Thread: Tires (or Tyres) questions...

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Tires (or Tyres) questions...

I am in need of a new rear tire and I was thinking about 180 instead of my 190 but I am not finalized on that. However, I am seriously thinking about getting a sport touring tire instead of the dunlap tire that is on there now. I am wondering if it will last longer and without loss of performance? Tell me what you have noticed about it if you know.
    Thanks.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Re: Tires (or Tyres) questions...

I've got a Pirelli Strada on the back of the ZRX12. Seems to work great.

And a 180/55 will turn in a bit better than a 190/50... Regular crap.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Thats what I hear. I am not really interested in loosing the big tire look though.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I like the Avon sport touring cuz they grip no matter what time of year. The wear on them is about 8k miles and performance is not lacking until I get new ones.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...n-storm-st.htm
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Sun Feb 17th, 2008 at 01:55 PM.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I've been pretty happy with my bridgestone bt 21 on the front of my bike and the bt20 on the rear is alright too. I got about 7000 miles out of my first rear tire and the front only needed to be replaced at that time because it was really cupped (it seems that running a little more pressure has helped that). I still liked my qualifiers better, but for the winter time the sport touring tires are a nice compromise.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

My VFR came with the Bridgestone BT020's that Warren mentioned. Looks like I'll also get about 7000 miles out of the rear one. It is the first oem tire that I have been satisfied with. You might want to look at one of the dual compound sport-touring tires like the BT021 or the Michelin Pilot Road 2. I'm going to give the latter a try on the VFR this year.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson