Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brake pads... Confusion...

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Re: Brake pads... Confusion...

Stupid race fluid!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

EBC HH Pads...are the bomb...don't let anyone tell you any different !! period !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    If on your 3rd concecutive track day, you had ben abusing the brakes (as track days do) you could have over heated the brakes repeatedly causing the fluid to boil, if you drag your brakes you may have glazed them over. A squishy lever is not the pads (as previously stated), so if you are calling the soft lever condition fade then the pads are not the culprit.
    I think you need to change your statement to "Insert name here brake fluid is the worst fucking shit you could use on your bike."
    Not to mention, EBC has won more MRA and AMA class championships than all other brands combined. I think perhaps DK's issues are related to pad choice and application, rather than the pads being inherently bad. The standard HH street pad is designed to work well cold, offer consistent high performance under STREET conditions, and last well. It may well be asking a little much to expect it to perform under what are essentially endurance racing conditions. A better choice for the dedicated track rider would be the EBC Race Kit pads, which are compounded for maximum performance un racing conditions. Put another way, a 9 iron may well be the "worst fucking golf club ever" if what is called for is a putter!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

So ebc race kit pads and have my rotors blasted and i should be good to go? I gotta alot shit to buy for next session can I getaway with running the stock lines? I had a little bit of lever fad during the summer at pmp but bleeding fixed it. I did notice that the fronts look glazed after i came in from a session on the 17th. I'm running the stock pads. The rotors were almost purple lookin. I had no problems with umm though allday. I was braking preety efing hard going into 1 and 9.
    I've heard that changing the lines makes a huge differance in feel and the brakes perform much better. Is this true from what you guys have experanced? What about rotors at what point are the stockers not good enough. This is my first bike and I've never ridin a bike with anything but stock stuff.
    I know this is a pad thread but I'm curious as what guys think of this and didnt want start a new thread for it.
    Last edited by N1KSS1KS1x; Wed Nov 21st, 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Oh, and we put them on #112 and they seemed to work just fine for several rides. Well, at least good enough to help move up into 2nd in the NGTU standings.
    Actually this is untrue...

In a pinch, you had picked up a set of EBC HH pads for my race bike from GPM, however they accidentally gave us the wrong pads... Simple matter of looking it up in the application chart and using the part number from the line above...

After we realized that, I put the stock Kawasaki pads back on as they weren't totally toast yet, just a little glazed and enough to finish out the remaining day's races...

From there, Faster got in a set of Ferodo Racing pads (FDB2220CP211) in time for my next race... Thank goodness, because the last race toasted my stock pads, as evidenced when I tried to late brake for turn #9 (overtaking two other racers in the last lap) and overshot the turn leading to a white knuckle moment of almost eating a face full of dirt...

After cleaning the rotors with a rotary stone/hone, and seated in the pads, the braking was phenomenal! One thing about Kawasaki, is that their stock pads, rotors, and braking system is already top notch, but I do notice a slight bit of fade in the last couple laps... Once the Ferodo's went on, the fade went away and they were consistent race after race... I also appreciated that they seat in really quick, requiring only 3 to 4 laps of progressive application before they are race ready...

On the topic of EBC HH brakes, I did try them on my ZX-10R - going through the same ritual of stone cleaning the rotors and taking the time to properly seat them... Needless to say, I replaced them with stock Kawasaki pads about 200 miles later because they sounded like they were chewing up my rotor... Yes, I triple checked that they were installed correctly... When I took them off, they were glazed and my rotors were scored a little bit... Once again, I went through the ritual of cleaning and replacing with Kawi stock pads... I've now got 2000+ miles on the new pads, and the rotors look great and the pads are not glazed...

Anyhow, that is my 2 cents of experience - take it for what you will...

--
    Terra
    Last edited by Terra; Thu Nov 22nd, 2007 at 12:16 AM.
    >>>He who dies with the most toys is still dead.<<<
    Black 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R
    Black 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (MRA #112)
    Blue 2006 Yamaha WR450F
    Black 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC (URD SuperCharged)
    Black 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX
    White 2002 Horton "The Wedge" 16' trailer