Quote Originally Posted by towneh View Post
--all --
imo there is more of an attitude of share with highway resources in the state of CA. there is give and flex amongst drivers on the West coast whereas the East and Plain states exhibit their territorial rights in the driving habits they use. My Hayabago with the CO plates was given lots a space at several Mex and Can crossings and all of the Ca interstates. expect a ticket in any other state.....
very smooth
bus_henry
Gotta disagree here. Splitting lanes in CA I had cars on an almost daily basis, see me moving up trough traffic, and purposely move their car over onto the lane lines to prevent me from splitting on a freeway or up to the front at a red light.

In CA, you're only supossed to go 15 mph or less faster than traffic is moving. Unfortunately, many squids blow down between lanes at high speed, freaking out cage drivers, and generally making people hate the splitters.

On the other hand, I had many guys in trucks move over a bit in their lane when they saw me, so I could get by their mirrors. My guess is that these guys are riders themselves or wish they were.

IMO lane splitting is a great time saver. My commute from Newport Beach to Riverside could easily be 2 -2.5 hours in the cage (with an $5-9 toll road short cut), on the bike it was maybe 1.5 hours (with free tolls, depending on the route). Difference is, when I got home I was exhausted. Splitting lanes takes 150% concentration if you dont want to get squished.