Thread: New words

New words

In a backlash against the growing use of alienating jargon, people have been coming up with their own wry interpretations of the all-consuming technological revolution.
    Here are 10 of the best.
    1. Plugthug: someone who'd kill for access to recharging facilities.
    Paul, Chester
    2. Game-shame: The feeling of slight embarrassment that occurs when you realise what you thought was about half an hour of game play was actually about five hours, especially when you have inadvertently missed an event to which, under normal circumstances, you would have assigned a higher priority than game play.
    Ray D, Turku, Finland
    3. Spamnesia: failing to reply to e-mails from friends, because your computer thinks they're spam.
    Rob, Australia
    4. Meanderthal: someone who tries to drive or walk while using a mobile phone.
    Dave Case, Wokingham
    5. Sheeple: people who have to go out and buy the latest gadget (usually one whose name starts with an "i") just because they believe that everyone else is getting one, and they can't bear the thought of being left out.
    Mike Plunkett, Fleet, Hampshire
    6. Memail: e-mail I send to myself to remind me to do things. Everyone else spends all day reading and sending e-mail to each other, I prefer mine to be private.
    John Dolan, Cambridge
    7. Nerds-nest: the tangle of cables behind your TV or desk.
    John, Wellington
    8. Faceless: what happens when you get either vindictive or drunk and post on Facebook, someone finds it offensive and your account is suspended.
    Tim Ellam, Ashburton
    9. Dot con: the process of making money from the internet.
    Robert, Rochester
    ...and, to end on a more uplifting note...
    10. My word isn't exactly anti-tech, but it does fill a gap in the language. When I have a friendly conversation by e-mail with a new acquaintance, I finish the e-mail with "nice to have intermet you." A smiley emoticon is optional. If the Oxford English Dictionary is interested, please give them my number.
    Kaylie, Runcorn
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Re: New words

I memail all the time...

It's a pretty common occurrence around my office where you don't have access to personal email/phones/whatever...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Re: New words

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I memail all the time...

It's a pretty common occurrence around my office where you don't have access to personal email/phones/whatever...
    Me too! I even have my email stored in my phone so I can just text a quick note.