Thread: Half-assed safety?

AKA "Devaclis"
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Re: Half-assed safety?

dont most of those bikers that have cruisers wear those exact helmets that pretty much just cover the brain? granted if he wore a regular helmet it would of def save the facial injuries.

Ummm..Think of the picture of my jeans torn up and my knees in my thread and it says it all. If you go down....you are getting roadrash! (3 weeks today). My Full helmet totally saved my face, (Scratches on the faceshield), my leather never got a hole in it. I'm sticking with my gear...no matter what.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

AKA "Devaclis"

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerCarrie View Post
    Ummm..Think of the picture of my jeans torn up and my knees in my thread and it says it all. If you go down....you are getting roadrash! (3 weeks today). My Full helmet totally saved my face, (Scratches on the faceshield), my leather never got a hole in it. I'm sticking with my gear...no matter what.
    Carrie, you need to wear this - so that the ground runs away from you...

no more road rash....

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

For me, it's full-face or don't ride. For anyone else, do what you want, it's a free country. I couldn't even ride without my helmet I'd feel so vulnerable. Personally, I'd be dead without them. I think once you wear protective gear it's hard to go without. I cringe when I see people not wearing all the right gear. If your hands aren't important don't wear gloves. If your feet and lower legs aren't important don't wear boots, if you're head isn't important, don't wear a helmet. And so on...

I think this is why Cruiser people drive so slow (yeah, I said "drive"). If you're not wearing the right gear you feel like you're going a lot faster than you really are. Having the wind whip you in the face and the arms and whatever else isn't covered makes you feel like you're going 80 instead of 40. Effin' moving road blocks...

segue...

By the way, has anyone else noticed that there are about 100 cruisers to every sportbike these days? So many poseur badasses...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    I cringe when I see people not wearing all the right gear. If your hands aren't important don't wear gloves. If your feet and lower legs aren't important don't wear boots, if you're head isn't important, don't wear a helmet. And so on...
    Do you wear full leather or at least textiles?
    I think this is why Cruiser people drive so slow (yeah, I said "drive"). If you're not wearing the right gear you feel like you're going a lot faster than you really are. Having the wind whip you in the face and the arms and whatever else isn't covered makes you feel like you're going 80 instead of 40. Effin' moving road blocks.

segue...

By the way, has anyone else noticed that there are about 100 cruisers to every sportbike these days? So many poseur badasses...
    Not everyone is into speed, hell half the sportbike riders don't have a clue how to ride their bikes, and talk about posing.

I've seen worse.

LEO's who ride typically wear open face DOT lids with the mic.

I remember meeting one LEO at Vickery back in 98-99 and the LEO was a pretty boy. (punt intended)

Edit: the LEO had facial reconstructive surgery. Obviously, I didn't give this major detail. People will do what they want and it's nobody's biz except their own.
    Last edited by dapper; Tue Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: woopz
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Do you wear full leather or at least textiles?
    Ummmm...you couldn't tell by my post? All the gear, all the time. I wear a Dainese leather jacket with real back protector, full-face Shoei, Bohn fully-armored pants under my jeans, SIDI race-style boots, and Alpinestar full-gauntlet gloves. If I'm just going cruising I leave the Bohns off and wear my SIDI street boots. Everything else goes on.

I have a Rev'It textile jacket but to me it's for less-serious riding. They don't offer the protection of leather and their armor is usually less stout. If it's super-hot and you're sight-seeing, that's what they're great for. That said, I used to wear an Aerostich suit that I loved. Great armor, great features. A bit on the bulky side but good for all riding. I used to wear full-leathers a lot but I sold them and haven't replaced them yet, but I will. I used to live for trackdays but I've been so busy that they've been left by the wayside, which is why I sold them. I want to get back into it and will buy the right gear when I do. I'm also thinking about getting a Forcefield Pro Sub-4 back protector. They're supposed to be the best ever from all the reviews and comparos I've read.

Not everyone is into speed, hell half the sportbike riders don't have a clue how to ride their bikes, and talk about posing.
    I take it you have a cruiser? I actually have nothing against cruisers. My problem is with those who ride them at barely the speed limit or less, which is just about all of 'em (except on highways). When a bike is holding up a line of cars on a twisty road, there's simply something dead wrong. You don't have to be into speed to have fun on a motorcycle, and all motorcycles are fun.

I definitely don't push it like I used to. The Pace is pretty much my bible. Mature speed in the straights and fun in the twisties. As far as many sportbike riders not knowing how to ride, I think you can say that about any group of riders. There are always those who ride beyond their limits or the limits of their environment. Everyone's been guilty of it. I'm the last one to criticize another sportbike rider. It's very easy to get over your head on a bike. Although I have to say that I think sportbikes are safer than cruisers in the hands of better riders. The better your acceleration, braking, and handling, and with a seating position that allows you to better control the bike; the easier it's going to be to get out of trouble (not just into trouble).

As far as lots of sportbike riders being poseurs, I disagree. There are of course some folks with race graphics and full-leathers on the street but a lot of them can back it up. Most riders I see wear what they want. They don't wear some uniform that makes them look like Hells Angels every time they get on the bike. I love seeing some guy that looks like a prototypical badass biker dude riding to his $600k house in the 'burbs. Cracks me up every time. Harley riders can't go out without every stitch of clothing saying H-D on it somewhere. I don't think I even have a t-shirt that says Suzuki.

Back to the subject, I think if you're going to wear a helmet why not wear the one that best protects? Half helmets are great if you're a soldier but they don't protect much in a motorcycle crash. I'm not beautiful but I'd like to keep my face just the way it is thank you. I think a high-quality flip-up helmet is pretty cool though. The ones being made today are very protective and have a lot of thoughtful features. My wife has one as a matter of fact.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Back to the subject, I think if you're going to wear a helmet why not wear the one that best protects?
    I think people ought to quit worrying about what other people are wearing and riding.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I think people ought to quit worrying about what other people are wearing and riding.

Dirk
    Ya, but KNOW that will never happen......................................ever.. ..............................ever.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

..............ever.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

Ummmm...you couldn't tell by my post? All the gear, all the time.
    Ummmm no I can't tell what you wear, I assume helmet, gloves and boots. The rest was not clear. There are many people that preach all the gear all the time and consider jeans and a mesh jacket as "all the gear" as they relay their stories about how they wadded their shit and their gear saved their asses, except their asses (and legs) have road rash due to crashing in jeans.
    I take it you have a cruiser?

Why do you suppose sportbikes cost soo much to insure?

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post

Dirk
    +1