Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
If memory serves, the 01-ish models of GSXR's had the problem with the shifter star bolt backing out and touching the backside of the clutch basket. The symptoms you describe sound suspiciously like this is the cause. It's a pretty easy fix if you have the proper tools - being an impact wrench and a socket to fit the nut that holds the basket, which I think is a 36mm (Jim?).

You'll have to pull the cover and the clutch pack and basket. The shifter star, and the bolt that holds it in are in the lower left and are pretty obvious. If the bolt is loose, pull it out and clean it and the hole with brake clean, and put some red lock-tite on the bolt before re-installing. "Snug" (20-ish lb-ft) is plenty, then re-assemble everything else. If you lean the bike a bit towards the left side, you can do all this w/o losing any of your new oil.
Ah I completely forgot about that on the 01's and I had to tighten mine back down.

Found a link on how to replace it, so just tightening would be similiar http://books.google.com/books?id=kFg...l=en#PPA222,M1