Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frame sliders

frame sliders

I've done the search and see there are multiple posts on sliders, but nothing real recent. I'm hunting through the various brands out there and it appears that some have updated their sliders - so the question begs to be asked.... what is your brand preference nowadays?

I was really leaning toward the LSL, but it looks like I'll have to cut the fairing to use them and I'm just not sure I really want to do that (same issue with the Woodcrafts.) R & G's seem to be fairly reputable and don't require any cutting. I know for sure I don't want any metal sliders, but just can't pin down beyond that what I want.

Thought about making a poll for this...but don't want to exclude any brands that I've not come across yet!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Re: frame sliders

I'll try to figure out what brand of sliders are on the 929. Definitely saved my plastics.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    I've done the search and see there are multiple posts on sliders, but nothing real recent. I'm hunting through the various brands out there and it appears that some have updated their sliders - so the question begs to be asked.... what is your brand preference nowadays?

I was really leaning toward the LSL, but it looks like I'll have to cut the fairing to use them and I'm just not sure I really want to do that (same issue with the Woodcrafts.) R & G's seem to be fairly reputable and don't require any cutting. I know for sure I don't want any metal sliders, but just can't pin down beyond that what I want.

Thought about making a poll for this...but don't want to exclude any brands that I've not come across yet!
    Every thing you need right here:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Ninja650Accessories.htm
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Great site, thanks N_N..but holy cow...$180 for the sliders??? owie! lol
    ~Jess~

Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Have you priced plastics lately?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

See what else you get in terms of responses Jess, but worth every penny in my book. $180 bucks on a $...K bike is worth it. Jeff usually knows WTH he's talking about in terms of quality. But see who pipes in.

Price of plastics $$, Bar ends $$ (gonna take it there anyway), shift levers $$, frame $$, pegs $$, what else can be saved with $180 dollars? Add it up!

I'm not sure why FRAME SLIDERS (yelling) aren't fun for the whole family? But it only takes one little spill to figure out their worth. Not to mention an actual slide.

Frame Sliders FTW. I love mine. LOVE THEM and TESTED THEM. Buy them, install them, love them when they do their job.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Tue May 26th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Cut the fairings, no cut sliders are next to useless.
    Now you just need 20 people to give you names of the absolute best sliders on earth.
    I would steer away from Shogun (they are cheap for a reason).

Remember they are designed to protect the frame, not your body work. It can be an additional advantage but don't count on it.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

The LSL's are worth it, more than a few of us on the board have them. They are really similar to the RG's.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

If you can find "good" no-cuts, they will most likely be a little pricey. I had no choice and had to cut my fairing on both sides. It was a little nerve racking, but they came out great. Just have to be careful, measure well, and take your time. I went with Woodcrafts and I am very pleased. There are a lot of people that discourage the use of no-cuts that use brackets, because the brackets are often the weakest part of the system. Mine mount straight through the frame into the motor at the strongest point. The R & G's look like they have a pretty substantial bracket, but it is impossible to tell how they would hold up. You’re not racing, so they might be adequate for you. I guess it is a compromise either way.
    I play more games that Coleco!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Now you just need 20 people to give you names of the absolute best sliders on earth.

Remember they are designed to protect the frame, not your body work. It can be an additional advantage but don't count on it.
    Yeah, I've heard very limited things positive about the Shoguns. As far as cutting plastics... that doesn't affect the integrity of them I'm assuming? I guess I've just been under the impression that cutting would be more of a hassle...but if it truly is better?
    ~Jess~

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Mine mount straight through the frame into the motor at the strongest point.
    Mine are the same I believe. Get quality and get length (don't do shorties). It's really worth the money Jess. It's your bike. Decide what it's worth to you. And I've heard LSL's before. I purchased mid range to top of the line (not the best and pricest but kinda mid range) from Fay's when I picked up the bike that very day. Can't remember the brand, but Quality is worth the cash. And mine have been great.

And cutting is a huge hassle....pain in da bumm. And worth it.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Tue May 26th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I had the LSL no cut sliders on my R6 because Konichd recommended to me. Best sliders I've owned. A little pricey but worth every dime
    TintTechonline.com or PM me- Tint for your car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Get quality and get length
    Ha she said length matters!

Get sliders. Now.

I put it off and my plastics are now rashed and would have been saved with some sliders for sure.....I put it off, and put it off.

And have still put it off since the rashing is done but I get pissed about it every time I look at the damage. And it was a very minor rashing....

John

LSL or Yoyodines.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I'm with grandpa.
    Screw how expensive plastics are, frames & new bikes are more expensive, especially since if the frame's scratched, the bike's probably done.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Mine are the same I believe. Get quality and get length (don't do shorties). It's really worth the money Jess. It's your bike. Decide what it's worth to you. And I've heard LSL's before. I purchased mid range to top of the line (not the best and pricest but kinda mid range) from Fay's when I picked up the bike that very day. Can't remember the brand, but Quality is worth the cash. And mine have been great.

And cutting is a huge hassle....pain in da bumm. And worth it.
    Yes ma'am! lol
    So it is sounding like I'll probably be going back to my original hunch and prolly get the LSL's since it doesn't look like the Yoyodynes are made for my bike at this point.

John- I hear you...I've got some rashing on the right side that is making me madder than the damage from my wreck....thus my decision to go ahead and get the sliders.

Looks like I'm gonna have to be hitting up a tech night before long!
    ~Jess~

^^^ you should PM Konichd and see if he sells them
    TintTechonline.com or PM me- Tint for your car!!!

I had LSL's on one of my Buells and was nor overly impressed. They are stylish but as to whether they work or not I cant say.

I had LSL's on one of my Buells and was nor overly impressed. They are stylish but as to whether they work or not I cant say.
    Oh really? Why weren't you impressed if you fortunately didn't have to test them out? It almost seems counter-intuitive to me to have sliders with such a low profile, but it also makes sense that they have a lower likelihood of causing a flip.
    ~Jess~

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I just hang a helmet off each side of the bike amd ride lidless.

Squid sliders FTMFW!!!!!
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

It almost seems counter-intuitive to me to have sliders with such a low profile,
    Jess.... they are called Frame Sliders not Plastic Protecters. They are designed to protect your frame from the accidental drop or a mellow low/high side.

I have Sato's on my current bike but have always used Yoyodynes on past bikes.

The longer the slider the more of the plastics they'll protect. However, if you happen to low side and your bike goes sliding down the road and one of those sliders catches a pot hole, etc. You're bike could go catapulting into the air or the pot hole could stop the bike suddenly and tweak the frame.

My experience is that unless on the track, or the accidental drop, frame sliders don't really do all that much.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    they are called Frame Sliders not Plastic Protecters.
    /thread
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I agree with Bueller on this. I had the no cut sliders and one of them ripped off during a lowside, definitely not worth it. My frame wasn't damaged or anything so I guess they did their job, but I can't say the same for my fairings... it just gave my bike more character. lol
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

I researched this a few months ago and found that most the people on cbr.net recommended the Shoguns. I found a set on Ebay for $50 and was impressed with the quality of them. I did do the "cut" sliders since I read some bad reviews on the "no cut". I did like the Woodcraft as well, but they seemed more to protect the frame and not the plastics because of how short they are. Also do not get too long of sliders because they have been known to break or cause the bike to flip in a crash.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!