Thread: Oil change on my CBR...

Oil change on my CBR...

So I was changing the oil on my new CBR yesterday and got to the oil filter. Went out and got a filter wrench and whenever I tried to turn it, it would stick for 2 second then slide around almost like when you strip the inside of a screw.

We put tape around the filter and everything to give it a better fit, and yes, the filter wrench I got is the smallest one that exists.

I also tried those little belt things, but the filter is so hard to reach that won't work since I can't get any leverage.

Then I tried hammering a screwdriver into the filter to turn it, and that didn't work either.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how I do this before I get my bike on a truck and take it to the shop?
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Re: Oil change on my CBR...

I am guessing its your first filter change. I dont know why but at the factory they put those things on with an impact wrench or something.
    Only thing you can do now is try to get as close to the base as possible with your wrench. The integrity of the filter is gone once you jab it with a screw driver. If that doesnt work then take it to the shop.
    If it makes you feel any better the next oil change will be a peice of cake.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Just don't jab the screwdriver in close to the base as the intake sometimes sticks out and you damage it pretty easily.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Just don't jab the screwdriver in close to the base as the intake sometimes sticks out and you damage it pretty easily.
    I jabbed it in right at the top where you would put the filter wrench since there is absolutely no other room.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    So I was changing the oil on my new CBR yesterday and got to the oil filter. Went out and got a filter wrench and whenever I tried to turn it, it would stick for 2 second then slide around almost like when you strip the inside of a screw.

We put tape around the filter and everything to give it a better fit, and yes, the filter wrench I got is the smallest one that exists.

I also tried those little belt things, but the filter is so hard to reach that won't work since I can't get any leverage.

Then I tried hammering a screwdriver into the filter to turn it, and that didn't work either.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how I do this before I get my bike on a truck and take it to the shop?
    Same thing happened to me last week... but what i did was, i put a rag over the oil filter, and then put the oil filter "socket over that, and LIGHTLY tapped it on there with a hammer. That eliminated the play in the socket over the filter, and then loosened it up with my 3/8 inch socket..

Hopefully this is helpful.
    Every man dies..
    Not every man really Lives...

www.myspace.com/5thdynasty

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRSURFR View Post
    Same thing happened to me last week... but what i did was, i put a rag over the oil filter, and then put the oil filter "socket over that, and LIGHTLY tapped it on there with a hammer. That eliminated the play in the socket over the filter, and then loosened it up with my 3/8 inch socket..

Hopefully this is helpful.
    Sweet, I'll try that tomorrow.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Sweet, I'll try that tomorrow.
    Let me know
    Every man dies..

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    The integrity of the filter is gone once you jab it with a screw driver.
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/OWNER%7E1.DAR/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Cars-R-Coffins; Sun Apr 26th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

so, i had to do this on a 600rr that only had 3k miles on it earlier this summer (factory filter too). worst oil change EVER!!!

what i ended up doing after the screwdriver idea didn't work (broke my screwdriver) was dent the oil filter enough to make it so i had a surface that was flat, and angled so i could take an socket extension bar and use that to tap the filter loose. once it was finally loosened, the rest was easy.

as i said, if you want me to come do it, give me a call.
    ^Ted^

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I've used a big pair of channel-lock pliers that I have and just crunched the filter.

You could try heating the base of the filter with a torch, I don't believe there are any rubber seals in that area that you would destroy (best to do that with someone experienced though).

Let us know how it turns out...
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Channel Locks! It's the only way. I have had the same issue, and I've now changed the oil twice on my bike.

Another thing that helps, but not much, is to use a paper towel in the filter socket. It sorta works, but honestly the torque you get out of the filter wrench for putting the filter back on, is enough. But channel locks to get the bitch off. And even then, it still takes a lot of effort.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

BIG thanks to denver_whitest aka ted for helping me with the filter. You are a lifesaver. I'll post up a pic of the filter tomorrow.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Here are some pics of the filter...
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Here are some pics of the filter...
    You showed that filter who's boss, didn't ya!
    Every man dies..

Factory filter are in pain in the A$$. I do a lot of first oil changes on Jeeps and Chryslers at Go Jeep, and most of the time I have to put my big 1/2" socket pry bar on my filter claw to get them off. At the factory a robot puts the filter on mechanically so a lot of time its tightened to no end.

Also, I recommend getting a three-pronged filter claw, they get stuck filter off easier because the harder you twist the more they dig into the sides of the filter. The "band" style wrenches usually just slip around the filter if its tight.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Actually, the factory installs the filter to a relatively modest torque spec. What the f*ckers DON'T do is lubricate the gasket. After the vehicle sits in a warehouse for a couple of months, then on a ship for several weeks, then experiences a bunch of heat cycles, the friggin gasket develops a bond that makes super glue look like Crisco....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRSURFR View Post
    You showed that filter who's boss, didn't ya!
    Denver_whitest did actually. He came over and got it off in 10 minutes, if that.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

hey think, i actually just basically started tearing my bike apart thursday night to prep for winter storage. i had 2 oil changes done by the dealership in cali, and doing one now was indeed a bitch because of the way they put that filter on. i used the band type filter wrench to get it off. took some scraping of the knuckles, but it worked. it actually caught me by surprise, changing the oil in my cars i've never had to use a wrench, was always able to do it by hand. i guess it helped that those were frams with the grippy stuff. oh well, live and learn. are you going to flush your coolant before you put it away?

should mount that as a trophy.
    Red and Black, 08 CBR600RR.

dont use frams!!! your bike will thank you later.

get some good stuff, like wix, K&n, purolator, or mobil1
    ^Ted^

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

I was going to suggest the screwdriver thing but I seen that you did first. When I did mine I had to stab the screwdriver in one side and out the other just to get it to grip.

What is wrong with frams? I have been using them for years and I can't say one way or the other if work but they are cheaper and seem to work.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Ive read too many times about bad draining designs on frams. by all means, use what you like, but i personally use purolator, mobil1, and Wix (napa), and ive only heard good things about K&N gold
    ^Ted^

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

I have a few of each floating around I think its worth a look inside? I think they are all paper filters but it should be interesting to look?
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson