Thread: Blue Ridge Speeders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Blue Ridge Speeders

Thats pretty crazy, 1 death every other day. Sounds like a bunch of squids!

Quote Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
    That’s pretty crazy, 1 death every other day. Sounds like a bunch of squids!

it was one crash every other day... only a handful of fatalities. there is no mention of the number of accidents that were caused by the rider vs. the driver.

having been born and raised in GA, i've ridden deals gap/dragons tail numerous times. the most dangerous part about that road actually is the tractor trailers that pass through.

yet no story about that huh???

it's completely asinine that they would even run this story. yeah, you have a few bad apples out there that don't know how to ride and don't wear proper gear. inevitably, these are the guys trying to exceed their limits and the ones who typically cross double yellow and low/high side.

in regards to slamming head on into cars, i actually knew a guy that did this and survived. guess what, the car was the one that crossed double yellow and he hit the car. he was treated like the bad guy though b/c he was exceeding the speed limit (not by much and which isn't hard on a road like that by bike or car).

i fully understand the need for safety, proper gear, non-excessive speeds, etc, but people also need to understand that people travel from miles around to ride that one particular stretch of road as a hobby/passion. seriously, how hard is it to let someone pass when using mirrors properly? why sit there and bitch about bikes on your ass and bitch about them passing you when you can simply pull slightly to the right and wave them by? i LOVE motorcycling and love driving as well. when i'm on a road like deals gap or any of the canyon roads here in CO i am constantly watching my mirrors for faster riders/drivers. it is absolutely no problem for me to let them pass and i actually enjoy it when in a car. i get a kick out of watching a fellow motorcyclist go by and enjoy a corner properly.

it's funny, in that video there is a clip of a woman calling in to "report sum bad drivin' by dem' sportbikers"... not to stereotype, but she is the exact type of bitch that would be driving at 24 mph in a ford expedition talking on the phone swerving, weaving, crossing double yellow and making it impossible to pass safely.

sorry to ramble on about this, but having lived/ridden in the southeast and denver and comparing that to riding the roads in CA, it is NO comparison. there was a road in san diego called palomar mountain that drivers knew to get out of the way of bikers. there were a few accidents here and there, but far fewer than what is presented in the video of deals gap.

anyway, i'm done talking about this... i just hate people that bitch about stuff when all they have to do is get out of the way. can you tell that i can't stand incompetent drivers?

geez!

ps... i don't even own a street bike anymore b/c of all of this. see anyone at the track on sunday???

d_mob, you summed up what I would have said. Coming from FL and being to that area of NC/TN I can say that you hit the nail on the head. Though, by far the WORST drivers I've dealt with were the GA drivers.
    "I busted the Star Trek Enterprise's ass from a warp 6 roll.. had about 10 lightyears on it when i got out of it. Captain Picard still talks **** though... says he needs some dyno time."

Oh, as for the numbers that wreck there. Consider how many travel there just for the area. That area thrives on motorcyclists and the number that travel there. I find it interesting how store owners along those areas don't put much thought into how much business they get from the motorcyclists. As they say though. A few bad apples spoil the bunch.
    "I busted the Star Trek Enterprise's ass from a warp 6 roll.. had about 10 lightyears on it when i got out of it. Captain Picard still talks **** though... says he needs some dyno time."