Thread: Lawyer in the House? Traffic violation question....

Question Lawyer in the House? Traffic violation question....

Got a speeding ticket today... 36 in a 20 mph school zone. However, the officer annihilated my last name on the ticket. My last name has 10 letters... he totally lopped off the first 5. Is that enough for a dismissal? Everything else is correct: DL #, license plate #, etc.

Worth risking the judge? Or should I just pay it and be done?

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Lawyer in the House? Traffic violation question....

It's probably not. There are so many other "identifying" items on tickets as-it-is, that a misspelling of a name is probably negligible.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Ya I tried that with a ticket asked a cop friend about it My DL was wrong and he said being everything else was still right they werent going to care about something like that.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

May be worth going, as you may be able to talk to the city attorney and plead down farther than the default "pay now for less points" assessment. Unless it's Denver. Then you're utterly screwed. Speaking from experience.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Account Deactivated at users request

Just talked to my stepdad, "that is by no means grounds for dismissal of a ticket." (FYI, he is a traffic motor officer)

Always worth going to see if you can get the punishment reduced.
    Clean Riding - Dirty Bikes
    A slabside, a grandma wagon, and a 3-er.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    Got a speeding ticket today... 36 in a 20 mph school zone. However, the officer annihilated my last name on the ticket. My last name has 10 letters... he totally lopped off the first 5. Is that enough for a dismissal? Everything else is correct: DL #, license plate #, etc.

Worth risking the judge? Or should I just pay it and be done?
    I don't know man, a couple years back when I was in court for an accident. I watched several people go before me that had almost similar violations as yours(some had higher speeds) and for the most part, every one of them got pumped hard by the Judge.

I felt bad for this one older lady who went rippin through a school zone(if I remember right, something close to 50 in a 20mph), I thought the judge was going to pop a vein. He jammed her with close to $700 in fines plus a load of points.

Down here in the Springs, it's double fines in school/construction zones. So based on that you're looking at $320 in fines plus points for being 16 over(here it's $10 for every MPH over the limit).

You could go just to get some points reduced, not sure you'll get out of the fines. If where you live is anything like the Springs(and here they like their money from the citizens) you'll end up paying the same and just get reduction in points(which is good for your insurance). Anything is possible, good luck.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

yeah i had a retarded cop write a ticket where my last name was wrong my dl# was really bad and my license plate # was wrong, so I got off the whole thing cause they didn't even have me in the record. LOL

But if its just the last name depending on how nice ur judge is u may say something but really just see what the da says. Usually they r totaly cool.