Thread: Areas to look to rent

Member Yearly Supporter Jtigger's Avatar

Areas to look to rent

My cousin and her family are coming to Ft Carson when her husband returns from deployment in March. The on post wait list for housing is a year long so she was asking what areas to look in to rent a house.
    I know nothing about CO Springs so was hoping for some guidance on what areas of town you all would recommend.

Re: Areas to look to rent

the apartments on east lasalle st arent too bad. i pay about 650 for rent, my little shed thing, and i think that includes the electric and water bill. its a 2 bedroom with a diningroom. and 4 closets. its called pinecrest apartments.
    Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by mutantsquirl View Post
    the apartments on east lasalle st arent too bad. i pay about 650 for rent, my little shed thing, and i think that includes the electric and water bill. its a 2 bedroom with a diningroom. and 4 closets. its called pinecrest apartments.
    Talk about flashbacks! My first apartment was on E. LaSalle! I remember it being a nice area but enough years have gone by that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

South east not real bueno. East not real bueno until you get further east around powers.

If you can call the housing office and pick their brains as well as Peterson AFB housing.

Used to be you could find military servicemembers flyers there who wanted to rent their digs.

Also AHRN.com is a network for military housing - servicemember buy/sell/rent.

Good luck.

John

How big of a place are they looking for?
    How much are they looking to pay?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Also tell them to post up in whatever local military journal there is, a lot of military own houses but are deployed right now and rent out to other military families.

I am stationed at Ft. Carson and live in the broadmoore/ cheyenne mtn area. I love the area, no crime/ drugs ( which both seem to be everywhere in the springs)! Most apts range from 700 and up but are usually very nice with new appliances and such. The homes range from 800 and up but usually around 1100 and many are owned by others in the military, so they are more willing to work with you if it is needed.
    2005 CBR600RR-SOLD
    2009 CBR1000RR-NEW LOVE

I will have a house up for rent just outside Gate 20. 4 bedroom house in a cul-de-sac. Nice quiet neigborhood and the lot is just over half an acre. 2 sheds for storage and the back yard is huge with privacy fence all the way around.

There's no place like home............

I'm sure she'll be wanting a 3 bdrm as they have two kiddos and I really don't know on what they are looking to pay and they do have a dog. I would guess they want to keep some balance btwn the drive to post and good schools etc.

She has found a lot of good info so far off of the site John suggested and I'll keeping passing along the info.

You guys rock thanks!!

If they have kids that are school age, I heard a lot of good things about D-20 or up north in Monument.
    Make sure they check out the area's registered sex offenders, too. http://www.springsgov.com/units/police/soagreement.asp

Monument to Ft Carson drive will beat them down. Between winter weather and traffic, I would not recommend it. Especially if there is some sort of requirement to be there for PT in the morning.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEffinK View Post
    Monument to Ft Carson drive will beat them down. Between winter weather and traffic, I would not recommend it. Especially if there is some sort of requirement to be there for PT in the morning.

John
    Yah and they are from NC so a 2 wheel drive truck and a mustang. . neither good snow vehicles to make that long of a treck. Hubby and I thought of Monument initially as well.

+100 on not Monument Hill.

I got caught driving from Denver to Springs to play some airsoft 3 years or so ago in the middle of winter. Long story short, I was somewhere around Monument (I couldn't tell - whiteout) doing 15mph in 4wd in my Ranger, and still losing traction. Not fun.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Jtigger View Post
    I'm sure she'll be wanting a 3 bdrm as they have two kiddos and I really don't know on what they are looking to pay and they do have a dog. I would guess they want to keep some balance btwn the drive to post and good schools etc.

She has found a lot of good info so far off of the site John suggested and I'll keeping passing along the info.

You guys rock thanks!!
    I work on Ft. Carson and it takes me 10 minutes at the most to get to work. There is also a kennel in the back yard with a doggie door right off the back deck. The area is District 3 schools and the bus picks the kids up right on the side of the house.

There's no place like home............

I would still introduce them to the idea for the following reasons:
    1. There is a commissary on AFA
    2. Medical treatment on AFA is better
    3. If he deploys, does it really matter that much?
    We used to live in Monument (Jackson Creek which is before the hill), and it was doable even w/o a four wheel drive.

Let them make the decision....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEffinK View Post
    South east not real bueno. East not real bueno until you get further east around powers.

If you can call the housing office and pick their brains as well as Peterson AFB housing.

Used to be you could find military servicemembers flyers there who wanted to rent their digs.

Also AHRN.com is a network for military housing - servicemember buy/sell/rent.

Good luck.

John
    No where in this town is real bad. I live south east

Quote Originally Posted by konaman View Post
    I am stationed at Ft. Carson and live in the broadmoore/ cheyenne mtn area. I love the area, no crime/ drugs ( which both seem to be everywhere in the springs)! Most apts range from 700 and up but are usually very nice with new appliances and such. The homes range from 800 and up but usually around 1100 and many are owned by others in the military, so they are more willing to work with you if it is needed.

Drugs are even more so in that area you just may not see it as much but they are there. Like stated before they are everywhere in this town

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    I will have a house up for rent just outside Gate 20. 4 bedroom house in a cul-de-sac. Nice quiet neigborhood and the lot is just over half an acre. 2 sheds for storage and the back yard is huge with privacy fence all the way around.
    Plus 1. and Dallas is a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    I would still introduce them to the idea for the following reasons:
    1. There is a commissary on AFA
    2. Medical treatment on AFA is better
    3. If he deploys, does it really matter that much?
    We used to live in Monument (Jackson Creek which is before the hill), and it was doable even w/o a four wheel drive.

Let them make the decision....
    I agree with most of this its not a bad idea.

Except for the drive in the snow.
    1. Only few people in this town know how to drive in the snow anyway.
    2. The ones that don't make the trip that much more riskier.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009