Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first track day

Re: My first track day

Quote Originally Posted by jahags";p="191711
    He is very proud of his rear wheel and I suspect it will be mounted on his wall in the next week. Tee shirts will soon be available to the club.

BTW cycle, congrats on popping your track cherry! Hope to see you at a bigger track soon! (PSSST, MRA school in a couple weekends!)

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime73";p="191710
    Ralph, thanks for the definition of "trail braking". I thought I stated that skidding the rear and trail braking are different. If I hadn't I apologize, but I think you, being the racer you are, clearly get my point. Newbie, trail braking..you get the jist of it. Im done..no need to banter on a useless subject..and cycle...ballin up the tires doesn't prove you were sliding around...does mean they were used at speed for a good period of time.
    I like trail braking and throwin' the pass down on Big Tuba.

With passengers.

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~";p="191746
    Ralph, thanks for the definition of "trail braking". I thought I stated that skidding the rear and trail braking are different. If I hadn't I apologize, but I think you, being the racer you are, clearly get my point. Newbie, trail braking..you get the jist of it. Im done..no need to banter on a useless subject..and cycle...ballin up the tires doesn't prove you were sliding around...does mean they were used at speed for a good period of time.
    I like trail braking and throwin' the pass down on Big Tuba.

With passengers.

Barn...with THAT much weight on yer totaled R1, annyyoonee cold rail it in the mountains...

BTW, that was like Howww long ago?? Yer lucky I dont have my bike anymore..
    Talofa!, O a mai oe? O lou igoa o, Maka. Ua ou fiafia ua ta teiloai.
    Polynesian Tatau or Traditional Tattoos that are amazing ~ http://www.sacredcentertattoo.com/default.aspx
    It isn't the history that makes the man, it's the man that makes history.
    Psalm Ch. 18 v.39

Oh and Cycle...I congratulate you on your 1st track day...I know when I did mine on PPIR, I didn't want it to end. It is an exhilerating feeling riding a machine with so much capacity for speed, lean angle and most of all...fun! Just be safe.
    Polynesian Tatau or Traditional Tattoos that are amazing ~ http://www.sacredcentertattoo.com/default.aspx
    Psalm Ch. 18 v.39

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

:P
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    You can borrow mine to prove a point!!!
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek";p="191763
    You can borrow mine to prove a point!!!
    Psalm Ch. 18 v.39

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Yer right, ballin' 'em up by itself doesn't meant they were sliding, but I've ridden long enough to know what it feels like to be tail-out on either a streetbike or dirtbike, and tail-out it was.

I'll be first to say I'm not "Ricky-Racer", but I was stoked that, for my first time out, I was as comfortable as I was, and did as well as I did. Like I said, Jahags and I HAD to be setting a pretty good pace. See his left jug for proof of that! (No, his OTHER left jug!)
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~";p="191728
    I was sliding my rear on my 3rd track day at Pueblo.
    Didn't that hurt your ass?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Well then it's time to get off the go-cart track and ride a real track or at least what Colorado has to offer.

Lurch
    MRA #retired

Quote Originally Posted by jahags";p="191711
    I was there and here is the real story. He was sliding the rear, but a controlled slide, I don't know. I was getting a little nervous watching because it was breaking loose too fast and at the exit of the corner and hookin up with a speed wobble. It was more like keep doing that and one is going to bite back. Watch Randy Mamola footage on a GP bike for a controlled rear wheel slide. For his first ride on a track he did great and would have no problem fitting in as a novice rider. We need to get him on a big boy track because IMI is a 2nd&3rd gear track. He is very proud of his rear wheel and I suspect it will be mounted on his wall in the next week. Tee shirts will soon be available to the club. It was a blast watching him giggle like a little kid set free in a candy factory.
    'Sup mah brotha frum anotha mutha! I had a blast! Thanks! Yeah, it was movin' around a little, but it seemed mostly when I was going over the bumps and patches. I felt it get a little sideways, and carry that thru the next corner after the chicane and before the long right in the infield. I think it was becaus the pavment was smoother there, and it wasn't breaking loose as suddenly when it got light. I don't know, it just felt right, so, hey I was just enjoying it. I'd have to say a lot of that was that those tires felt really predictable. Plus I used to get really sideways on my KX, so, it just felt cool. As far as Mamola, he was always one of the coolest. I remember one time, though, he was mid corner, leaned waaaay over, was stepping 'er out under throttle, looked back over his shoulder to see where the other guy was.....and got LAUNCHED! I'm probably one of the few here that's actually seen him race in person, and met him once. It was cool.

And, hey, I'm gonna make a pair of glass-topped end-tables out of the tires.....with YOUR help!

Oh, and isn't ANY slide where you don't end up on your head a "controlled" slide!

Kinda like any landing you walk away from.......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Congrats on your first track day.....welcome to the addiction. Although I don't get out much or a licensed racer, I know the feeling. IMI is fun for getting out there. A few notes--if you are using 3rd gear......why? Especially on a 1K. A 600 doesn't need to go pass 2nd on that track. My speed "record" on the back straight with Quick636 was like 94-96mph I think.....just grap a lot of brake for the hairpin left. As for ballin up tires....that track is HARSH on tires. So many tight turns. After 3 laps of just easy riding the tires are ballin and meltin up. If you keep going there you will have to come up to Twin Peaks to mount up a new set Keep it up CM, glad you had a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Wahooman";p="191821
    Congrats on your first track day.....welcome to the addiction. Although I don't get out much or a licensed racer, I know the feeling. IMI is fun for getting out there. A few notes--if you are using 3rd gear......why? Especially on a 1K. A 600 doesn't need to go pass 2nd on that track. My speed "record" on the back straight with Quick636 was like 94-96mph I think.....just grap a lot of brake for the hairpin left. As for ballin up tires....that track is HARSH on tires. So many tight turns. After 3 laps of just easy riding the tires are ballin and meltin up. If you keep going there you will have to come up to Twin Peaks to mount up a new set Keep it up CM, glad you had a good time!
    Thanks man, I had a lot of fun. I kept it in 2nd the whole time though. The powerband is so wide I never shifted the whole time, and ran it only up to 8k or so max. So, it wasn't really into the peak power which hits at 10,500 or so. So, there were some corners that the revs were maybe 3k, and I could have gotten around faster wringing it out and shifting it, but it still pulls so hard down there i was just concentrating on lines. that track really is way too tight for a 1K, but it was fun slidin' 'er around!

Well, if Twin Peaks wants to match me the Chaparrall price I can get for my rear Sportec, I'll buy it there, but when I called, he couldn't, so i was just planning on mounting it there.

Depending on what happens with my house and other financials, I MIGHT be in the market for an '05, with a buddy that might want a Victory, so maybe a package deal?

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Wahooman";p="191821
    My speed "record" on the back straight with Quick636 was like 94-96mph I think.....just grap a lot of brake for the hairpin left.
    I hit 105 with the superchicken, however we were going the other direction (so a right hander at the end of the straight). Brakes almost weren't enough. I did touch 3rd gear back there, but that was just me having fun trying to see if I could do anything with 3rd before having to slow down.

It IS a good track if you need to work on getting through tight corners faster. and it will definitely give you a workout, there is nowhere to rest.

Were you able to "Slide it in the corners" Ralph...er skid er trail brake... :P
    Psalm Ch. 18 v.39