Thread: HELP!!!!

Board Newbie

HELP!!!!

I have a friends 2001 F4i that I have been periodically starting and let run throughout the winter. Recently, I went to start it, and it was struggling to turn over. I hooked it up to my neighbors bike to let it charge for a bit, but as we were hooking it up, the negative clamp snapped off and touched the positive terminal. Sparks flew, and that was the end.....
    Nothing turns on. When I turn the key, no lights, no prime, nothing...

I went out and bought a trickle charger, and I have it hooked up to the battery right now, but its not looking too good. Did I short the entire ECU? I checked all the fuses, and they are all fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My friend is actually looking to sell this bike, but that might be put on hold due to these circumstances.
    THANKS!!!
    -Matt

Re: HELP!!!!

Check the main fuse. This is a 30 amp fuse, located on the starter relay, usually under a red or clear plastic cover. There is usually a spare right there also.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Looks like you blew the head gasket, just kidding, TFOGGuys beat me to it, that 30a can be your issue, it should be next to the battery, thats how it is on my buddies f4i, the ecu is probably fine however you never know.

There appears to be a short somewhere between the battery and the ignition switch which is why you dont get lights or anything else.

If replacing the 30 dont work, you can grab a volt meter thing and check for passing current between the battery negative and different locations in your positive wiring.

Board Newbie

NICE! just replaced the fuse and she started on the first try....thanks guys. Just took it for a spin in shorts and a t-shirt....kinda cold out. Know anyone thats looking for a bike??!!