Thread: Motorcycle endorsement?

Re: Motorcycle endorsement?

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    ^^^I think he was about 4...

(see avitar)

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scer View Post
    I wouldn't follow the whole "no endorsement and they will over look everything else" theory. I got pulled over for speeding but didn't have endorsement, ins, or reg.

Left there walking with a 20 point ticket in my pocket which included $250 for speeding.

walk on walkas
    Actually the theory is "have everything else and they will overlook the endorsement". If you're missing insurance and registration, they are supposed to impound your vehicle.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    Even after you get your endoresement in Ohio the licensing goes in phases.
    1st year riding = novice with restriction of always wearing a helmet as well as any passenger

My brother back there who just got off of his novice said that the learner's permit rider has to avoid "busy streets" as well.. whatever that means and however they judge what that constitutes.

Whereabouts in Ohio do you hail from MetaLord? I'm from the general Columbus area.
    Nope, it only goes in phases if you're under 18. At least that's how they had it 4 years ago when I got mine. They put an "M-N" on your license to denote that you're a motorcycle novice, but that status only lasts for 6 months and that only meant that you had to wear a helmet. You could carry a passenger, ride anywhere at anytime of day on your own.

I've been out here for about a year and a half from Columbus, Dublin technically, but inside 270. Where in "general Columbus" where ya? You go to OSU?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Nope, it only goes in phases if you're under 18. At least that's how they had it 4 years ago when I got mine. They put an "M-N" on your license to denote that you're a motorcycle novice, but that status only lasts for 6 months and that only meant that you had to wear a helmet. You could carry a passenger, ride anywhere at anytime of day on your own.

I've been out here for about a year and a half from Columbus, Dublin technically, but inside 270. Where in "general Columbus" where ya? You go to OSU?
    Ah, it must have changed a bit since you've been there. My brother is.umm... 22 I think? But he called me just a few months ago stoked that he got the N taken off of his endoresement! lol And that N lasts for a year now... ick!

I am from the east side of cow-town, in Pataskala. I lived in the Newark/Heath area for a while before I moved out here in 2001. I worked in Dublin off of Post Rd for a while too. Also did my medic ride time with Perry Twp FD before they became Washington Twp and was a pt firefighter there too. Oh and yes.. I'm a BUCKEYE baby!!!!!!!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Go Bucks! Just so you know, looooooots of haters on the board...

You go downtown for the games?

Yeah, I actually used to live near post Road. I was off of riverside, behind the driving range/golf course there.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

sa-weet, someone to remember places with! lol and yeah.. i'm used to the haters. they can all kiss my ass. haha

i never did go downtown for the games, i lived on campus long enough and watched all of the tailgating in my apt complex's parking lot. i do want to go back and watch one now that i'm gone tho!
    ~Jess~

Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Sorry, I mean do you go downtown to LODO for the games?

I think I was at damn near every game when I was in Columbus...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1186476451596

There is a link on this page to the motorcycle handbook. It pulls up a PDF if you search for permit it's on page 3.

"A motorcycle instruction permit allows you to operate a motorcycle while under the immediate, proximate supervision of an adult who is at least 21 years of age and holds a valid COLORADO license endorsed for motorcycles. If you are under the age of 18, per Colorado Revised Statute 42-2-106, if you are not riding with your MOST instructor or the parent or guardian who signed your Affidavit of Liability, you must have your parent or gaurdian's permission to ride with another adult who meets the requirements of having a valid driver's license endorsed for motorcycles."
    Last edited by Wyck; Thu Feb 5th, 2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Actually the theory is "have everything else and they will overlook the endorsement". If you're missing insurance and registration, they are supposed to impound your vehicle.
    Damn it Ralph quit reading what I write and just read my mind instead..
    Basically in the end it just matters on how much the cop wants to let you off the hook with. It was the endorsement for Townie and it was nothing for me.

He said he could impound the bike but after a hour filled with explaining and several episodes of out of control, little girl like, crying he probably felt sorry for me.

read on readas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

If you are riding without an endorsement you maybe screwed in an accident whether that accident is your fault or not. When I first started riding, I was on a permit, with insurance, and would ride by myself most all the time. I found out from a lawyer friend that if I was involved in an accident (my fault or not) I could be found partially responsible to the accident because I did not have an endorsement or I was not with another endorsed rider. That could result in no ability to recover damages. If I died in the accident my wife and kids could be screwed. If I survived and was in the hospital, my healthcare maybe covered by my health insurance but the lost work time could not be recovered. Damages to the bike not covered and I may even have to pay damages on the other car out of my pocket. Needless to say I finished off my endorsement within two weeks after he told me that. Here is what a lawyer has to say about no endorsement.

If you've been riding a while without an endorsement or permit you have should have enough experience to knock out the permit written test and rider test pretty easily.

1. Do the written test. Here's the Motorcycle Handbook. $15 I think
    2. Practice the Alternate MOST course. Here's the layout and test. I used soda cans for cones. Free
    3. Get tested at Rocky Mountain Harley-Davidson for $40.
    4. Go back to DMV for the endorsement. Another $15 I think.

Why would one not get an endorsement? NHTSA statistics don't lie:

3.2.10 Licensing of the Motorcycle Operator and Driver of the Passenger Vehicle

In 2005, 32 percent of the operators/drivers involved in 1,792 two-vehicle crashes involving
    a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle, were operating their vehicles with an invalid
    license at the time of the crash. Of these, 429 (24%) were motorcycle operators, who were killed while operating the motorcycle with an invalid license

For motorcycle operator
    Valid – a valid driver license with a motorcycle endorsement, a motorcycle only license,
    learner’s permit; and a temporary license; or no license required for operating a motorcycle
    type vehicle like mopeds.
    Invalid – not licensed, not licensed to operate a motorcycle, or a license that is suspended,
    revoked, expired, canceled, or denied.

Taken from: http://origin-www.nhtsa.gov/staticfi...007/810834.pdf
    Mike

I don't advise anyone to ride without an endorsement but I did ride for over 2 years in AZ without one. Most of the guys that I rode with did not have them either. These weren't a bunch on squids either, but older guys that had been riding for years. Maybe it was a cultural thing there, I don't know. I did get stopped for speeding once on the bike and didn't get a ticket for not having a permit, just for the speeding. I was never in an accident on the bike so not sure what would've happened there.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Sorry, I mean do you go downtown to LODO for the games?

I think I was at damn near every game when I was in Columbus...
    Move this conversation to a PM you crazy "Poisonous Nut Lovers"!!
    I play more games that Coleco!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Move this conversation to a PM you crazy "Poisonous Nut Lovers"!!
    LOL... we did you party spoiler! lol

And back on topic.... do the books say anything specific as far as maximum penalty for driving w/out endorsement?
    ~Jess~

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Reading this thread just makes me want to follow the Bashmeisters protocol and check all endorsements and credentials prior to takeoff.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

yes, driving without endorsement is "driving without license" it carries 4 points and a fine fo about 200 bucks........you actually get in more trouble for driving under restriction.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

ahh, that makes sense - grassyass!
    ~Jess~

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I don't really get why anyone would want to test the system. It's not too difficult to just be legal.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

i know doesnt it? a slap on the wrist for driving without license...oh yeah and points on a license you dont have. but if you drive under restriction you will lose youre license, spend a minimum of 5 days in jail along with about a 200 buck fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Tell him to man up and go get the damn thing. There is no negative for learning how to pass the written and riding tests, only positives, and a LOT of potential negatives for NOT having it. As stated, the Ins. company, in the event of a wreck, may decide he was riding illegally, and decide not to cover anything, which could leave him and his parents open to devastating lawsuits.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

My first 10 years of riding I didn't have the endorsement.
    Never got pulled over, guess I just got lucky.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by jimwallace View Post
    i know doesnt it? a slap on the wrist for driving without license...oh yeah and points on a license you dont have. but if you drive under restriction you will lose youre license, spend a minimum of 5 days in jail along with about a 200 buck fine.
    Ya isnt it a messes up system
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Reading this thread just makes me want to follow the Bashmeisters protocol and check all endorsements and credentials prior to takeoff.
    We've done it before on rides...

FWIW we did a class with ABATE last year where folks at the end could take the endorsement test. That's how I got mine back, along with a few more folks. I dunno, would something like that be valuable to to again this summer?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    ............................And only the gey will make fun of the name
    Last edited by Bueller; Fri Feb 6th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.