Thread: carb tuning suggestions?

carb tuning suggestions?

Anyone know of good jet/pilot jet sizes to use on a 96 GSXR 750 with a full race exhaust(kerker) and a k&n at this altitude? Any suggestions for getting this pig running right? Damn I wish I could afford a fuel injected liter bike to solve all my problems.

Re: carb tuning suggestions?

What part of the rpm range is running bad? And are the carbs clean and synched well? Miles since valve clearance checked?

When I still had my '96 gsxr750, I ran a full-race Yoshimura exhaust, K&N, and Factory race jet kit. I don't remember for sure, but I think I used the stock pilots and adjusted the fuel screws to close to the recommended setting as set by Factory -- approximately 2.75 turns out (Factory suggestion was 3.0 turns with that kit).

For mains, I believe I was up one size from stock -- #130 out/#127.5 inner

And I'm pretty sure the jet needle clip was in the #3 position.

By the way, if you don't have a jet kit, I still have a brand new Factory 1.1-ti ProKit for a '96, as well as a few RaceTech suspension parts if you're interested. And if I have the time, I could help you install the jet kit here in Fort Collins.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by MattTLS";p="192007
    What part of the rpm range is running bad? And are the carbs clean and synched well? Miles since valve clearance checked?

When I still had my '96 gsxr750, I ran a full-race Yoshimura exhaust, K&N, and Factory race jet kit. I don't remember for sure, but I think I used the stock pilots and adjusted the fuel screws to close to the recommended setting as set by Factory -- approximately 2.75 turns out (Factory suggestion was 3.0 turns with that kit).

For mains, I believe I was up one size from stock -- #130 out/#127.5 inner

And I'm pretty sure the jet needle clip was in the #3 position.

By the way, if you don't have a jet kit, I still have a brand new Factory 1.1-ti ProKit for a '96, as well as a few RaceTech suspension parts if you're interested. And if I have the time, I could help you install the jet kit here in Fort Collins.

Matthew
    I am very interested in the jet kit. What comes in a jet kit anyway? I'm new to tuning bike carbs. Does it come with pilot jets also? The real problem is that this bike was a used and abused track bike. It was later bought by a complete moron who registered it for the street and managed to mess up all kinds of things. I bought it for cheap and in pieces, and I reassembled it and tried to undo many of the things that the moron did.

The carbs were clean as of last summer and it ran ok, but I could tell it was rich, and it wanted to foul plugs every month or two. I need to clean them again for this season, but I haven't done it yet. I don't have the necessary vacuum gauge to synch the carbs, so it's never been done. Do you have a guage? I have also never checked the valve clearance.

It usually runs ok at cruise and full throttle, but has some stumbles just off idle and while lightly accelerating. I was tired of it fouling plugs so I bought a hotter heat range plug and now it seems to run worse. Lately it has been tougher to take off from a start and the idle varies, sometimes dropping lower than usual. It is also surging all over the rpm range. Still cruises ok though. I want to put the old heat range back in and mess with a jet kit.

Let me know how much you want for the jet kit and what comes with it. I live in Loveland and go to school at CSU, so I'm close by. Maybe you could come take a look at it and give me some suggestions.

Rob

Rob,

Yes, the jet kit comes with pilot jets -- but only #15, and if the bike is already rich, the stock #12.5 are probably better. It also has the adjustable jet needles, lighter rate springs for the slides, and a few different main jets.

It sounds like it'd be a good idea to remove the carbs, check exactly how it's setup and that all of the small passages are completely clean. I do have a synchronizer. As for the valve clearances, it's been a while since I've checked any, but it's not very difficult if you just follow the process outlined in a shop manual -- I still have mine in case you didn't get one with the bike.

Anyway, I have to get some homework done myself, so pm your phone number and/or address, and I'll try to stop by this weekend sometime to check out your bike.

Matthew