Thread: Sad to see, but that is reality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Sad to see, but that is reality

I started riding BECAUSE of the gas prices. I only have to go 7 miles to work each way, and against traffic. The bike saves me so much money on gas, that it pays for itself. But after riding for a couple months, there's nothing more enjoyable than jumping on the bike and just riding. I sometimes wish my drive to work were a bit longer. It makes me want to get up in the morning for that crisp, cool, beautiful ride to work, like this morning.

Now, I'll admit that It's only been a couple months, but I've already got 2500 miles on my bike, and I bet I'll have another 2500 before I put it away for winter. I plan to upgrade the bike next year, now that I'm more comfortable, but honestly, I enjoy riding to work, saving gas, and I can even say I save the environment.

I don't have any kids, but if I were to die while riding my bike, I could say I died doing what I enjoy. It freaks me out every time I ride, because I swear I almost get hit once every day. The biggest question on my mind is always "what if..." what if that car pulled out right now? What if the light turned yellow right now? I do my best to pay attention, but I enjoy riding too much to give it up for safety reasons. I'm just as likely to slip in the shower and crack my head open.

I crashed a small plane on takeoff once, but I still fly...
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    I started riding BECAUSE of the gas prices. I only have to go 7 miles to work each way, and against traffic. The bike saves me so much money on gas, that it pays for itself. But after riding for a couple months, there's nothing more enjoyable than jumping on the bike and just riding. I sometimes wish my drive to work were a bit longer. It makes me want to get up in the morning for that crisp, cool, beautiful ride to work, like this morning.

Now, I'll admit that It's only been a couple months, but I've already got 2500 miles on my bike, and I bet I'll have another 2500 before I put it away for winter. I plan to upgrade the bike next year, now that I'm more comfortable, but honestly, I enjoy riding to work, saving gas, and I can even say I save the environment.

I don't have any kids, but if I were to die while riding my bike, I could say I died doing what I enjoy. It freaks me out every time I ride, because I swear I almost get hit once every day. The biggest question on my mind is always "what if..." what if that car pulled out right now? What if the light turned yellow right now? I do my best to pay attention, but I enjoy riding too much to give it up for safety reasons. I'm just as likely to slip in the shower and crack my head open.

I crashed a small plane on takeoff once, but I still fly...
    Don Gunn, at T3RG, teaches a pretty darn good class about street riding. It is mostly taken from the motor officer's course--as taught to the MC cops. A good portion of the course deals with how to handle traffic.

http://www.t3rg.com/Classes.html#Precision

Professional Rider Training
    Taught by retired police motorcycle officer trainers Two days, 16 hours, $650
    This is a demanding course designed by former police motorcycle patrol trainers to teach riders how to get the most from your motorcycle. You will learn many of the life saving maneuvers used by police officers such as evasive braking methods and traffic avoidance techniques. Add skills to your riding repertoire that are used by professional motorcycle patrol officers.
    • If you can’t turn around in a small area and look good doing it…you may be ready for this course.
    • If riding near other vehicles and motorcycles makes you nervous…you may be ready for this course.
    • If maneuvering in tight spots means losing control…you may be ready for this course. Never be intimidated in a parking lot again. .
    • If you are ready to get the best out of your motorcycling experience…you may be ready for this course…and it is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle, legally!
    You will learn precision exercises that will vastly improve your riding skills at both low and high speeds. After completing the riding sessions you will have dramatically improved your balance and coordination on a motorcycle. Your ability to ride on the street will vastly improve after being taught many of the high speed evasive maneuvers required of professionals. Your braking skills will be refined in the course. Every exercise you learn is critical in real life riding situations that include danger, from the pressure of highway traffic to the menace of drivers who ‘just don’t see motorcycles’ on the road.
    You will leave with a much better understanding of your limits as a rider, so that you will be able to continue to practice the skills you need to improve upon for years to come. This course is ideal for riders who recognize the value of lifelong learning as a motorcycle enthusiast.
    Prior to this session, you must be able to complete a figure 8 and make slow turns. It is recommended, but not necessary, that you have completed the Basic Rider Course. You must have a valid Motorcycle Endorsement on your driver’s license. The class is taught on training bikes.
    Your riding will be evaluated prior to beginning the course. Instructor reserve the right to make all final decisions About who is accepted into the course.
    Schedule
    Part One: Riding evaluation on your motorcycle- 7am-9am. You must pass this pre-course evaluation before admittance to the class. If you pass this portion of the course, you will be allowed to continue. If you do not pass, you will not be allowed to participate in the course and you will be charged $150 for the evaluation report, which will outline the areas that you need to improve before taking the course.
    Part Two: Day 1 riding exercises- 9:30am-6:00 (ish)pm
    Part Three: Day 2 riding exercises and graduation- 7:00am-4:00pm
    Town Center at Aurora, 14200 E Alameda Ave, Aurora, 80012
    Fee
    $650, includes a $30 insurance fee
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    Now, I'll admit that It's only been a couple months, but I've already got 2500 miles on my bike, and I bet I'll have another 2500 before I put it away for winter.
    Don't put it away, ride, ride, ride..... Get some cold weather gear and ride. I commute 60 miles round trip daily, and winter before last (what a fu*ker LAST winter was!), I drove a cage a grand total of 11 days...yeah, it's a little chilly at times, but damn, it makes you feel alive like nothing else. I almost went friggin postal last year, between the short daylight and the not being able to ride. I even marked it on the calendar, for the day I was gonna go berserk.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"