Thread: oil leak

oil leak

I am brand new to bikes, so I do not know the name of most the parts that are not on a car. Anyways I recently laid down my bike while taking it off of my porch, which sucks because that was the very first time I have ever been on it besides just sitting. Anyways I was using my feet to go backwards down the board I set up since my porch is like a foot off the ground. Anyways ramp slipped and the bike went with it and fell on its side. It is now leaking small amounts of oil from whatever the large bolt looking thing in the center of the handle bars. What do I need to do to fix this? It barely leaks but I dont want to have to change the oil in my forks or wherever the oil is coming from

Re: oil leak

Also another question. I have a two thin tubes that does not connect to anything one is right by my rear tire and the other barely sticks out of my rear tail. Both have dripped only a few drops of green fluid but are these supposed to be connected to anything?

One is your fuel overflow the other is you coolant overflow...They are suppose to be there.

As for the oil, sounds like your forks. maybe you busted the seals when you dropped it. Have it checked because it will suck to not have oil pressure in an emergency braking situation. Have it checked, pray it is not a crack or it's big bucks time
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    One is your fuel overflow the other is you coolant overflow...They are suppose to be there.

As for the oil, sounds like your forks. maybe you busted the seals when you dropped it. Have it checked because it will suck to not have oil pressure in an emergency braking situation. Have it checked, pray it is not a crack or it's big bucks time
    Thanks

And for reference to what I am talking about between the forks I put a red square around the part I mean in this picture

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...nt=zx6r1-1.jpg

yeah thats your steering head that your triple tree goes through. There is no oil in there so it must be your forks. Is there oil leaking down the sides of your forks? Or traces of it?

I didnt see any coming out of the actual forks. Could it be possible that it came from the ball bearing inside of the steering stem? It may be leaking from the forks I will have to check again this weekend when I am in Aurora since that is where the bike is.

If it is very very light leak it might be the bushings inside the steering head but if it was substantial it was the forks.

It was pretty light amount, but it will have sat for a week once I go back down this weekend so if it has leaked much at all I will bring it to vickery motorsports to have them check it out. Hopefully I dont have to change the fork seals, heard they are a pain to change

Bring the bike into Faster Motosports if you want someone to take a look at it, and help with the fork seals. If you are not familar with bike repair, you might only end up making it cost more in the long run.

303-825-0975 Tell them Casey sent you.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Bring the bike into Faster Motosports if you want someone to take a look at it, and help with the fork seals. If you are not familar with bike repair, you might only end up making it cost more in the long run.

303-825-0975 Tell them Casey sent you.
    Is that in Aurora?

No, in Denver. They are located near I-25 and 8th avenue.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    No, in Denver. They are located near I-25 and 8th avenue.
    O alright, I wont be able to ride that far for a little while, only rode around the block 2 times then it started snowing a ton. Sucks to just buy a bike and never get to ride. But thanks I will give them a call.