Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Fricken awesome!

Re: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Who's going?

must... get... painkillers...

Thanks everyone for such an awesome weekend of riding. If you ever wanna do a day ride, hit me up.

Now I need to go find me knees, arse, and wrists.

Ciao!

PrillerGrrl
    Last edited by PrillerGrrl; Sun Jul 1st, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
    ApriliaFalcoSL1000 - SOLD!
    2007 CBR600RR - Lawnmower on crack.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Speaking of that dinner...anyone have any memorable quotes they wanna share?

Here's one: "I'll have a Jack n Coke. Oh, and since I'm on a diet, make that a diet Coke."
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

"It's okay, honey.. there was some rubber between her and I"

PG
    ApriliaFalcoSL1000 - SOLD!
    2007 CBR600RR - Lawnmower on crack.

heh, bad picture!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

OK....

Home safe and sound....start mileage was 12970, finish was 14093, for a grand total of 1123 for me. Now before Cathy starts jumping all up and down over my electrical malfunction, I'll have to say that the last part of this trip didn't go quite as planned for me. I had split up some gear with someone else on the trip and we didn't do a great job of communicating how and when the gear was going to get returned. End result? My keys were in my tankbag that was on another person's bike. I ended up riding a few extra miles so that I could get back into my house tonight....and can you say wind? The wind on 25 during the ride between Denver and Miklin' (ha!) was feirce.

More later, my nice comfy mattress beckons!

s

p.s. Anyone want to ride motorcycles?

Re: 1st (annual?) SoWeCo Ride - June 30/July 1 - Fricken awesome!

The wind?!!!

Holy freaking cow!!! Holy, blow me over, Batman! I almost forgot.

So, yeah, I met up with that freak windstorm. One gust just about took my bike out from under me...literally! I was cruisin' along, hugging my tank cuz of the wind and a gust came up, blowing me almost into the grass median and almost taking my bike out from under me. I've been tossed around before cuz of wind, but not like that. Don't know how I saved it, but yeah, that was a "wake me up".

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Thanks everyone for going, I had a great time! This will definitely need to be an annual thing. Glad to hear everyone made it back OK, I clocked 923 on my bike. All in all, the DR wasn't the fastest bike in the pack, but I actually was pretty comfortable - so much that I even took it back out after I got home to go watch the Glendale fireworks. Corbin = , and the Throttle Rocker = once it's adjusted. Windscreen helped a lot but made more noise in the lid, so I will need to mess with that. iPod was good, earbuds were not so good. I had to put up with the wind noise to get music, but oh well.

Many memories from the weekend, and way too many good quotes. But first, sleep. I was reasonably awake a little while ago, but just kind of hit the point where I need to go be unconscious now.

I'm glad things went so well this weekend! You all were great to ride with.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

"Can I get 3 Diet Coke's?" I must say desert was awesome with a side of sopapilla! That's some good bee shitt!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

You can't quote this:

• Jeep full of party down Blond Bimbos

• 400 pound biker on the sparklin Harley with the doo rag headgear
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    You can't quote this:

• Jeep full of party down Blond Bimbos
    Sure you can "Girls just wanna have fun...."

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    heh, bad picture!
    Naw...good picture, good pic!

Here's s'more.

BTW, Jeff, good job on picking all those restaurants. Talk about unique lil places. What was the name of the first one on Saturday when we stopped for lunch? Does anyone remember their celebrity name? I was Heather Graham.

Not much seating to be found, but the company made up for it...

Dinner was pretty good, too. I've had good salads and bad salads before, but the one I had at Francisco's in Durango ranks up there with the good.

I dunno, but I think the day long of riding and a lil and everything came out waaaay funny at dinnertime...

Everyone should try breakfast at the Cow Palace in Silverton. You can even leave your rendition of cowdom on a napkin, which will then be proudly displayed over the order counter.

Hmmm...d'ya think maybe a lil intervention kept us all upright on this ride?

While it wasn't the most luxurious of accommodations, it was a roof over our heads and something to sleep on, and was enough to leave an impression...The Iron Horse Inn of Durango...

Gotcha! No, I got you!

I can't talk right now, I'm eating! Sheesh! Catch me when I'm at my best. D'oh...too late...

Guess where this is?

All lined up and everywhere to go...

Just wanna emphasize my fave quote right now, cuz it certainly fits the time spent during this past weekend. Again, thanks guys!..."A large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything". — Laurence Sterne

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Glad to hear you all had a safe run.
    Definitely looks like you guys had a ball.
    I'm officially jealous.

Cathy,
    Sorry I didn't hook up with you guys for the ride out of town.
    On the way home Friday the Triumph started overheating.
    Took care of it but didn't quit trust it for a long run till I got a couple short runs in on it.

BTW,
    Next time in Durango try a place call Sweeney's Grubsteak.
    (North side of town just off 550)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Naw...good picture, good pic!

Here's s'more.

BTW, Jeff, good job on picking all those restaurants. Talk about unique lil places. What was the name of the first one on Saturday when we stopped for lunch? Does anyone remember their celebrity name? I was Heather Graham.

Not much seating to be found, but the company made up for it...

Dinner was pretty good, too. I've had good salads and bad salads before, but the one I had at Francisco's in Durango ranks up there with the good.

I dunno, but I think the day long of riding and a lil and everything came out waaaay funny at dinnertime...

Everyone should try breakfast at the Cow Palace in Silverton. You can even leave your rendition of cowdom on a napkin, which will then be proudly displayed over the order counter.

Hmmm...d'ya think maybe a lil intervention kept us all upright on this ride?
    The walk-up hamburger joint in BV is called 'K's". I was Louis Armstrong
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Soon ................................. very soon

Site Admin

Don't forget these...

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    Don't forget these...
    Good! And it's in a LARGE SACK

Your favorites twisties and favorite scenic roads?

Here's a couple of reminders of the routes we took...

twisties:

Hwy 67 - between Littleton and Woodland Park
    Hwy 50 - Monarch Pass
    Hwy 149 - between Lake City and South Fork along the Rio Grande River
    Hwy 160 - Wolf Creek Pass
    Hwy 550 - between Durango and Ouray
    Hwy 92 - North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

I'm having a hard time chosing between the nice long sweeping curves of Wolf Creek Pass and the North Rim ride. Right now, because the construction is complete on Wolf Creek and because we didn't have a whole lot of traffic and because the time of day we were up there and the lack of sun beating down on us, I'm gonna have to say that Wolf Creek was my fave. The North Rim, with its many tight twists still ranks up there, oh and the lack of traffic was an added bonus as well, but I seemed to be a tad more shakey on that run than on Wolf Creek.

scenery:

Same as above, but I'm gonna include the road between Pagosa Springs and Durango as well, because for me, depending on the time of day, the scenery on that road still makes me glad I live in this state.

As far as scenery is concerned, like I said, depending on time of day, the clarity of the sky and the addition of some really poofy clouds and you've got the makings of some awesome of photos.

Early mornings in Durango, when the sun is rising and hitting the tops of the mountainsides along with the addition of the oranges and reds of the rocks and I can stare and be happy for a bit. The Million Dollar Highway/San Juan Scenic Byway going down into Ouray really does remind me of the Swiss Alps, and not just cuz the sign coming into Ouray says "Little Switzerland". The Black Canyon of the Gunnison also ranks up there with its massive Aspen groves and steep drops along the black rocks of the canyon walls down to the Gunnison River below. I'm glad the pine beetles have not gotten as far south as that part of Colorado, cuz I don't think the scenery would have struck me as much as it did. Wolf Creek Pass was also amazing as far as scenery is concerned. I'm glad we were there during the latter part of the day, because the rain clouds had been by, cooling the temp just a bit and also because the size of those clouds made for some pretty backdrops.

I dunno, I guess I'm just a bit into the nature stuff, but I don't think we could have picked a better time or been down in those parts of Colorado at a better time. Of course, in the end, it's all subjective anyways.

I'd have to say that Wolf Creek was the best because of the triple digit sweepers(did I say that out loud?). Monarch was a close second both times, but I believe we hit it a lot faster coming back home...the popo didn't seem to mind us going just a little fast

My ride from Montrose back over Cierro Summit and Monarch was spectacular (considering). I hit all of the great twisties sans traffic. I think I passed only three vehicles on the eastbound side of Monarch . I then hit Leadville and Fremont Pass to Eisenhower Tunnel. I 70 sucked at US 40 as usual

It is really good to know that:

10 riders = 0 tickets + 0 crashes / 1000 + miles

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Good! And it's in a LARGE SACK
    But are they salty?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Wow, I don't know how you guys got the energy to post up after the ride. I got home and crashed for 11 hours. I've never ridden that many miles in the heat. It sure takes alot out of you and talk about a chafed ass. This won't happen again because my Anti Monkey Butt powder is on its way.

Toward the end, even though I wanted to say NO, this quote got me home.
    "Anyone want to ride motorcycles?"

This quote gave me sight. Thanks
    "Whose got bugs?"

Just a few pics.
    First stop, I think.?
    Attachment 4562
    Don't let Scott tell you he doesn't put a knee down in the street.
    Attachment 4564
    I think you got me first.
    Attachment 4565
    This isn't Disney Land?
    Attachment 4568

And the man who started it all... I guess we may never know who that is.
    Attachment 4567

Thank you all, I had a great time! I'm already looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by noskills; Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 at 09:40 PM.

Go team power ranger!

I've had it ..................................... I'm going back

in August