Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Want To Ride With A Newbie On 19 June

Re: Anyone Want To Ride With A Newbie On 19 June

so meet where and when

Represent The Green Monster In You!

Im sorry I would being a newbie too!!! But I have to work ...Sad Day Maybe next time

do we have an exact time and place then? txt my cell incase u guys get on when im not 719-352-1928

Represent The Green Monster In You!

It's a nice ride, but is so popular the cops watch more closely now, so relax and enjoy the ride. I've see a lot of Harleys in the ditch up there, guess they don't take to corners very well. I'm also thinking the wanna be bad ass types jump on and ride before they know jack about riding. They are wrecking up there a lot and so the police patrol the road very often. It's only a scenery ride now for me, is where I got my one and only speeding ticket on a bike...and several slow down waves from the officers. Even when I'm doing near the leagal limits.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRJOHNNY View Post
    I've see a lot of Harleys in the ditch up there, guess they don't take to corners very well. I'm also thinking the wanna be bad ass types jump on and ride before they know jack about riding.

Ain't that the truth! I'd say the crashes I've seen up there are split between the Harley dressers and newbs on rockets because neither of those riders typically know how to lean their bikes, moreso with the newb rocket rider who bought his bike because he thought it would get him "mad gurlz" who think his bike is "kewl"

Quote Originally Posted by *OFFICIAL*RID3R* View Post
    Im sorry I would being a newbie too!!! But I have to work ...Sad Day Maybe next time
    If your new to sportbikes, pick rides with newbs in mind. The pace will not get you in over your head if your prone to trying to hang with the faster riders. Post up a ride for newbs and ask for someone experienced to lead and sweep. Ask a lot of questions and watch the experienced riders closely. Maybe you can find someone to mentor you and steepen the learning curve. There are a lot of good riders up there around Denver, so you should have no problem getting hooked up. DON'T go on a group ride with the big boys until you master some of the basics, you'll get stuck in the group and feel pressure to keep up and faster riders will be on your ass, this causes you to push your pace too high and make mistakes. Go slow so later you can go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by zetaetatheta View Post
    Deckers is a beautiful ride and one you should do as there are always rides going on there, maybe to many on the weekends. Hwy 24 does have a lot of LEO, but I haven't seen to many from Woodland Park to Deckers. From Pine north, there is a heavier LEO presence, county line thing I think. Anyway it is a slow paced ride so johnny law doesn't really matter. I'll be at the Garden of the Gods welcome center at 11 if anyone wants to ride, and be back in plenty of time for Cy's at 7.
    1100 at Garden of the God Welcome Center. Sounds good, I shall be there. Txt me if anything different 216-970-7802
    Imma girl....so what! What's your next question?

Quote Originally Posted by Concabar View Post
    1100 at Garden of the God Welcome Center. Sounds good, I shall be there. Txt me if anything different 216-970-7802
    I'll be there!

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRJOHNNY View Post
    If your new to sportbikes, pick rides with newbs in mind. The pace will not get you in over your head if your prone to trying to hang with the faster riders. Post up a ride for newbs and ask for someone experienced to lead and sweep. Ask a lot of questions and watch the experienced riders closely. Maybe you can find someone to mentor you and steepen the learning curve. There are a lot of good riders up there around Denver, so you should have no problem getting hooked up. DON'T go on a group ride with the big boys until you master some of the basics, you'll get stuck in the group and feel pressure to keep up and faster riders will be on your ass, this causes you to push your pace too high and make mistakes. Go slow so later you can go fast.

Great advice John! Ride at your own pace and never override your abilities. Better to be slow than to end up off the road because you tried to take a curve too fast and you weren't comfortable leaning your bike that far over.

As far as "big boys", who would you consider "big boys"?

Big boys isn't really a term of reference to skill, rather style.

There are some absolutely great riders here, but they have no interest in pushing it. Some of us ride more...um...spiritedly than others.

The one thing, and this is the easiest piont to convey, but the hardest to comprehend. Unless posted otherwise, the group will ALWAYS wait for you. Usually at the turn off. No one complains or make foul comments when you get there (unless its a Kawi, but even then, only becuase its a Kawi). We say that over and over, and it still takes a while for it to sink in, usually the third or so time they roll up on the group stopped for a break, and they get no complaints about it. The smokers use it as a chance to light up, dip guy swap out pinches, the water guys go pee, we all BS and enjoy the day. Almost all the cliques ride that way. Then the newer folks or less aggressive ones, relax, stay in their comfort zone and enjoy the ride. Me? I'll wait for an hour every time rather than pull you bike out of ravine.

We will have limited access rides, and those are usually big miles in a short period, and we can't afford to stop every turn for 30 minutes to stretch or we'd never get back. There are several multi-day trips, covering a few states, and to be honest, those get filtered purely based on personality, cusz i ain;t sharing a hotel with a douchbag, except Zeta, and thats only becuase he cuddles. Those are for the hardcore high miles kinda folks and thats probably as close to "big boys." Again, not a term of skill but of style.

Unless you mean Dallas when you say "big boys," and in that case, you should probably go ask your mother, she knows why...
    Last edited by Mental; Fri Jun 19th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Big boys isn't really a term of reference to skill, rather style.

There are some absolutely great riders here, but they have no interest in pushing it. Some of us ride more...um...spiritedly than others.
    I don't disagree. I ride at a rather... um... spirited pace as well . Straight speed doesn't interest me at all, but I do love me some twisties.Anyone who has ridden with me knows I'll tear up some curvy roads, but I'll take it easy on the straights. And like you said, I'll wait at an intersection rather than have someone go down and have to help you pull your bike out.

The reason I ask who John considers a "big boy" is because those are the people the newer riders should be seeking out. Not necessarily to keep up with, but definitely pick their brains. There are a lot of good riders on here that are VERY capable on two wheels who I'm sure have no problem offering tips to newer riders. I know I don't have any problem with helping someone out if it will make them a better rider.
    Last edited by CaneZach; Fri Jun 19th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.