Thread: European Tour

European Tour

Alright, so I'm studying abroad for my last semester in college. I couldn't imagine leaving my motorcycle behind, so what the hell why not bring it with me and make an epic tour after classes are done. A little extra debt won't hurt, might as well make it worth paying off right!?

So I'm starting from scratch and looking for advice. I have requested some bids on shipping, it's actually quite reasonable. 750$ for a two month sea voyage and pickup at Barcelona. Air travel is quicker but around 2k. Anyone done this before any recommend one over the other aside from price?

Saddle bags, I need something that will fit on an RC51, kind of elevated pipes, so any suggestions?

Onto Europe! Anyone want to share some experiences? I'll be studying in Spain, but plan on literally going as far as possible until I run out of money have to peddle the bike and fly back home. Any major differences with insurance, exhausts, etc?

I'm just starting to plan this from scratch so if you got a place that you think is a must see, a past story or any helpful information please let me know!

Thanks,
    Dave

P.S. Shameless plug, I'm trying to sell an Xterra in the for sale section!
    Last edited by FortitudoX; Tue Oct 19th, 2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos!
    ~Fortitudo et Fides~
    ~Honoro in Diem~
    ~Ethos Anthropou Daimon~ Ole Greek sayin'
    ~To endeavor to speak the truth in every instance; to give nobody expectations that are not likely to be answered, but aim at sincerity in every word and action-the most amiable excellence in a rational being~Benjamin Franklin
    ~Rat a tat tat boom goes the RC51~

Re: European Tour

I wonder if you would have any issues riding a CO tagged bike in Europe?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I wonder if you would have any issues riding a CO tagged bike in Europe?
    Ha good point, already something to research!
    ~Fortitudo et Fides~
    ~Honoro in Diem~
    ~To endeavor to speak the truth in every instance; to give nobody expectations that are not likely to be answered, but aim at sincerity in every word and action-the most amiable excellence in a rational being~Benjamin Franklin

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

And your insurance.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I would search ADV rider forums. It's more of an international site. Lots of good info, not just on off road stuff either. Look in the trip touring/ride report section. Depending on the country, you can run into registration issues. Personally, I would probably just go over there and buy a less expensive bike to ride. Why put youyr nice RC51 through the travels back and forth?

$750 each way puts you at $1500, plus you'll have registration issues. I would tag on another couple hundred dollars for that. And chances are you'll bike will get scratched up and abused from sea water (I know people who have shipped stuff over seas and the salt water mist corroded the brakes together). With those factors you are looking at min of $2000-2500. So just buy a $2500 bike once you get there and try to sell it for $1000 before you leave.

Plus, then you can get something a little better for touring. A little more upright. The RC51 is not a common touring bike for a reason!

Sounds like a blast! Have fun.

What about driver's license issues, since they have graduated motorcycle licensing in a lot of places? A thought...

You need to go to Portugal, it is fantastically beautiful. I would also suggest to do a Spanish and an Italian GP. (After seeing Motorland Aragon on tv, I will definitely be making a trip there. And WSBK will be there next year as well.)

Also: Stelvio, Switzerland.
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmgirl View Post
    What about driver's license issues, since they have graduated motorcycle licensing in a lot of places? A thought...
    This was my thought too... Interested in the results tho, so pls post 'em up!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

http://micapeak.com/pages/shipbike.html

it can cost quite a bit and you have to worry about it being damaged in the shipping. might be better just to rent a bike there. rental options for bikes in europe are far more plentiful than they are in the US.

if you're talking a multi month tour, shipping would be cheaper, but if it's only going to be a couple weeks, renting will be way cheaper.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Best of luck man! I hope you have some epic rides. Enjoy, be careful, and post pics!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

My plan (someday) is to buy a cheap dual sport once in Europe. Abuse the crap outta it for three months and then sell it for scrap iron.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    I would search ADV rider forums. It's more of an international site. Lots of good info, not just on off road stuff either. Look in the trip touring/ride report section. Depending on the country, you can run into registration issues. Personally, I would probably just go over there and buy a less expensive bike to ride. Why put youyr nice RC51 through the travels back and forth?

$750 each way puts you at $1500, plus you'll have registration issues. I would tag on another couple hundred dollars for that. And chances are you'll bike will get scratched up and abused from sea water (I know people who have shipped stuff over seas and the salt water mist corroded the brakes together). With those factors you are looking at min of $2000-2500. So just buy a $2500 bike once you get there and try to sell it for $1000 before you leave.

Plus, then you can get something a little better for touring. A little more upright. The RC51 is not a common touring bike for a reason!

Sounds like a blast! Have fun.

Hey thanks for the well wishes, and sorry for the lapse in response got a little distracted. I'll definitely post some pics when it is all said and done.

I thought heavily on it and I think I will probably end up trying to buy a bike out there. My RC is fairly beat up, sadly some hooligans ran through my parking garage with baseball bats so I wasn't too concerned about the cosmetic stuff. I mainly wanted to bring it over because I'm confident in the condition of the important stuff, and have taken good care as far as maintenance goes. For a long trek I wanted something dependable, and buying used you are never entirely sure what you will get.

Haha as far as touring...well I did NC to CO on a ninja and the few hours of twisties in the Appalachian were worth the ten miserable in the prairies. Although I have seen some touring bikes tear it up so I may be underestimating them.

I'll be there for six months, so definitely want to buy, or maybe rent for the free time I have after courses end. I came across that link too Mista, was dated for 1993 through, so not sure how relevant it is.

Any chance there are some Europeans out here want to do a bike/truck swap!? hehe
    ~Fortitudo et Fides~
    ~Honoro in Diem~

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmgirl View Post

You need to go to Portugal, it is fantastically beautiful. I would also suggest to do a Spanish and an Italian GP. (After seeing Motorland Aragon on tv, I will definitely be making a trip there. And WSBK will be there next year as well.)

Also: Stelvio, Switzerland.

Hmm, I rented a car out in Israel with an American license without a problem so I feel like it should be ok in Europe considering how strict Israel is on most things. I guess that is a car though, I would probably just play the ignorant American card.

Zach's link had some info on a international drivers license too...

Good call on the GPs, it is on my list! Portugal as well!
    ~Fortitudo et Fides~
    ~Honoro in Diem~

Who takes a ball bat to an RC? Effin' morons!
    John
    KTM Duke 690