Pilot - I consider you an authoritative source on most things, so I might have missed something in thread above, but this quote isn't always true:

Unknown to most folks: Waterproof gloves have a liner made out of the same material that a plastic sandwich bag is made of. If you want to know how your hands will feel after wearing "waterproof" gloves feel; just put on a pair of thin glove liners and put your hands in a pair of Ziplock bags for about 15 minutes. Oooo, icky.
You are correct on low-end "waterproof" crap- they just seal it up from air, water, etc.; but almost anything with Gore-tex will keep you dry without the Ziplock feeling. In fact, that is one of the tests that the Gore-tex rep's would show us when I used to sell the stuff. You'd put one hand in a plastic bag and the other in a gore-tex glove liner. The plastic bag hand would be sweaty within a few minutes, but the Gore tex hand would be dry. I don't sell the stuff anymore, but I still swear by it. I have Gore-tex shoes, boots, snowpants, ski jacket, ski gloves, etc. and I think the stuff is fantastic.

Bottom line: Gore-tex lined gloves will keep you dry without the sweaty hand side effects.