Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racers crash at Hastings!

Racers crash at Hastings!

In a nice comfy bed after a good day's racing.

Hey riders, how about some overall racing info? What do we gotta do conact ABC?
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Racers crash at Hastings!

Lots of good racing but too many crashes. I have some pictures and video that I'll post when I get back.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

+1, so many crashes...... was scary watching on the sidelines and seeing them go down right in front of you, also even more scarier was seeing the red flag go up, ambulance going out onto the track, then trying to figure out where all your friends were.

Had a guy on my first race highside right to the left on me in turn 1 while going in 4-5 wide......That was a severe pucker moment for me.

but It was hella fun besides all the crashs

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Turn 13 was something, it almost bit me!
    Great track, nice and smooth!
    MRA #731
    O7 R1

Quote Originally Posted by 2Blue View Post
    Turn 13 was something, it almost bit me!
    Great track, nice and smooth!
    Damn Curtis, for a new sportbike rider coming from Harley's you are hella impressive. Glad you saved it on that turn, I was nervous for you haha....

there were a bunch of crashes for sure! but was a great weekend!
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Yea....lots of get offs...but a good weekend. I have never seen turn 13 get so many people. Turn 9 was popular as well. On Saturday during NGTU there was 9 wrecks...everytime I went around there were more to the side....WOW!
    Overall a great weekend and I had some great results...just wich my lap times were a little better....but we still have July I suppose.
    For all of you new racers from CSC..GREAT to see you out there. Had a chance to talk to a few of you. Hope you all had fun and learned lots.

Curtis

Where were the crashes on 13 (lucky number)? Early, mid, late? Just curious as to potential causes, er...make that real causes. Potential could have been UFOs, tumbleweeds, etc.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I crashed in 13 on Sunday. I went down because I had to much lean when I tried to pass inside. Good lesson!
    2006 R6 - Race bike - Novice #222

Sponsors:
    Vortex

Evomx

Panolin America

You don't need lube, these aren't old ladies they are 18......They're good to go!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Pilot,

Crashes were happening at all points in 13. We had racers coming together at the enterance causing crashes, missed brake markers, getting on the gas too early on the exit and just the general, "got in too hot and tried too hard to make the turn....I lost the front"

Turn 9 was problematic as well, I think a lot of the cause there was a change in wind direction and strength causing some riders to run off the track there because they were carrying more speed into that corner than they had been in practice or earlier races.

I ran off the track once in 1 because I got a little fire of competition in my head and forgot to slow down enough. As I was trailing it in I hit some bumps in the track on the brakes that I hadn't hit before. The bike got a bit unstable, and I ended up standing it up and running off the track instead of falling down...

scott
    Last edited by rybo; Fri May 30th, 2008 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    Pilot,

I ran off the track once in 1 because I got a little fire of competition in my head and forgot to slow down enough. As I was trailing it in I hit some bumps in the track on the brakes that I hadn't hit before. The bike got a bit unstable, and I ended up standing it up and running off the track instead of falling down...

scott
    i also found those bumps. it was like some wavy pavement just a couple feet off the race line. i got in too hot, ran just a couple feet wide. while trailbraking into the corner, i hit the waves with too much load on the front. i crashed tho, the front left so quick i was on the ground before i knew what to do.

great weekend overall tho. the weather held out nice, most people were able to walk away from the crashes.

Big +1 to all the alfalfa. Not sure but my bike walked away with only a bend clip-on and broken windscreen. See you all in Pueblo
    Casey D

Got through my 1st trip to Hastings with out a trip to the alfalpha !!!
    WOOT !!!

Last 2 times out there Ive been laying down outside T2 in a nice fluffy bed of greens..... Though the front straight has some roughness that wasnt there before and dang near lock to lock headshook me right off.... After I cleaned my drawers ended up with 5th in HW endurance...
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Dion,
    Did you find out what caused the head shake (the bike, not the track)?

Rider Workshop-USA

Yeah that would the the horrible ripples in the track on the right side just a hair after start finish....... Its actually the 1st time Ive ever gotten head shake on any bike IVe owned on any track in the last 6 years I been racing..... Needless to say after I chose a line a bit more to the left, I had no issues the rest of the weekend........

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    Yeah that would the the horrible ripples in the track on the right side just a hair after start finish....... Its actually the 1st time Ive ever gotten head shake on any bike IVe owned on any track in the last 6 years I been racing..... Needless to say after I chose a line a bit more to the left, I had no issues the rest of the weekend........
    Now that is some good and valuable information to share amongst your fellow racers (moving to the left). Had you made any changes to your bike since you last raced there--suspension, tires, front-end geometry: triple clamp offset, rake, trail, new fork set-up. I know, a lot of questions, but I'm curious from a rider/tech standpoint. Not trying to get all the secrets here, but then again, this ain't MotoGP, ha. Thanks.

Rider Workshop-USA

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Now that is some good and valuable information to share amongst your fellow racers (moving to the left). Had you made any changes to your bike since you last raced there--suspension, tires, front-end geometry: triple clamp offset, rake, trail, new fork set-up. I know, a lot of questions, but I'm curious from a rider/tech standpoint. Not trying to get all the secrets here, but then again, this ain't MotoGP, ha. Thanks.
    Last year I ran bone stock suspension. This year I went with an Ohlins 25 mill kit up front and an Ohlins rear shock. No geometry changes, and I ran Bridgies new 003 DOT's which does have a significantly different profile on the front...

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Last year I ran bone stock suspension. This year I went with an Ohlins 25 mill kit up front and an Ohlins rear shock. No geometry changes, and I ran Bridgies new 003 DOT's which does have a significantly different profile on the front...
    Was that a change from the 20mm kit? How's the turn-in on the 003's compared to your last brand?

Rider Workshop-USA

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Last year I ran bone stock suspension....

I'm guessing no.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I'm guessing no.
    Oops, I was looking at something other than that fine bit of information. Must get back to reading 101.

Rider Workshop-USA

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Was that a change from the 20mm kit? How's the turn-in on the 003's compared to your last brand?

Stock front on an 06 R6 is 20 mill yes........... (but I had absolutely nothing done to them) They werre straight off the floor of the dealer and to the race track) The amount of difference in the front end frm stock to the 25mill kit is truely amazing... Its like a Chevy Aveo to a Ferrari...

Turn in is VERY different.... The 002 is a triangular shaped profile, the drops you down fast into a corner and sticks you there tight... The 003 has a much more domed (or rounded) profile, which gave you a more easy gradual turn in and is a bit easier in a flip flop style situation (Like T6a,b to T7 at Pueblo)... However, I love both tires and am happy to run either.... The rear tire has far less tread marks on it and more slick like surface area.... One would assume it would also behave more like a slick in that aspect... Its almost as if the grooves are only to get it to qualify for SS class only.... Kinda like Pirelli's DOT's are... (Not much tread on them at all)
    Last edited by BlueDevil; Tue Jun 10th, 2008 at 07:51 AM.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

you should talk to Dave @ Single Track Mind, yeah the Hastings track has a lot more bumps than last year, but once we got my bike set up to work over the bumps I barely noticed they were there. My 1000 has a simple 20mm revalve kit, no need to spend the mega bucks on full carts when you can get stock parts to work just as well........ oh sorry I forgot, the MRA is all about outspending the guy on the grid next to you
    It is what it is

I know this is an off the wall question, but you didn't happen to take a picture of the OEM and Ohlins pistons side by side--just for a compare and contrast?

Rider Workshop-USA

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    you should talk to Dave @ Single Track Mind, yeah the Hastings track has a lot more bumps than last year, but once we got my bike set up to work over the bumps I barely noticed they were there. My 1000 has a simple 20mm revalve kit, no need to spend the mega bucks on full carts when you can get stock parts to work just as well........ oh sorry I forgot, the MRA is all about outspending the guy on the grid next to you
    I actually totally agree with you and had planned on GP Suspention vavles and springs only.... However, I scored the Full 25mill kit and shock for a ridiculous price and they all had 2 sprint race on them... I spent just a smidge over what the shock and revalve with springs would have costed me... so I went with it.... Otherwise, I agree with you 100% on that one....

Dont forget Clarkie... Im the most extreme budget racer the MRA has (self proclaimed)... I run a bike (bought used off a street rider) and a 200 buck Harbor freight trailer, and a Checker autoparts generator... My bikes get a pipe and a power comander, and the parts reqiured by tech to race, and I hit the track..... Im deffinately an advicate that budget racing can do well....
    Last edited by BlueDevil; Tue Jun 10th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors: