Thanks for the comradery!

Now lets all cross our fingers that the weather clears up by this weekend!