Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ride: Sunday Sept 16th, 2007 to the northwest western slope

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Re: Ride: Sunday Sept 16th, 2007 to the northwest western slope

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    125 on the way back. Outbound will be Independence Pass (many miles to run-so no puttin' around on the local stuff), Paonia, north outa there to Dinosaur, tires on the border with Utah, then back across the northern tier.

Unless somebody ripped out the pavement, this will be all solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I do believe I'm in. Just for curiosity's sake, I looked out a good route. 451 miles for me round-trip from Loveland. I'll send it to ya via e-mail, and see what you think.
    You people better start earlier than 08:30 to do this route as quoted by pilot.

Cycle Monkey, better add 400 miles to your calculations.

Mapquest says 788 miles and change.

* Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Very Interested in going...need to weigh out my soccer game at 1:00 as my kiddos are with their mom this weekend and my day is open except for my game smack in the middle. What is the realistic route as miles seem to be added one each thread (map?)
    Last edited by atrainthornton; Fri Sep 14th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    You people better start earlier than 08:30 to do this route as quoted by pilot.

Cycle Monkey, better add 400 miles to your calculations.

Mapquest says 788 miles and change.

Guess I wasn't sure. Ummm, 800 miles is probably a little much if I've got to go to work the next day. That's a dawn-till-dusk deal there.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I've got work off so I am definitely in! Another nice long ride sounds like a lot of fun!

No law says one has to ride the full route. Sunday evenings the traffic is really light past 6. Heck When we rode over Squaw Pass (Mt. Evans) two nights ago we only passed two cars. Of course that was at midnight. Man, I'm starting to like night rides. 6 point buck on the Bergan Park side, too.

Frank, you can recover in your chair at your desk, ha.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I don't think I want to go to the Utah border, I can't be gone that long. I'll ride with you guys till aspen. Then I think I'm going to come back down independence pass and take 24 west to 67 north.
    How do you know where the line is if you don't cross it now and then?

Deal's Gap Pics
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/viewalbum.aspx?a=387831

I'd like to go... but cannot be gone that long either. I'll probably peel off with ChickenS or whoever at some point. Let me know if anyone else has to make it a shorter trip and where you'll be turning back.
    --- Jack

Don't ever confuse having a career with having a life.

Roll out.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Roll out.
    Yo Pilot. Hope the ride went well. Hope you were able to "represent" for the ZZR crowd.
    Gummibear
    ZZR1200 "Succubus"

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen all at once.

Hey there Kyle!

It was one hell of a ride!

Rider Workshop-USA

Good ride you guys! You guys missed out on the fun 27 miles of slick mud though! How was the rest of the ride?

I got rained on all the way on I70 until the tunnel. Nevertheless I had a great time riding with you guys. Thanks for letting me tag along.
    Last edited by ChickenStrip; Thu Nov 1st, 2007 at 10:47 PM.

Deal's Gap Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Good ride you guys! You guys missed out on the fun 27 miles of slick mud though! How was the rest of the ride?
    We gotta admit, we were wondering how your off-road adventure went. Terra and Frenchy said you owned them on the way back through the sprinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenStrip View Post
    I got rained on all the way on I70 until the tunnel. Netherless I had a great time riding with you guys thanks for letting me tag along.
    Glad to ride with you Brian. The real fun started later that night.

Rider Workshop-USA

What did I miss?

Deal's Gap Pics

65 through Grand Mesa!
    Oh, that and a hurricane.

Rider Workshop-USA

I cant beleive that you guys would have all that fun without me!

Deal's Gap Pics

We... are @-holes, ha.

Rider Workshop-USA

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Glad you guys had "fun", and everybody came out ok. We got hailed on in Grand Lake, then abso-fucking-lutely-DRENCHED from Granby over Berthoud pass. Soaked thru to the skin, then 60mph over Berthoud at 38deg?!?! Can you say "flash-frozen"? Then sprinkled on lightly all the way home. My gear is still airing out.....

"Slight chance of showers" my ass...... Goddamn global cooling.....
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

We gotta admit, we were wondering how your off-road adventure went. Terra and Frenchy said you owned them on the way back through the sprinkles.

Oh there was definitely no ownage going on. Those guys were flying through there. What time did you guys roll into Denver? I was at my house around eleven.

Warren,
    Did you go on the ride to Utah or were you on a different ride?

I was on the ride most of the way to Utah. We gotta ride soon it is always good to ride with another FZ1

Patrick,

Our plan was to make it all the way through and we even discussed continuing on. However, we knew the weather (not whether) was coming in. And boy did it come in fast. We made it as far west as Grand Junction. This was by far the best ride of the year.

I'm going to post up some pics of the ride along with a narrative.

Rider Workshop-USA

Total distance ~= 510 miles from MoCo to Leadville to Indy Pass to Snowmass to Paonia to Skyway (state 65) to I-70 back to MoCo. Total time including all stops was 13-15 hours (depending upon rider).

Also, I would like to extend my apology to the riders who started out with us in the morning and things got a bit off track.
    • I had neglected to mention that we needed to make a quick stop by the Empire exit to meet up with Warren. Warren later found the crew at the Climax Conoco.
    • That, above, is why I pulled over at Georgetown and Terra went back to look for him.
    • The stop at Silverthorne was unscheduled but needed by a rider and I had to get back on the interstate to spot Terra when he rode by--which he did and then I had to catch up to him.
    • Terra and I waited by exit 203 and saw you all passing by. We thought that you were continuing on and we would fast catch up. I hear that you turned off at before the Copper exit and headed south on another route. We thought you were going on to Leadville, on the scheduled route, and rode quickly to find you.
    • We waited in Climax, at the Conoco, this is where Frenchy, Warren and Chicken Strip caught up.
    Again, sorry things got messed up at the beginning. However, the weather would have put most riders in a hotel for the night. This was by far the most intense ride (weather) I have been on, and the best (roads combined with riders and views).
    Last edited by pilot; Tue Sep 18th, 2007 at 11:20 AM.

Rider Workshop-USA