Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAFETY! It's your wallet, it's your LIFE! Modulators

Re: SAFETY! It's your wallet, it's your LIFE! Modulators

I know Rita was interested in one for her Ninja. I mainly ride the 'busa and it has one however I am interested in the taillight mod.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

List updated for with Rita.

Need 10 more to make it worth while to other parties. (but even one is worthwhile to each rider) I appreciate everyones involvement--on all sides of the issue.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Bump. Because things get buried outside of the "new posts" section.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

As long as it does not decrease my being able to see at night ( you know us old guys) Even though most of the really bad decisions I've seen made by cagers were made AFTER they saw me it might be a good thing for most drivers as an advanced warning device. I had a lady pull out in front of me which I was compensating for when she saw me and STOPPED blocking both lanes. Again not too often but I always hope they dont see me so I can deal with their stupidity more eaisly. I too pulse my brake light by hand.

Bump, list updated.

Rider Workshop-USA

Rita asked me about getting a modulator today. We were heading back from lunch (she on the back of the 'busa) when a car in the left lane slowed and the driver rolled down his window. He yelled over to us that my headlight was blinking and mimed it with his hands. I yelled back that it was supposed to do that and gave him the thumbs up.

I do want to make a group purchase but I don't want to wait for too long.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Carl,
    I would be more than willing to fight the good fight and get a solid list together for the modulators, types, prices, payments, etc. Saving a dollar is most always a good thing if thought out right. However, it should in no way come first before the safety of the individual.

Right now, well, in the morning, I'll be teaching a Total Control Class in Ontario, California. Then, doing some super moto training and taking some time to go to the Race Tech suspension facility to talk about what is coming up in the future. I'll be back in Denver in the middle of the week. Then, I'm doing a demo/seminar at BMW/Ducati of Colorado Springs on Saturday at their open house and again on Sunday at Motohuas in Ft. Collins on Sunday. And of course, the CSC track day is Monday and Tuesday. Whew, that was the long way of saying I'm busy (not to mention my Mother is in ICU right now, crap).

Having said that, if some of you all would like to carry the ball and do a bit of research and come up with some ideas, we should be able to move forward, get some product and maybe have an install party down the road.

Everyone's thoughts?

Rider Workshop-USA

Pilot,

Count me as interested and a likely buyer. There's no doubt that modulators increase visibility.

Obviously, I'd want a clean installation and need to do some research on how best to go about it for my particular bike.
    Research Questions...
    1. What are the various modulator options and prices, quality/features, etc?
    2. Which vendors are willing to give us a discount on a group buy?
    3. What's the procedure for the cleanest install?
    4. Local wrench interested in doing a group-install....Or shop day?

About to go out for a ride but I'll start digging around for info this week.

-O

Thank you Opie. Good questions. Will add you to the list. Hope your ride wnet well.

Pilot

Rider Workshop-USA

The modulators I posted the link to are plug and play. Clean and easy to install. I would suggest installing a switch to turn off the modulator when you want to. I've learned that on cloudy days, the light sensor can turn the modulator on and off throughout the day, which can be annoying in a group ride (understandably). Wiring in the switch would be easy enough and I can help anybody with that.
    ~Dank :Þ

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute,
    but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Here's a cut/paste from the FAQ at headlightmodulator.com

Q. Why is the light sensor important?
    A. Federal law requires a sensor to stop the headlight modulation automatically when it becomes too dark. This is to prevent blinding on-coming traffic to avoid an accident. Modulating a headlight without this safety requirement violates the law and takes a huge liability chance which might result from an accident.
    Q.
    My turn signal lights dim with the headlight modulation?

A. This condition can happen when installing a high wattage bulb that is greater than the bike's manufacturer recommends. The bike's wiring harness and switchgear is most likely undersized to supply the extra current required by the new bulb. A solution is to add a solid-state "relay" kit. Also, an undersized or failing alternator/generator or weak battery can case this issue with any bulb.
    Q.
    What type of bulb do I have on my bike?

A. Determine what type of female bulb connector you have. You can check your bike's manual, visually inspect your bulb, or call your local motorcycle parts dealer and ask for what replacement bulb type fits your bike. Most bikes use the 3-pin H4 bulb (high and low beams in one bulb) or the 2-pin H7 bulb. See bulb pictures.
    Q. Why does the VisiPath headlight modulator not have a "shade delay"?
    A. Federal regulations do NOT allow for any delay when surrounding light falls below a specified level.
    Q. Why is the VisiPath modulator module designed not to mount directly onto the bulb?
    A. Two reasons. First to give maximum mounting flexibility for bikes with small headlight housing with tight space. Second to avoid the bulb's high heat from degrading the modulator components.
    Q. How does the daylight sensor mount? Any drilling?
    A. After plugging-in the modulator (no wire slicing) you route the sensor wire from the modulator out through the headlight housing existing cable opening and wire tie (supplied) it to one of bike's handlebar cables. The sensor wire is plenty long for flexibility. The brake or throttle cable works fine. There is no drilling.
    Q. I have a very small headlight housing will your modulator fit inside?
    A. In most cases yes. The VisiPath modulators are very small. The modulator can also be mounted outside the headlight housing but this is the exception. Fits inside most headlight housings.
    Q. Will the modulator or sensor visually detract from my bike?
    A. Not really. Remember the modulator usually sits inside the headlight housing and is not visible. If mounted outside the housing it is small and hard to notice. After the sensor in mounted to a handlebar cable if you ask a friend to find it s/he will usually say "where is it?", even if you point to the sensor's location.
    Q. How effective is a modulator?
    A. It has been proven that a flashing light is more visible than one steady on. That is one reason why the U.S. Federal DOT has legalized headlight modulators for safety. Its been reported that most motorcycle accidents involve front end collisions. What's your safety worth?
    Q. Can I connect two single headlight modulators instead of using a dual unit?
    A. The dual headlight modulator keeps the two headlights modulating in sync. This is a Federal DOT requirement because alternating or wigwag headlight modulation is reserved for public safety vehicles like police, fire, etc. You don't want to get a ticket.
    Q. Can I use a single headlight modulator on a dual headlight bike?
    A. Yes. It's best to place the single modulator on a hi-beam bulb which gives better visibility. The second bulb would operate as normal.

Q. Will the VisiPath headlight modulator work with Halogen and Xenon bulbs?
    A. Yes.

Q. Will the headlight modulator shorten my bulb's life?
    A. In our many years of experience no. The bulb's life will remain about the same. There are no known reports of premature bulb failure we could find. If you believe this is still a concern then consider this: a typical replacement halogen bulb costs about $8. Given the bulb's normal operating life is 4 years then the dollar cost over the life of the bulb is $8 / 4(yrs) = $2(per yr). Now let us assume that modulating will shorten the life by 25% (fictitious), then the extra total loss over the bulb life would be $2(per 4 years). That's CHEAP insurance to avoid a head-on accident and the high medical bills if you survive.
    Q. Will my bike's headlight "pass" flash optional feature need to be disconnected?
    A. The pass flash battery positive wire going to the bulb needs to be moved and connected to the modulator input, to another bulb, or disconnected.
    Q. Is low beam modulation supported by the manufacturer or seller?
    A. No. Manufacturer/seller only supports default high beam modulation installation. If user chooses to modulate low beam they assume self support.

Any updates on the order?
    ~Dank :Þ

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute,
    but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Looks like winter is the season for wrenching. I'm not sure what's the story with the group buy, but I think I'm going to pickup a modulator this month. I'll do the install on a day when I can pull my car out of the garage.

Might be fun to have a tech day with a couple other bikers. Any interest?

Another option

Those interested in modulators might want to spend a little time on Eastern Beaver Company's website. Lots of info on modulators, lighting upgrades, etc. I'll be buying from him.

Here's a link: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...tml#modulators

p.s. Eastern Beaver is owned by Jim Davis who has a great reputation in the BMW community.

Just to close this thread...

I did end up ordering from Eastern Beaver but was far too busy to install the modulator... until today. A wonky headlight switch (overheated) required some soldering and so I took the extra time to install the modulator. Not only was the modulator/relay harness from Eastern Beaver very well made, the installation couldn't have been simpler.

Two thumbs up.

-O